FanimeCon 2013 Swap Meet: Official Thread (with FAQ)

Started by StillMyWords, April 22, 2013, 12:31:00 PM

animefreak4o8

Hello, I have some questions.
Ill be waiting in line around 6 AM for day zero on Thursday and I want to pick my badge that day too. Is it okay to have my boyfriend to wait in line for swap meet? In the application I put him as the second seller.
Also, what is swap meet set starts on Thursday?

FairyChrissy

I've never been to a swap meet before and I was wondering if people who just wanted to buy stuff had to register or anything. Or maybe I have the concept of Swap Meet wrong >.>

Michi

Quote from: FairyChrissy on May 19, 2013, 04:01:17 PM
I've never been to a swap meet before and I was wondering if people who just wanted to buy stuff had to register or anything. Or maybe I have the concept of Swap Meet wrong >.>

You just have to be registered for the con! Then you just show up and shop around. ;)

Quote from: animefreak4o8 on May 19, 2013, 01:15:43 PM
Hello, I have some questions.
Ill be waiting in line around 6 AM for day zero on Thursday and I want to pick my badge that day too. Is it okay to have my boyfriend to wait in line for swap meet? In the application I put him as the second seller.
Also, what is swap meet set starts on Thursday?

...6 am? You should not be in line so long that your boyfriend will need to go wait in line for swap meet while you do that! I imagine you actually meant 6 pm, yeah?
~ don't dream it, be it ~

Facebook / Twitter / Tumblr

StillMyWords

Sellers are free to collect payment however they see fit. I have personally used a Square reader in the past, just make sure that you and your buyer are aware of who is responsible for the transaction fees associated with the reader.

Also in the next day or two I will be sending out an email to all sellers with some additional info that is ESSENTIAL to your experience at Swap Meet. It's nothing difficult or time consuming, I just want to make sure everyone is able to check in in a speedy and efficient manner.
FanimeCon 2013 Fan Services Staff
Swap Meet Head

Oniko

Im confused on the may need/ may NOT need a permit.
I have a permit for AA/Fanime anyways so I'm not worried but my friend who is only doing Swap Meet has not gotten a response from BOE on her permit yet. I read over the FAQ's but it's a little confusing.  Will she need a permit if this is her only event and she doesnt sell anywhere else?
06- Ragnarok Huntress / 07- Haruhi Suzumiya
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

StillMyWords

Quote from: Oniko on May 20, 2013, 01:51:58 PM
Im confused on the may need/ may NOT need a permit.
I have a permit for AA/Fanime anyways so I'm not worried but my friend who is only doing Swap Meet has not gotten a response from BOE on her permit yet. I read over the FAQ's but it's a little confusing.  Will she need a permit if this is her only event and she doesnt sell anywhere else?

If this is the only event she is selling at then she would qualify as an Exempt status due to being an 'Occasional Seller.' Please email [email protected] if you have any other questions. Thanks!
Swap Meet Head

StillMyWords

I am copy/pasting the email I sent out earlier to sellers who have registered, in case you somehow get here before you get back to your inbox, here you go.

In an effort to alleviate confusion on what you need to bring with you to check in to the Swap Meet I am creating this handy-dandy email. Hopefully you read it before Thursday or Friday (I really hope you do). Please make sure you read this completely and don't be afraid to ask questions if you have any.

If you are coming in Thursday and don't want to pick up your badge before checking in to Swap Meet, that's okay! Please bring a photo ID with you and you'll be fine. Friday though everyone must have their badge to check in. Also please be aware that if there are multiple sellers in your space, all sellers must be present at the time of check-in.

Now, on to the paperwork, you will be turning in the following.

First up, please print and bring a completed copy of the FanimeCon Swap Meet Agreement (found here - http://www.fanime.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Fanime-Swap-Meet-Application-Form-2013.pdf).

Next is the BOE-410-D form (found here - http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/boe410d.pdf) OR a Seller's Permit. If you have a Seller's Permit please bring a copy of that in. If you are an Occasional Seller and qualify for exempt status. Please print and complete form BOE-410-D to the best of your ability, in section 3 you will mark that you are an exempt seller because you are an occasional seller. In the field of Vender/Exhibitor information, that is where you fill out your information, not Fanime's. This form must be completed for each seller.

As always if you have ANY questions please feel free to email us at [email protected]. I'll be watching my email carefully but will be traveling and prepping for FanimeCon over the next few days. I look forward to seeing you all and I appreciate all of your patience in this transition year. I know it hasn't been the smoothest process but I can assure you we'll make things better in the future.
Swap Meet Head

Wartho

Quote from: StillMyWords on May 19, 2013, 09:00:46 PM
Sellers are free to collect payment however they see fit. I have personally used a Square reader in the past, just make sure that you and your buyer are aware of who is responsible for the transaction fees associated with the reader.

Just a word of warning as a former artist alley attendee in Exhibit Hall 1; wifi signals inside there are very weak (my carrier was AT&T) and I had to walk out of the hall to take Square payments.  I would bring some loose change in case this happens as I'm sure it'll be difficult to leave your swap meet booth.

Ecchi ja Nai

Posting here rather than submitting an email so any answers may help others who might be wondering the same things...

I think a lot of confusion is being caused by the way the information is being presented on the Swap Meet seller registration form:
QuoteIf you are selling items previously bought/used, and are selling infrequently, you can claim "occasional seller" status, as defined by the Board of Equalization.

Most Swap Meet sellers fall under this.
    Enter in the word 'EXEMPT' for the Seller's Permit number below.
    However, you must also contact the Swap Meet staff, and submit California's BOE-410-D form to claim this status.

I'm still not really sure why, after completing the registration process, we're required to contact Swap Meet staff via email.  Isn't that who this information is going to?  What exactly are we supposed to say?  "This email is to let you know I've followed your directions for registering as a seller, and you already have all of my information.  kthxbai"
And then those of us who are Exempt, Occasional Sellers need to note our exemption on the website, then on the BOE form as well.  And when it mentions the submission of the form, it's not clear to how or to whom we're supposed to send it.  Having read the email that was sent out, I now know I just need to fill it out and bring it with me, but when I first came across it I wasn't sure if I needed to send it as an attachment in an email to staff or if I need to submit it directly to the CA BOE.  And it still seems a little silly that we need to note our exceptions twice; I'm just assuming that you need the one official claim on the BOE form and then another way for staff to track that information internally.

And to echo another question/concern that someone else had posted previously, assuming we're there early on Day 0, would Swap Meet sellers even be able to pick up their badges that day without having to leave the event early/arrive late?  Per StillMyWords earlier post, Set-Up/Check-In will begin at 6pm.  Badge Pick up doesn't start until 7pm.  Give the option, I'd much rather have my badge on Thursday, since I'm going to be there anyway.  How is that going to work out?  If I'm forced to, I'd rather make sure I get checked in with Swap Meet and just come in earlier on Friday to get my badge then, but I think most people in this situation would rather be able to enjoy Friday as soon as possible without having to wait in the badge pick-up line.  Again, all Day 0 sellers are going to be right there in the convention center on Thursday anyway, and we all need to have preregistered for the con to get that far.

StillMyWords

Quote from: Ecchi ja Nai on May 20, 2013, 05:47:35 PM
Posting here rather than submitting an email so any answers may help others who might be wondering the same things...

I think a lot of confusion is being caused by the way the information is being presented on the Swap Meet seller registration form:
QuoteIf you are selling items previously bought/used, and are selling infrequently, you can claim "occasional seller" status, as defined by the Board of Equalization.

Most Swap Meet sellers fall under this.
    Enter in the word 'EXEMPT' for the Seller's Permit number below.
    However, you must also contact the Swap Meet staff, and submit California's BOE-410-D form to claim this status.

I'm still not really sure why, after completing the registration process, we're required to contact Swap Meet staff via email.  Isn't that who this information is going to?  What exactly are we supposed to say?  "This email is to let you know I've followed your directions for registering as a seller, and you already have all of my information.  kthxbai"
And then those of us who are Exempt, Occasional Sellers need to note our exemption on the website, then on the BOE form as well.  And when it mentions the submission of the form, it's not clear to how or to whom we're supposed to send it.  Having read the email that was sent out, I now know I just need to fill it out and bring it with me, but when I first came across it I wasn't sure if I needed to send it as an attachment in an email to staff or if I need to submit it directly to the CA BOE.  And it still seems a little silly that we need to note our exceptions twice; I'm just assuming that you need the one official claim on the BOE form and then another way for staff to track that information internally.

And to echo another question/concern that someone else had posted previously, assuming we're there early on Day 0, would Swap Meet sellers even be able to pick up their badges that day without having to leave the event early/arrive late?  Per StillMyWords earlier post, Set-Up/Check-In will begin at 6pm.  Badge Pick up doesn't start until 7pm.  Give the option, I'd much rather have my badge on Thursday, since I'm going to be there anyway.  How is that going to work out?  If I'm forced to, I'd rather make sure I get checked in with Swap Meet and just come in earlier on Friday to get my badge then, but I think most people in this situation would rather be able to enjoy Friday as soon as possible without having to wait in the badge pick-up line.  Again, all Day 0 sellers are going to be right there in the convention center on Thursday anyway, and we all need to have preregistered for the con to get that far.

I completely agree and wish I had the time to rewrite those instructions on the registration form before they went out. I am attempting to make it less confusing, and had hoped my email would alleviate that. I can say that in the future this will be fixed and the instructions will be more straightforward. Please bear with us for the time being.

Regarding badge pick-up, that is something we would need to work out with registration to see if it can even be done from a logistics standpoint. It is something we will be discussing and hopefully we can work something out so that people don't have to make this choice. I understand your frustrations believe me, as I have been there before as a regular attendee, it has been a painful transition year with me picking up this position and I hope to make it a better experience for you all going forward.
Swap Meet Head

Ecchi ja Nai

Quote from: StillMyWords on May 20, 2013, 06:26:54 PM
I understand your frustrations believe me, as I have been there before as a regular attendee, it has been a painful transition year with me picking up this position and I hope to make it a better experience for you all going forward.

It's been said before, but not yet by me and it deserves repeating regardless: thank you for taking up the mantle of running Swap Meet this year.  It's become one of the things I most look forward to come Fanime, and I'm glad somebody was there to carry it on for at least another year.

I staffed last year for a different department (which really helped out in terms of picking up my badge before last year's Swap Meet, but doesn't do me much good this time around) but I can't even imagine the weight of responsibilities that come with heading such a large and complex aspect of the con.

While I won't throw hollow, feigned flattery your way by saying I'm sure Swap Meet is going to be pulled off flawlessly before the con even starts, I will at least echo my earlier thanks to you for stepping up and making sure we have a Swap Meet in '13.  Fingers cross, though, that we do wind up with a fantastic meet in a couple of days, and that you're willing and able to do it again next year.

Oh, and do keep any updates (especially regarding badge pick up!) coming our way!  I know I won't be the only one checking back regularly right up through Thursday.

ewu

I want to give some insight about this issue. SM must be on Thurs and Fri. Mainly it must be two days so that you are exempt from getting a sellers permit, but also there are scheduling issues that require it to be only those two night. Because it is in the evening, check-in must begin in the afternoon.

Reg can only open at 7. This is for logistical reasons like availability of the rooms and in the interest of not killing the wonderful reg staffers that are only required to put in 24 total hours, but often end up putting in 50+ hours. (Minus 6 sleeping hours....Fanime is only about 72 hours long....) We have tried to alleviate this with a pre-con badge check so that you do not need to pick up your badge. Next year we may explore giving priority to SM sellers, but this year we are only implementing that for a limited group of people. So we are working on it.

For example, a few years ago, we tried to hand out badges along with swap meet. You can mention that to any of the staffers in charge, and they will shake their heads in frustration. More time and effort was lost to confusion and logistical issues than was benefit conferred upon the SM sellers. We're trying different things, but you'll have to be patient with us as the con changes and we attempt to implement the best solution for the issue.

Thanks for your feedback and patients!
Eric

Quote from: Ecchi ja Nai on May 20, 2013, 05:47:35 PM
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Ecchi ja Nai

Quote from: ewu on May 20, 2013, 07:38:13 PM
For example, a few years ago, we tried to hand out badges along with swap meet. You can mention that to any of the staffers in charge, and they will shake their heads in frustration.

It was definitely a confusing and frustrating experience, and that's coming from a seller who was there and registered among the first 20 people.  I remember it took probably eight times as long to get everyone into their space.  People were already filing in looking for stuff to buy and only about 1/5 of the sellers had been processed.  I was lucky I managed to get in with the second group allowed in, but even that made for a slow process to actually check in, get my badge, pay for my spot and have all my items inspected.

So to answer my question, it seems like the best solution this year would be to coming in early and pick up my badge on Friday, correct?

ewu

Quote from: Ecchi ja Nai on May 20, 2013, 08:14:07 PM
So to answer my question, it seems like the best solution this year would be to coming in early and pick up my badge on Friday, correct?

That is an affirmative, yes.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Michi

Quote from: Wartho on May 20, 2013, 04:52:01 PM
Just a word of warning as a former artist alley attendee in Exhibit Hall 1; wifi signals inside there are very weak (my carrier was AT&T) and I had to walk out of the hall to take Square payments.  I would bring some loose change in case this happens as I'm sure it'll be difficult to leave your swap meet booth.

Do you mean Wi-Fi or 3G?
~ don't dream it, be it ~

Facebook / Twitter / Tumblr

Wartho

Quote from: Michi on May 20, 2013, 10:43:25 PM
Do you mean Wi-Fi or 3G?

Oops, sorry about the confusion.  I meant the 3G.  The wifi that the registration area had available did not extend into the room.

StillMyWords

Swap Meet spaces have been assigned. I tried to get everyone's request to the best of my abilities and spaces available, but some people are going to be disappointed because I only had so much to work with.

That said, please look for an email tomorrow that will have some finer details regarding check in. Thanks!
Swap Meet Head

StillMyWords

Please check your inbox for details regarding the Swap Meet spaces and map! Also please check your spam folders, as I have been previously told that my emails have gone there.
Swap Meet Head

ELDEMONIO

Quote from: ewu on May 20, 2013, 08:28:08 PM
Quote from: Ecchi ja Nai on May 20, 2013, 08:14:07 PM

That is an affirmative, yes.

That kinda sucks.>.> i know you guys are doing the best you can and that you are running to problems. That i get. As sellers, it just sucks. We need a badge to sell at swap meet and swap meet opens at 6. We can't get our badge until 7. So there will be a hr of waste for swap meet. Il'' try and get my badge early so that we can go straight to swap meet and sell our stuff. I'm sure by then it will be 8pm and closing might be at 10pm. Not sure. Just seems unfair that i'm paying the same amount to sell for 3 or even 2hr on thursday and for friday they get even more hours to sell.I registered only for thursday because of schedule conflicts. I hope you guys extend the hours thursday. Because if i only get 2hrs to sell, i might as well ask for a refund or something. Honestly, i'm not sure if i might do it next year. I understand you guys run issues with the convention building and have to follow their policies. But if this continues, more people will get frustrated and maybe it will be time to look for a new place to set up fanime.Just saying.

ewu

Working hard to make it all work, but again, with 21k+ people and super overlapping events, we just can't make it perfect for each and every person. We will continue to explore options to improve the experience.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom