FanimeCon 2013 Swap Meet: Official Thread (with FAQ)

Started by StillMyWords, April 22, 2013, 12:31:00 PM

Anon

Since it hasn't been stated in the FAQ or mentioned anywhere here on the forum, how will the actual check-in process happen? I realize you guys are probably still ironing out the last wrinkles on this situation, but I kind of liked last years process that was in place. As long as there is SOME process put in place, I would be happy.

Just thought I'd ask, seeing how we're under the 2 week mark now, and hadn't seen any info on the matter

Eurobeat King

Quote from: Anon on May 10, 2013, 08:07:31 AM
we're under the 2 week mark now, and hadn't seen any info.

I'm getting concerned too..  Not for myself since I'm not doing it this year, but mainly for a lot of my friends who are planning to participate in the Swap Meet.   :-\

"Freedom is the right of all sentient cosplayers."

Devereaux

I'd love an significant update with actual content before they close con registration on the night of the 12th. I'm a broke bastard with little free time so I plan on showing up Friday to get a single day "at con" badge just for swap. This worked out pretty well last year, as from what I remember, they had the swap meet reg up hella early so I at least knew I had a spot and wasn't wasting what little time I had checking back multiple times every day down to the wire to find out if there is even a reason to take time off to even attend the con itself.

To be completely transparent, what I'm getting at is, I am only attending this year to sell my shit. I will sell that shit out of the back of my truck in a shady parking lot around the corner if it comes to it. One way or another, I need to get it out of here. So please, help a son out so I don't have to end up doing that.

I appreciate you setting this up, working on the back end, or whatever it is that needs to be done for this event, and I hate to be so blunt but I've been waiting on you since the 22nd of last month to throw out some news so I can get the ball rolling.
I 'ctrl' through Visual Novels to collect CG's so I can trick people into thinking I actually played the game.

Eurobeat King

Quote from: Devereaux on May 11, 2013, 12:44:40 AM
I'd love an significant update with actual content before they close con registration on the night of the 12th.

Sadly, I don't see that happening before Sunday night comes to a close.  :P

"Freedom is the right of all sentient cosplayers."

ewu

I'm a broke bastard with little free time so I plan on showing up Friday to get a single day "at con" badge just for swap.

Unfortunately, that will not work out for this year:
Do I have to preregister for FanimeCon as part of Swap Meet?
Yes, preregistering for Fanime is a requirement in order to secure a space at the Swap Meet. You must have a valid FanimeCon 2013 attendee membership to sell at Swap Meet. Those without a 2013 attendee badge may inquire about a space at swapmeetATfanimeDOTcom.

You can email, but that is for other inquiries. The bottom line is that a full weekend membership must be purchased. Sorry!

Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Devereaux

Quote from: ewu on May 11, 2013, 12:57:05 AM
I'm a broke bastard with little free time so I plan on showing up Friday to get a single day "at con" badge just for swap.

Yes, preregistering for Fanime is a requirement in order to secure a space at the Swap Meet. You must have a valid FanimeCon 2013 attendee membership to sell at Swap Meet. Those without a 2013 attendee badge may inquire about a space at swapmeetATfanimeDOTcom.

You can email, but that is for other inquiries. The bottom line is that a full weekend membership must be purchased. Sorry!

I saw that. It was exactly like that last year, I only had to be preregistered on the main site. I believe it had to do with how you registered on the swap meet site for a spot or something. I had an unpaid account and I was allowed to go and pickup a badge the day of. Perhaps I found a loophole, but I did follow through and emailed last year about it and was given the OK. So, unless you are telling me now, and not just quoting verbatim, as in you actually know first hand, that my scheme won't play out in my favor this year. I will attempt to hold out till the last minute to try and save some money and prevent buying an overly useless full weekend badge for someone only going Friday.
I 'ctrl' through Visual Novels to collect CG's so I can trick people into thinking I actually played the game.

warbearer

Man I hope the registration does not go live on the 14th/15th of May because I will be traveling by plane on those days

StillMyWords

Hi Everyone,

I have been testing the Swap Meet registration process today. And after the IT guys get in a few more tweaks we'll be ready to roll.

The Swap Meet Registration will open on Monday 5/13 at 12:00PM (PST). It will only be open until the 20th, so please make sure you register as soon as you can as spots will fill up quickly.

In addition to this there will be an extension to FanimeCon's Registration, it will now close on Tuesday 5/14 at 11:59PM PST.
FanimeCon 2013 Fan Services Staff
Swap Meet Head

StillMyWords

Quote from: Devereaux on May 11, 2013, 01:29:00 AM
Quote from: ewu on May 11, 2013, 12:57:05 AM

I saw that. It was exactly like that last year, I only had to be preregistered on the main site. I believe it had to do with how you registered on the swap meet site for a spot or something. I had an unpaid account and I was allowed to go and pickup a badge the day of. Perhaps I found a loophole, but I did follow through and emailed last year about it and was given the OK. So, unless you are telling me now, and not just quoting verbatim, as in you actually know first hand, that my scheme won't play out in my favor this year. I will attempt to hold out till the last minute to try and save some money and prevent buying an overly useless full weekend badge for someone only going Friday.

Hi there,

In your case Devereaux, I can guarantee you will not be able to reserve a spot as you did last year. The current registration system in place requires that you have a full weekend badge in order to register for Swap Meet.

Currently what would happen in your situation, would be you show up on Friday, get a badge, and then you would enter the stand-by line for Swap Meet that will be processed after all individuals that have pre-registered, and wait listed are processed. Only then would you be able to sell.

This is due to a requirement of badge check by our registration system and is in part a reason why we're late to open Swap Meet registration this year as it had to be coded from the ground up. We respect people's personal time outside of FanimeCon obligations and unfortunately things come up. The current registration system is not perfect and I can guarantee it will be revised for next year, though that offers little consolation in the here and now, I wanted to be transparent about what is happening here.
Swap Meet Head

Devereaux

Thank you for being equally transparent. The con badge setup has never been overly flexible, but this year, in my situation, a $30 savings is more than enough to fight for. Well, it is what it is.

Chibi_Haku

Hello!  What time is check in & setting up for the Swap Meet on Friday?  And at what time will it start?  I'll ask for Thursday as well in case anyone needs to know. 

Chibi_Haku

I just found the times are 8pm-1am for Friday and Saturday, but I still would like to know what time we can set up.  What happens if we're late (I have work until 9pm that day).  Thank you for your help! :)

Oniko

Quote from: Chibi_Haku on May 13, 2013, 08:43:59 AM
I just found the times are 8pm-1am for Friday and Saturday, but I still would like to know what time we can set up.  What happens if we're late (I have work until 9pm that day).  Thank you for your help! :)
I think you mean Thursday and Friday
06- Ragnarok Huntress / 07- Haruhi Suzumiya
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

Chibi_Haku

Quote from: Oniko on May 13, 2013, 09:02:09 AM
Quote from: Chibi_Haku on May 13, 2013, 08:43:59 AM
I think you mean Thursday and Friday

Thank you, you're right.

StillMyWords

Quote from: Chibi_Haku on May 13, 2013, 08:40:54 AM
Hello!  What time is check in & setting up for the Swap Meet on Friday?  And at what time will it start?  I'll ask for Thursday as well in case anyone needs to know.

Set-up/Check in will start 2 hours before the event (6pm). We're trying to make this as quick and efficiently as possible, so that you can just walk up and have your spot ready to go. In the case of Thursday it just depends on how early we can get inside and do the prep work for the spaces.
Swap Meet Head

Black_Convoy

Hi there! Wonder what info we'll need to pre-reg for the event. Just our names? Also where will the link be posted? Thanks!

StillMyWords

Quote from: Black_Convoy on May 13, 2013, 10:05:16 AM
Hi there! Wonder what info we'll need to pre-reg for the event. Just our names? Also where will the link be posted? Thanks!

Information that will be required when registering:

Your name
The name of anyone else selling at your space
Badge numbers for each person at your space
Any medical needs/special requests.
A rough listing of the items you will be selling.

The registration will go live at 12pm at this URL -

http://apps.fanime.com/2013/swapmeet/

Hopefully that answers your question. Also to prevent people from squatting on spaces we will be instituting a time-out feature. You must complete your registration withon 20 minutes or you will lose your place in line.
Swap Meet Head

Black_Convoy

Thank you for the prompt reply! The ID number I'm guessing begins with an 'F' and is followed by 5 digits?

StillMyWords

Quote from: Black_Convoy on May 13, 2013, 11:09:28 AM
Thank you for the prompt reply! The ID number I'm guessing begins with an 'F' and is followed by 5 digits?

Correct! Sounds like you've got everything in order.

If anyone encounters any issues while registering please email [email protected] and we'll try to get things fixed as quickly as possible. Thank you!
Swap Meet Head