Community Service Hours?

Started by kaemis, April 22, 2013, 08:56:34 PM

kaemis

Hi, I'm a high school student and I need to get community service hours for volunteering. Would I be able to earn community service hours/get someone to sign my community service time sheet if I volunteer during Fanime? Thanks in advance!

otakuya

I am wondering this too (officially, from staff) as I was staff/vol from 2003-2007 and want to put it on my resume.

As for my two take, I don't think Fanime counts as 'community' service for school credit. When I graduated HS, the community service was supposed to be related to what you are studying, or help at the library, city parks/recreation, etc.

kaemis

Thanks for your opinion! Fanime definitely would not be one of the more common forms of community service like volunteering at a library, city parks, etc... but it's volunteering nonetheless and it doesn't hurt to ask!
I'll wait to hear from a current staff member officially, but i do appreciate your response :)

keitoghostie

If the answer is a no (and you're in the Bay Area), a good resource for finding volunteer opportunities is http://www.handsonbayarea.org/!

kaemis

Thanks so much! I'll be sure to check the site for some more opportunities.

M

This would be up to your school - I've seen some schools accept it as long as they have written documentation of what you did and some schools that would only accept hours from places that were on their approved list (school activities, libraries, etc.).
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

kaemis

Thank you!! So if my school approves and I bring my school's time sheet (documents hours volunteered, where you did it, etc), I'll be able to get someone to sign it?

otakuya

I assume documents should be signed by heads of vols or the department you worked. But yeah, get the school's approval first that vol-ing at Fanime is acceptable.

I'm curious on what your community service report will be about.

DangerHeart

I'm not sure about school approved volunteering because mine didn't do that. But I do have a friend who volunteered for registration two years in a row and added it to their resume as volunteer work and ended up with a nice job in customer service because of it. Good luck!

otakuya

^ DangerHeart
Uh, yeah... after several years in the industry now, I realize that customer/guest services isn't for me. I do love helping conventions, events, arenas, stadiums, etc. and I'm looking to get into that business. If anyone knows of any connection with Team San Jose, HP Pavilion, etc...please let me know. Kthxbai

As for those whose first 'job' ever is being part of FanimeCon staff, mad props to you.

kaemis

Quote from: Otakuya on April 27, 2013, 03:59:28 PM
I assume documents should be signed by heads of vols or the department you worked. But yeah, get the school's approval first that vol-ing at Fanime is acceptable.

I'm curious on what your community service report will be about.

That's what I was thinking too... And yeah, I'll make sure to ask my school in advance.
As for a report, I actually don't need to write one. My school only requires a certain number of hours.

Quote from: DangerHeart on April 27, 2013, 07:17:22 PM
I'm not sure about school approved volunteering because mine didn't do that. But I do have a friend who volunteered for registration two years in a row and added it to their resume as volunteer work and ended up with a nice job in customer service because of it. Good luck!

Thanks! Even if it's not school approved, I'll probably still volunteer anyway.

otakuya

One thing I learned from staffing Fanime in the past is that you should not expect too much from it, apart from making the convention a success. Sure you get in for free or get reimbursed, but the overall scope is to help run the convention as smooth as possible.

I don't believe anyone from staff gets "paid" to do what they do, even though I know there's a budget. You may need to sacrifice time, such as missing a panel or gathering, to be staff/vol too.

HunterZero

Quote from: Otakuya on May 03, 2013, 08:21:34 PM
One thing I learned from staffing Fanime in the past is that you should not expect too much from it, apart from making the convention a success. Sure you get in for free or get reimbursed, but the overall scope is to help run the convention as smooth as possible.

I don't believe anyone from staff gets "paid" to do what they do, even though I know there's a budget. You may need to sacrifice time, such as missing a panel or gathering, to be staff/vol too.

Only one person on FanimeCon staff is paid: The lawyer. That is for obvious reasons.
Cthulhu for President!
"Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened people, there is only enlightened activity." -- Shunryu Suzuki

M

Quote from: HunterZero on May 04, 2013, 08:05:33 AM
Only one person on FanimeCon staff is paid: The lawyer. That is for obvious reasons.
Please do not post things that aren't true - Any lawyers that we may or may not have aren't on staff. ;)
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

SOawesomeness

Quote from: Otakuya on May 03, 2013, 08:21:34 PM
I can tell you right now, I only attend Fanime nowadays to staff and go to Black and White Ball (if I'm not too burnt out). ^_________^

I do Fanime stuff while at my real, adult job, when I'm at home, after work or even on weekends. We sacrifice a lot of stuff, but we love the convention and we love y'alls- we hope you love it too. (:

(disclaimer: please do not take my experience as the standard experience of staffers o.o )
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

ewu

Quote from: SOawesomeness on May 17, 2013, 01:43:01 PM
(disclaimer: please do not take my experience as the standard experience of staffers o.o )

...sometimes it's worse:)
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom