FanimeCon 2013 Swap Meet: Official Thread (with FAQ)

Started by StillMyWords, April 22, 2013, 12:31:00 PM

Xeluu

Honestly, I'll be interested in seeing how the prearranged seating is going to work. What about the people who don't show up?

Additionally, I'm curious as to how you decided who got seating requests versus who didn't. As someone who didn't get their seating request and was one of the people on the site registering when it went up, I'm wondering why someone who might have registered after me might have gotten seating in a space I requested first. (Because looking at the seating chart, there were plenty of spaces that would have qualified for my request, and I doubt everyone before me requested the same thing.)

Regardless, I do appreciate you taking up running the swap meet this year, even if thus far I'm not particularly impressed.
2016 Cosplay Plans
Gomamon/Gabumon - Digimon
Jolteon Gijinka - Pokemon
Oogie Boogie - Nightmare Before Christmas

StillMyWords

Quote from: Xeluu on May 21, 2013, 01:08:00 PM
Honestly, I'll be interested in seeing how the prearranged seating is going to work. What about the people who don't show up?

Additionally, I'm curious as to how you decided who got seating requests versus who didn't. As someone who didn't get their seating request and was one of the people on the site registering when it went up, I'm wondering why someone who might have registered after me might have gotten seating in a space I requested first. (Because looking at the seating chart, there were plenty of spaces that would have qualified for my request, and I doubt everyone before me requested the same thing.)

Regardless, I do appreciate you taking up running the swap meet this year, even if thus far I'm not particularly impressed.

Xeluu, please email me. Thank you.
FanimeCon 2013 Fan Services Staff
Swap Meet Head

ELDEMONIO

Quote from: ewu on May 21, 2013, 12:35:40 PM
Working hard to make it all work, but again, with 21k+ people and super overlapping events, we just can't make it perfect for each and every person. We will continue to explore options to improve the experience.

I understand that there will always be people unsatisfied. And i understand issues come up and scheduling things is difficult because of work hours,restrictions,etc. Some solutions may sound good but they tend to cause more problems from what i've read so far so i understand. I just hope thursday goes well and things go smoothly because right now it will be difficult to do things.I know i'll have a good time Friday and the other days. But Thursday will be very difficult with hours given and schedules overlapping.

StillMyWords

Quote from: StillMyWords on May 21, 2013, 01:39:46 PM

To be transparent here, Xeluu's request was honored, I think I just need to explain it to them.
Swap Meet Head

Xeluu

Quote from: StillMyWords on May 21, 2013, 01:53:47 PM

To be transparent here, Xeluu's request was honored, I think I just need to explain it to them.
EDIT:

The situation has been resolved. It was a matter of pictures and actualities not lining up.

Thank you for the prompt e-mail response!
2016 Cosplay Plans
Gomamon/Gabumon - Digimon
Jolteon Gijinka - Pokemon
Oogie Boogie - Nightmare Before Christmas

StillMyWords

Quote from: Xeluu on May 21, 2013, 02:34:38 PM
Quote from: StillMyWords on May 21, 2013, 01:53:47 PM

EDIT:

The situation has been resolved. It was a matter of pictures and actualities not lining up.

Thank you for the prompt e-mail response!

No problem.

If anyone has ANY questions regarding their placement I will be happy to answer them. Also to those that have the map, for Thursday, please remove the back 6 rows, and for Friday remove the back 3 rows. Hopefully that will give you a better idea of the actual layout of the Swap Meet spaces.
Swap Meet Head

Ecchi ja Nai

Quote from: ELDEMONIO on May 21, 2013, 12:16:38 PM
That kinda sucks.>.> i know you guys are doing the best you can and that you are running to problems. That i get. As sellers, it just sucks. We need a badge to sell at swap meet and swap meet opens at 6. We can't get our badge until 7. So there will be a hr of waste for swap meet.

Are you unable to come in before 6PM on Friday?  As long as you are registered to sell and have pre-registered for Fanime, you do not need your badge on Thursday.  You will need a photo I.D. as well as all the appropriate forms.  This way you won't miss out on any selling time on Thursday.  On Friday, however, you will need to Fanime badge to get it.  All of the specifics can be found in the seller's registration page as well as the emails that were sent out by StillMyWords.

I just skimmed over it briefly just now, but it doesn't seem like the FAQs on the OP have been updated to reflect these details, but if you've been approved to sell, you should have had the information available in one way or another.

ELDEMONIO

Quote from: Ecchi ja Nai on May 21, 2013, 05:52:12 PM
That kinda sucks.>.> i know you guys are doing the best you can and that you are running to problems. That i get. As sellers, it just sucks. We need a badge to sell at swap meet and swap meet opens at 6. We can't get our badge until 7. So there will be a hr of waste for swap meet.

Are you unable to come in before 6PM on Friday?  As long as you are registered to sell and have pre-registered for Fanime, you do not need your badge on Thursday.  You will need a photo I.D. as well as all the appropriate forms.  This way you won't miss out on any selling time on Thursday.  On Friday, however, you will need to Fanime badge to get it.  All of the specifics can be found in the seller's registration page as well as the emails that were sent out by StillMyWords.

I just skimmed over it briefly just now, but it doesn't seem like the FAQs on the OP have been updated to reflect these details, but if you've been approved to sell, you should have had the information available in one way or another.

Really? couse that makes things much better. And i checked the hours and closing at 1 seems very good. As far as Friday i'll still be at Fanime.I just don't have that much to sell for 2 days and don't wanna pay another 30$. I'm still going to try and get my badge first in thursday because Friday morning will be even more crowded for badge pickup.But knowing so far that Swap meet will close at 1am makes things better. I was afraid the buildings regulations would force it to close early like at 10pm or something.

And i haven't received a email saying my spot number. I checked Fanime.com and it says i do have a number spot and that i'm all set.I also checked my swap meet info and it still says i need a badge once i'm at swap meet so that might be the confusion.The other emails i got but i was a little confused so i came here looking for answers. I found most of them but i guess the updates cleared all of them now. And thanks for telling me.:)

Ecchi ja Nai

Quote from: ELDEMONIO on May 21, 2013, 11:21:19 PM
And i haven't received a email saying my spot number. I checked Fanime.com and it says i do have a number spot and that i'm all set.

I'm sure StillMyWords will reach out to you at some point, but I might as well keep this thread going.  Per his email, if you've been confirmed as a seller but don't see your space number, you can email him and he'll let you know where you're stationed.  Also, Swap Meet staff will have that info for you when you go to get checked in, so it's not super imperative that you have it before hand.  The important thing is that you got confirmation as a seller.

Again, don't forget your I.D. and paperwork!

StillMyWords

Quote from: ELDEMONIO on May 21, 2013, 11:21:19 PM
Quote from: Ecchi ja Nai on May 21, 2013, 05:52:12 PM

Really? couse that makes things much better. And i checked the hours and closing at 1 seems very good. As far as Friday i'll still be at Fanime.I just don't have that much to sell for 2 days and don't wanna pay another 30$. I'm still going to try and get my badge first in thursday because Friday morning will be even more crowded for badge pickup.But knowing so far that Swap meet will close at 1am makes things better. I was afraid the buildings regulations would force it to close early like at 10pm or something.

And i haven't received a email saying my spot number. I checked Fanime.com and it says i do have a number spot and that i'm all set.I also checked my swap meet info and it still says i need a badge once i'm at swap meet so that might be the confusion.The other emails i got but i was a little confused so i came here looking for answers. I found most of them but i guess the updates cleared all of them now. And thanks for telling me.:)

Hi there, please email [email protected] and we'll get you worked out. But if you log in you should see a space number in your account summary.
Swap Meet Head

AR-99

Are there more people registered for one day than another or both days are about even? Trying to decide whether to skip Thursday and show up on Friday instead, from my experience 3 and 2 years back Friday tends to  be busier. Of course how seller attendance is on both days is TBD.
FanimeCon '97, 2K, 2005, '09-
Evangelion Virtual Museum

StillMyWords

There are definitely more people registered for tomorrow versus Friday.
Swap Meet Head

goofanader

Are we allowed to use dollies to bring in our stuff, or must we be able to carry it all in? Or can I have a helper bring in my other stuff? I'm not very tall so I can't really carry all that much.

StillMyWords

Quote from: goofanader on May 23, 2013, 09:09:16 AM
Are we allowed to use dollies to bring in our stuff, or must we be able to carry it all in? Or can I have a helper bring in my other stuff? I'm not very tall so I can't really carry all that much.

Helpers are not allowed but we will have volunteers on hand to assist those with medical needs that prevent them from carrying their items. Dollies and hand trucks are not allowed. This is covered in our FAQ. Due to union rules in the SJCC people selling at the Swap Meet must be able to do it in one go.
Swap Meet Head

Ecchi ja Nai

Finally, it's here!  See you all in a few hours!

junkeemunky

This was my second year selling at swap meet, and overall it went really well! In the future it'd be more helpful to register further in advance, just so I could prepare more stuff to bring with me. But I was happy to see that there was an easy check-in, spaces were already assigned and sectioned off, and that we had a good amount of time to get everything ready before people came in. Also staff was really helpful and generally awesome.

Decantus

Quote from: junkeemunky on May 29, 2013, 09:47:26 AM
This was my second year selling at swap meet, and overall it went really well! In the future it'd be more helpful to register further in advance, just so I could prepare more stuff to bring with me. But I was happy to see that there was an easy check-in, spaces were already assigned and sectioned off, and that we had a good amount of time to get everything ready before people came in. Also staff was really helpful and generally awesome.

That's really great to hear!

As we were having the pre-reg system programmed from scratch this year, it too a while to bug test and get finalized.  Next year we're going to have it opened far in advanced.

Thanks for the feedback, let us know if there's anything else that you can think of.
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

swapmeet <at> fanime dot com

crystalsoul

it was weird, this was the first year i really didnt see many wall scroll for sale. i saw a few people selling some but not nearly as many as years prior. its my first con walking out without a wall scroll :<

Belfry

Swap meet registration and setup went so much more smoothly this year than it has in previous ones.

Even though we didn't get our first choice of spots, I want to thank you for pre-assigning them. We were able to save hours of time by not having to wait in line to ensure we got a good spot. This allowed us to spend more time enjoying the con, and reduced our stress significantly. I really hope that in coming years swap meet spots will continue to be assigned before the convention.

The venue, being inside the convention center, felt much safer this year than last year. We didn't have to worry about transporting our items around outside after midnight.

Overall the swap meet was much less stressful, and consequently more fun, this year.

ewu

We would love to here from you at this form. That way, not just the immediate head or staff which read the forums will know, but this will get to all decisionmakers.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1WUsyOJkzz0qwypoNR5waear2tF119V60FExdi0G44Ig/viewform
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom