FanimeCon 2013 Swap Meet: Official Thread (with FAQ)

Started by StillMyWords, April 22, 2013, 12:31:00 PM

StillMyWords

Hello everyone!

My name is Matt and I'm the Head of FanimeCon's Swap Meet this year.

First of all my apologies that the registration is not up and running yet. We'll be announcing the date for registration to live soon. In the meantime here is the FAQ for this year, cross-posted from http://www.fanime.com/essentials/event-registration/#swap-meet (where you can also find our Seller's Agreement for 2013).

That said, here are the Frequently Asked Questions for this year's Swap Meet. Please contact swapmeetATfanimeDOTcom if you have any questions. I will also be keeping an eye on this thread and will do my best to answer any questions you may have.

Where is the Swap Meet located this year?
The Swap Meet will be held in Exhibit Hall 1.

Where do I go to sign up for a swap meet space? When do signups begin?
Swap Meet space sign-ups have not yet been scheduled. We are working hard to get Swap Meet Registration online. Please keep an eye on our website, facebook, twitter, or forums and you should be notified by those means as to when registration will come up. Sign-ups are done online ONLY.

How many Swap Meet spaces can I sign up for?
Each seller may have a maximum of ONE Swap Meet space. You may also add one other seller to the space. However, there may only be a maximum of two sellers at each space. You may not swap spaces with another seller or take yourself out of your own space so that another may occupy it.

I am part of a group. How is that handled?
There are no group sign-ups. Groups are handled as seating requests; during the Swap Meet sign-up process, please include a request to be seated together. Please be aware that while we do our best to accommodate such requests, they are not guaranteed.

What do I need in order to sign up?
During sign ups you will need to provide general information including your name, email address, a FanimeCon 2013 membership and answer some questions about what you are selling and when you would like to sell. Payment for your space will be collected during registration. You will also need to print and fill out the FanimeCon Swap Meet agreement. Once the process is completed bring your completed form, and your California seller's permit (if applicable), to the Swap Meet check in on Thursday or Friday to receive your space.

Is there a minimum age for participating in the Swap Meet?
The minimum age for any seller is sixteen (16) years of age at the time of signing the Swap Meet Agreement. Any seller under the age of eighteen (18) at the signing of the agreement must have the consent of a parent or legal guardian while selling. An adult friend is NOT considered an eligible legal guardian. The parent or legal guardian will need to sign and complete the space agreement as well and include a photocopy of their identification.

Do I have to preregister for FanimeCon as part of Swap Meet?
Yes, preregistering for Fanime is a requirement in order to secure a space at the Swap Meet. You must have a valid FanimeCon 2013 attendee membership to sell at Swap Meet. Those without a 2013 attendee badge may inquire about a space at [email protected].

Do I need a California Seller's Permit at the time of my Swap Meet registration?
No, but you are required to have a Sellers Permit if you are selling (even temporarily) new, collectible or handcrafted items, or used items you have purchased for the purpose of reselling to others. You are not required to hold a permit if you are only making occasional sales, or selling products that are not taxable when sold at retail or selling on behalf of a section 6015 retailer (e.g. Avon, Tupperware, etc.). You are also not required to hold a permit if you are making sales two (2) or fewer times in a 12-month period. Additional Seller's Permit information, including the locations where individuals may obtain them, can be found at the California State Board of Equalization web site: http://www.boe.ca.gov/info/reg.htm.

How do I accept the Swap Meet Agreement as required?
You will be asked to agree to the Swap Meet Agreement online during the signup process by the use of a checkbox. You will also need to bring a signed copy of the Swap Meet Agreement to check-in at the convention.

When will I know if I have a space?
When you sign-up you will be notified whether you are on the main registration for the day, or if you are on the waiting list.

What happens to my sign-up request if the Swap Meet is full?
Once the Swap Meet is full, additional space sign-up requests will be put on a waiting list in order of their receipt. If spaces become available, sellers will be contacted by email with further instructions on how to claim a space. Please watch for announcements as to when the Swap Meet is full.

What are my chances of getting a space if I'm on the waiting list?
It is unknown how many waiting list spaces will be approved. Sellers on the waiting list are encouraged to seek other sellers looking to share a space. A good place to do that is on the FanimeCon forums: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/board,31.0.html

When is payment collected for the event?
The space payment of $30 per space, per day is collected at the time of registration, we currently accept Paypal payments (a PayPal account is not required to pay for your space). If you are placed on the Waiting List and receive a space, your payment will be collected during registration in cash only.

What is included with the Swap Meet fee?
The Swap Meet fee includes one ten (10) foot by five (5) foot space for your use for one day of the convention. The fee does NOT include Attendee Registration which must be purchased separately and can be found here: http://www.fanime.com/registration/#attendee.

Is WiFi available?
There is no public WiFi in Exhibit Hall 1.

Can I get access to electricity in the Swap Meet?
No. Electrical drops will not be available during the Swap Meet.

Can I play music at my space?
Music is allowed at an acceptable sound level as determined by Swap Meet Staff.

How do I check in at the convention?
On Thursday/Friday, the Swap Meet will open several hours ahead of time for sellers to check in and set up their spaces. The exact time will be announced after sign-ups are complete. In order to check in you will need:

A state ID, driver's license or passport (student IDs are not acceptable forms of identification).
Your FanimeCon 2013 member badge.
A signed copy of the Swap Meet Agreement.
Minors only ages sixteen (16) and up – The Swap Meet agreement also signed and completed by their parent/legal guardian.
Minors only ages sixteen (16) and up – A photocopy of the parent/legal guardian's ID.
A copy of your California Seller's Permit if applicable (See #7).
Can I get a space in both the Dealers Room and the Swap Meet?
No.

Can I send someone else to the convention to sell my items?
No. Your Swap Meet space is reserved for you and your partner seller (if applicable). Please see the Swap Meet Agreement for more detailed information.

Can a parent or friend help me with setting up or selling if they don't have a convention badge?
No.

I won't be able to carry all of my merchandise in one trip in my suitcase. What should I do?
Dollys and handtrucks are prohibited per SJCCF Union Rules. Sellers may only bring their wares into the Swap Meet by hand in ONE trip. You may NOT use a hand truck, dolly, wire mesh cart, or similar transport to bring in your items. You may use normal sized luggage suitcases with wheels that are fully closed/zipped when transporting wares, backpacks, or any closed container, or bag carried by hand.

Are there restrictions on how I set up my Swap Meet space?
Shelving, clothing racks, tables, and anything which might block or obscure the view of other vendors, buyers, security, or staff is strictly prohibited. Taping or pinning items to the walls is strictly prohibited.

Do I have to be at my space 24/7? Is it okay to leave occasionally?
You are free to choose when you leave your Swap Meet space. Once you leave your space you may not return and your space will be considered 'Closed' for the evening.

Can I leave my stuff at my space overnight?
Items may not be left at your space overnight. Each space must be cleared of any items before leaving. Anything you leave in the Swap Meet will be disposed of.

Are there any items which are not permitted in the Swap Meet?
Hazardous items of any kind, this includes but is not limited to all projectile weapons (such as airsoft or bb/pellet guns, bows, crossbows, and firearms), live steel, metal/wooden baseball bats, metal kunai, incendiary devices, lasers, laser pointers, paddles, whips, floggers, brass knuckles, butterfly knives, concealed blades, throwing stars, tonfa, saps, clubs, nunchaku, sai, tessen, jitte, and metal or glass props are not permitted. Balloons of any kind are also not permitted under any circumstances in the Swap Meet. Please refer to the Swap Meet Agreement for more detailed information.

Can I have food at my space?
You may not sell or hand out food or candy to attendees. You are allowed to have food or beverages at your space for your personal consumption only.

What restrictions are there on selling prop weaponry?
Weapons, except for cosplay prop items thatare not already licensed in any form, are not permitted. Any weapon-like props must be authorized and peace bonded by Rovers immediately after sale. A copy of the FanimeCon Weapons Policy must be provided with every sale. Please contact the Swap Meet Staff upon registration request to be appraised of other restrictions that must be adhered to. For more information on FanimeCon's Code of Conduct, including cosplay rules and weapons policy, please visit: http://www.fanime.com/essentials/code-of-conduct.

What restrictions are there on selling adult material?
All material that is inappropriate for minors must be covered and/or stored away. A maximum of 1 long box (L 27.25 x W 7.5 x H 10. 8) of adult material is permitted, and it must be covered with an opaque lid and clearly marked indicating the contents. Customers must be of legal age (18) to view or purchase said material. It is the responsibility of the seller to verify legal age prior to the viewing or purchasing of said material by attendees.

What can happen to me if I'm found to be in violation of the rules?
Depending on the infraction you may be given a warning or you may forfeit your Swap Meet space and will no longer be able to sell. Please be aware that all persons at your space are responsible for following all of the rules of the Swap Meet.

How does the San Jose plastic bag ban affect me as a seller?
The Bring Your Own Bag Ordinance is currently effective since January 1, 2012. For sellers the new law states: "You are unable to provide free single-use carryout plastic bags to customers at check out. You may sell reusable bags or 40 percent post-consumer recycled content paper bags. Post-consumer recycled content paper bags must be sold for a minimum price of 10 cents each, and the sale must be itemized separately on the sales receipt." For more information please visit: http://www.sanjoseca.gov/index.aspx?nid=1526.

Can you clarify what merchandise is not allowed?
Per the Swap Meet agreement, reproductions of any existing licensed merchandise in any form are not allowed. While this applies to all categories of art, there has been some confusion with merchandise in particular. If there is a legal licensed merchandise of that type it is considered a "knock off" or "bootleg" and is not allowed to be sold in the Swap Meet. This also applies to hats, props, pins, pillows, and other such items. These items are considered knock offs.

Does Swap Meet have a list of all the legal items out there?
Sellers are required to abide by the Swap Meet Agreement. This means you are responsible to know if there is licensed merchandise of the type you intend to sell or not and whether or not your items are bootlegs (ie. EverAnime, Aliors, Elfin, fansubs, etc). Anyone caught selling such items at your Swap Meet space, you(and everyone at the space) will be warned, or may immediately forfeit the space for the remainder of the convention. Swap Meet staff will have the final say on what may be sold in the Swap Meet.

What sellers may sell in the Swap Meet?
Only sellers with a regular membership badge may sell in the Swap Meet. Those with Professional, Industry, or other types of badges are not allowed to sell.

If you are a member of FanimeCon staff, you need to get approval from your Head and the Fan Services Division to sell in the Swap Meet BEFORE paying for a space.

Please feel free to email swapmeetATfanimeDOTcom if you have other questions or concerns.
FanimeCon 2013 Fan Services Staff
Swap Meet Head

Tiger5913

Hello Matt,

I have a question about space assignment.  Last year, it was first-come first-serve and assigned in person.  How will the spaces be assigned this year?  I think I read somewhere that it would be random.

warbearer

ewu

Quote from: warbearer on April 23, 2013, 09:24:47 AM
What if paypal does not accept my credit card?

Paypal accepts all major credit cards: Visa, MC, AMEX, and Discover.

If there are problems with your account specifically, then you would need to contact your bank or paypal.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

StillMyWords

Quote from: Tiger5913 on April 23, 2013, 07:42:48 AM
Hello Matt,

I have a question about space assignment.  Last year, it was first-come first-serve and assigned in person.  How will the spaces be assigned this year?  I think I read somewhere that it would be random.

Space assignment will be doled out ahead of time by Swap Meet staff but you will not know your space until the event. We'll be taking in to account all requests for people to be placed near each other (though we cannot guarantee they will happen 100%), medical conditions, and other factors (ie. evidence of dealers present last year in the swap meet) to determine where people will be placed. It is still a first-come first-serve registration.
Swap Meet Head

linefaced

If we're planning on selling, will we be required to have our badges even on Thursday?  I've had issues in previous years with being able to make it through the registration line and then up to line up for the Swap Meet in the past, which was remedied two years ago by the Swap Meet staff giving us our badges at the actual Swap Meet, and then last year by not requiring us to physically have the badge on us for just Thursday.  Is there something similar that will be implemented this year, like sellers potentially being included as eligible for the Special Registration line?

StillMyWords

Quote from: linefaced on April 25, 2013, 03:10:05 PM
If we're planning on selling, will we be required to have our badges even on Thursday?  I've had issues in previous years with being able to make it through the registration line and then up to line up for the Swap Meet in the past, which was remedied two years ago by the Swap Meet staff giving us our badges at the actual Swap Meet, and then last year by not requiring us to physically have the badge on us for just Thursday.  Is there something similar that will be implemented this year, like sellers potentially being included as eligible for the Special Registration line?

I am currently investigating what options I have at my disposal regarding this as I know it is incredibly difficult to pick up a badge Thursday and then make it to Swap Meet in time to check in (I've done it before, not fun). Once I'm able to hammer everything out I will post an update here.
Swap Meet Head

warbearer

StillMyWords

It is still a work in progress, but will be done soon. An announcement will go up once we have a date in place to open registration.
Swap Meet Head

krispy_kream

I have a question about carrying my things; do bags also need to be close-able, or will an open top bag be alright?

Also, I have a wallscroll I was hoping to sell but it does not actually fit inside any sort of container, can I have it sticking out of a bag or zipped up backpack?
Fanime Cosplay 2013!
Persona 4 - Rise Kujikawa
Persona 3 - Female main character
Bioshick Infinite - Elizabeth

StillMyWords

Quote from: krispy_kream on May 01, 2013, 09:12:13 PM
I have a question about carrying my things; do bags also need to be close-able, or will an open top bag be alright?

Also, I have a wallscroll I was hoping to sell but it does not actually fit inside any sort of container, can I have it sticking out of a bag or zipped up backpack?

Both of those situations should not cause any problems. An open top bag is acceptable and you can have a wall scroll in said bag or backpack.
Swap Meet Head

Xeluu

Question!
I noticed you're cracking down on items matching what you've listed on your form this year, and additionally that you're requiring a copy of said form when registering.

How strict are you going to be on that? Do I need to list each item separately? Can I list things in general categories (i.e. plush, trading cards, action figures, manga, etc.)? And if I found extra items, could I list them on the form I'd be handing in day of, or would I simply not be allowed to sell those things?

Thanks in advance for your response!
2016 Cosplay Plans
Gomamon/Gabumon - Digimon
Jolteon Gijinka - Pokemon
Oogie Boogie - Nightmare Before Christmas

StillMyWords

Quote from: Xeluu on May 02, 2013, 01:44:47 PM
Question!
I noticed you're cracking down on items matching what you've listed on your form this year, and additionally that you're requiring a copy of said form when registering.

How strict are you going to be on that? Do I need to list each item separately? Can I list things in general categories (i.e. plush, trading cards, action figures, manga, etc.)? And if I found extra items, could I list them on the form I'd be handing in day of, or would I simply not be allowed to sell those things?

Thanks in advance for your response!

This is mainly to prevent people from sneaking in items that are not meant to be sold as listed in the FAQ. You are required to fill out the form and bring it in during check-in, it does not need to be mailed/submitted to us before that. If you give us a general listing of the items you are selling that is acceptable, and if you find anything extra and list it that is fine as well.

Hopefully that clears things up for you. If you have any other questions please feel free to contact us at [email protected] and we'll get back to you. Thanks!
Swap Meet Head

ChibiStarFutch

QuoteDo I have to be at my space 24/7? Is it okay to leave occasionally?
You are free to choose when you leave your Swap Meet space. Once you leave your space you may not return and your space will be considered 'Closed' for the evening.

In regards to this, what about bathroom breaks?

StillMyWords

Quote from: ChibiStarFutch on May 06, 2013, 06:13:07 PM
QuoteDo I have to be at my space 24/7? Is it okay to leave occasionally?

In regards to this, what about bathroom breaks?

We apologize for the unclear verbiage, in this instance we mean that once you pack up your items your space is considered 'closed.' We won't consider you closed if you need to go use the restroom.
Swap Meet Head

Angelx624

I have a question about the Swap Meet, but it's not about selling.

Will those without a badge on Thursday(Day Zero) be able to check out the Swap Meet that day?
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Satsuki (Totoro)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)
Mikoto Misaka

warbearer

Regarding plastic bags, we are not allowed to give them away to the customers but can we use them to transport our items?

StillMyWords

Angelx624 - We'll be keeping an eye on that situation and make announcements accordingly.

Quote from: warbearer on May 08, 2013, 08:28:49 AM
Regarding plastic bags, we are not allowed to give them away to the customers but can we use them to transport our items?

Yes plastic bags can be used to carry your items. How you got those bags in the first place is of no concern to us.
Swap Meet Head

Hachimitsu

Quote from: StillMyWords on May 08, 2013, 06:02:48 PM
Angelx624 - We'll be keeping an eye on that situation and make announcements accordingly.

Quote from: warbearer on May 08, 2013, 08:28:49 AM

Yes plastic bags can be used to carry your items. How you got those bags in the first place is of no concern to us.

do the best you can, I am glad someone is taking the mantle on doing the fanime swap meet this year... otherwise i would be heartbroken if this event was cancelled! v-v!

Angelx624

(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Satsuki (Totoro)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)
Mikoto Misaka