Karaoke Contesant Chat Thread [2013]

Started by SuperSheba, April 23, 2013, 06:12:48 PM

SuperSheba

Hey, guys!

Since last years thread was such a success, I decided to create a new thread for this year!

Most of us contestants are super chatty and tend to want to start talking about things other than rules in the Official Karaoke Contest Rules thread. 

This thread is a place for karaoke contest contestants to chat about the contest and plan to meet up at Fanime, etc.

Feel free to introduce yourselves!  I'm Christin, and this is my fourth year as a contestant and the third year in a row in which I will have competed.  Assuming I don't somehow miss sign-ups, of course!  Some of you may remember me as the girl who sang Manten at last year's karaoke contest and that I may be slightly obsessed with Kalafina.

Nina Star 9

Debating entering...
I don't tend to enter the Fanime contests (though I did last year -- I was the GitS cosplayer who butchered an EGO-WRAPPIN' song), but I'm still tempted.

I'll be doing a ton of open mic, though, so there won't be any shortage of singing from me. ;) I'll probably be there mostly Friday after the contest (likely cosplaying Julia from Cowboy Bebop) and Saturday evening/into the night (likely in my super lazy Mom Lalonde cosplay), and I do have some themed songs planned, to go with the cosplays.

I've been tempted to do all three Fanime contests one year. I have an idea for Accoustikaraoke, but I'd need a decent group for it, and I haven't bothered to get one together and do this. This will be my first year doing the Karaoke Gong show as well, though my sister usually enters. Be sure to look for me -- I'm planning on wearing a...err...modified fancystuck!Rose cosplay. You'll all (hopefully) understand why the modifications once the act begins. (the Rose cosplay is just because I'll be coming back from the B&W Ball, there's no deeper meaning, though it does add an extra layer of...something. not entirely sure what.)

Good luck to everyone who enters all the contests! <3

SuperSheba

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on April 23, 2013, 07:37:17 PM
Debating entering...
I don't tend to enter the Fanime contests (though I did last year -- I was the GitS cosplayer who butchered an EGO-WRAPPIN' song), but I'm still tempted.

I'll be doing a ton of open mic, though, so there won't be any shortage of singing from me. ;) I'll probably be there mostly Friday after the contest (likely cosplaying Julia from Cowboy Bebop) and Saturday evening/into the night (likely in my super lazy Mom Lalonde cosplay), and I do have some themed songs planned, to go with the cosplays.

I've been tempted to do all three Fanime contests one year. I have an idea for Accoustikaraoke, but I'd need a decent group for it, and I haven't bothered to get one together and do this. This will be my first year doing the Karaoke Gong show as well, though my sister usually enters. Be sure to look for me -- I'm planning on wearing a...err...modified fancystuck!Rose cosplay. You'll all (hopefully) understand why the modifications once the act begins. (the Rose cosplay is just because I'll be coming back from the B&W Ball, there's no deeper meaning, though it does add an extra layer of...something. not entirely sure what.)

Good luck to everyone who enters all the contests! <3

I always wish my friend who plays bass lived closer to me so she could enter Acoustickaraoke! with me.  We used to jam.  If I could find someone to accompany me on guitar or something, I'd so enter. :b

I'm definitely planning to enter the regular karaoke contest.  I have a song for finals, but am still trying to pick the one for qualifying.  It looks like this year we only get 2:00 instead of 2:30 like we used to, so I need to find a song that shows off what I've got within a 2:00 timeframe.

Nina Star 9

Well, my idea is for an a capella group, and I have no talent whatsoever with instruments, otherwise I'd propose that we get together and jam! I wish you luck, though!

Choosing songs is always the hardest. :< I actually already have songs picked out for the SacAnime contest, but I'm most likely not going to enter the contest here with them (if I did enter, I'd choose something different). (hint - it's one of the songs I was going to do this winter when my entry didn't seem to go through, and the song I wanted to do this winter but decided not to because I wouldn't have enough time to learn it...so it's not like I'm really putting -that- much thought into it in advance ;P I might sing the one I'm less prepared for at open mic, though, so I can force myself to get used to it)

Are you going back and forth between a few songs? Maybe if you posted them up, we'd be able to give some suggestions. :3 My musical tastes tend to run a little...different, and I'm not familiar with most anime or Jpop music, so you'd have to link to the songs you had in mind, but I'm perfectly willing to give suggestions if you need help choosing! (I'm not willing to give suggestions if you have no ideas, though, because I'd tell you to do something that you likely wouldn't know or be comfortable with...as I said, my musical tastes are strange, haha)

chibimonster

Planning on entering with a friend. Doing Artist alley and karaoke contest will make for an interesting Friday. At least I have minions to man my table while I'm away.
Who else is contemplating singing a vocaloid song?

yumicchi88

Hi, I'm Yumi!
I've been competing in this Contest for.... possibly 5 years now.
But only once have I gone to the finals.
I hope to get to the finals this year once again!

My songs are not set yet, but probably kalafina or ghibli songs. I'll be exploring more of my rep later this week.
"Choosing songs is always the hardest"- Nina Star 9
This is true.
This year I will Volunteer!

Excited about Karaoke Contest!!

Asa_Gohan

Heya~

This is going to be the first time I'm competing, and I hope to actually catch sign ups this year ^^;;  Still pretty nervous at the thought that I have to get up on stage and sing in front of people since I personally don't think too highly of my singing voice...But!!! I think it'll still be fun none the less.  I have a few songs in mind that I wanna sing, but again, super nervous since this is my first singing in front of a bunch of people @_@

This sig isnt true anymore...I have to wait for a bit...

Nina Star 9

Quote from: Asa_Gohan on April 24, 2013, 04:59:59 AM
Heya~

This is going to be the first time I'm competing, and I hope to actually catch sign ups this year ^^;;  Still pretty nervous at the thought that I have to get up on stage and sing in front of people since I personally don't think too highly of my singing voice...But!!! I think it'll still be fun none the less.  I have a few songs in mind that I wanna sing, but again, super nervous since this is my first singing in front of a bunch of people @_@
Probably the best thing to do if this is your first time singing on stage is to use the warmup period to your advantage. Use it to practice your song, and get comfortable being on stage. It's a no-pressure environment, since you're just there to practice instead of actually perform, so it might help you quite a bit. It can be scary going up on stage for the first time, but you'll get used to it! (I know that I was always nervous at first, and even though I'm a permanent fixture of the karaoke room karaoke vet, I still get a bit nervous at contests!)

loconeko

I can't wait to see all the new talent this year.  And I can actually do open mic afterwards!!!  YAY!!!!!  XD

Anybody want to share their song plans for the contest?  =3

Here's my plans for my vocal destruction =P.....

Prelim: "Blaze" sung by HIMEKA
(originally sung by someone else as the opening for Tsuabsa.  Forgive my ignorance at the moment)

Final (if by some miracle I make it that far): "Endless Story" by Yuna Ito

princesskitty18

christin/lauren: HIIIIII
DUDESSSS, y'all need to help me choose songs cuz im having the hardest time choosing
i'll probably register wit ayumi but i wanna try something new
y'all know my voice..help meeeee <3

and we gotta figure out open-mic!

to everyone else:
hello and welcome :)
this is my 5th year competing and i hope to try and at least get closer to finals than i have before
and nerves are always goin to be there
but what makes it better is if you have friends and family cheering you on :)
we all love to sing so we bond over that
ive made some great friendships (the two ppl named above) through karaoke <3
Fanime attendee since 2006
2012 Black & White Ball volunteer
2013-now Black & White Ball Staff

Follow us on Facebook page and Twitter!
- https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
- https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

Asa_Gohan

@ Nina
I most certainly intend to @_@  Just hoping that, besides overcoming my stage fright, that I don't forget the lyrics, or mess up the flow of the song, sing the wrong notes, lose my breath too quickly, among other things ^^;;. 
@loco
I was intending on singing

To All The Dreamers by Soul'd Out
Shounen Heart by Home Made Kazoku

Tho, I dont know which one I should do for prelim :x  I was thinking of doing Shounen Heart since I know the song better, also that To All Tha Dreamers gets pretty difficult @_@ Also making it to finals is going to be tough since I know that there are a lot of good singers that enter.

This sig isnt true anymore...I have to wait for a bit...

SuperSheba

I am so psyched to sing with you, Lauren and Jackie!  Open mic, WOOT!

I have made the finals for the last two years and am really hoping to make the finals again this year.  Since I got sixth and then fourth, I'm telling myself that maybe I'll get second this year if the pattern keeps up. XD

Nina Star 9

Quote from: Asa_Gohan on April 24, 2013, 02:57:57 PM
@ Nina
I most certainly intend to @_@  Just hoping that, besides overcoming my stage fright, that I don't forget the lyrics, or mess up the flow of the song, sing the wrong notes, lose my breath too quickly, among other things ^^;;. 
@loco
I was intending on singing

To All The Dreamers by Soul'd Out
Shounen Heart by Home Made Kazoku

Tho, I dont know which one I should do for prelim :x  I was thinking of doing Shounen Heart since I know the song better, also that To All Tha Dreamers gets pretty difficult @_@ Also making it to finals is going to be tough since I know that there are a lot of good singers that enter.
Good, good. Be sure to use that time to practice. I always try to sing my contest songs for open mic at a con beforehand, since singing it on stage can be totally different from singing it in my car, but that takes some foresight, or try to choose a song that I know I've done well at for open-mic before, but that limits my options. Basically, I always make sure I've practiced it, on stage.

Once you get up there, you'll probably be fine. It's really a lot less scary than it seems. :) Know that you have us all rooting for you!

I'm not familiar with your song options and can't listen to them right now, but I typically choose something a bit more upbeat for the prelims, something catchy and a little showy that will get the judges' attentions, and for the finals, something slower that can really show off my voice. I think this is standard for most contestants, from what I've noticed -- something that will catch the judges' attentions at first, and then something that will really showcase a voice for the finals.

Good luck with your singing! :)

(I've actually never made it to finals at Fanime...I have at SacAnime, but not here. Then again, last year I totally butchered my song, and that was the first time doing a contest since..'06? ish? so yeah, not really counting that~)

Cloud

This will be my third year participating in the karaoke contest (as long as I get in) and I'm super excited!
I still need to choose songs though XD I hope I do better than last year and I'm looking forward to seeing all the people I've met through the contest again :)
Good luck to all who enter!!

princesskitty18

christin!! get on fb! i need ur opinion on song choices :)
and we gotta talk abotu what we're gonna do for open mic

@cloud: kaya? is that u?
Fanime attendee since 2006
2012 Black & White Ball volunteer
2013-now Black & White Ball Staff

Follow us on Facebook page and Twitter!
- https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
- https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

Hank-KKD

Quote from: loconeko on April 24, 2013, 10:12:16 AM
I can't wait to see all the new talent this year.  And I can actually do open mic afterwards!!!  YAY!!!!!  XD

(originally sung by someone else as the opening for Tsuabsa.  Forgive my ignorance at the moment)

A little bit of karaoke trivia for you guys: HIMEKA won one of our contests back in 2002 (at another convention).

SuperSheba

So, here are the songs I'm thinking of singing.

Round 1: Mirai http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9ARIwSVvvM
Round 2: After All http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8xoI6BWJYA

As always, this is subject to change, but if you remember my voice at all, let me know what you think of these songs for me.  I REALLY want to do at least one Kalafina song. :O

SuperSheba

Quote from: Hank-KKD on April 24, 2013, 09:06:22 PM

A little bit of karaoke trivia for you guys: HIMEKA won one of our contests back in 2002 (at another convention).

Neat, AND you commented in my humble thread!  COOL! :O

loconeko

Quote from: Hank-KKD on April 24, 2013, 09:06:22 PM

Thank you for this Hank.  I never knew the year she won.  She's a big inspiration to me as a singer. 

Quote from: SuperSheba on April 24, 2013, 09:13:09 PM

As always, this is subject to change, but if you remember my voice at all, let me know what you think of these songs for me.  I REALLY want to do at least one Kalafina song. :O

Nice song choices my dear.  LOVE the first one.  ^-^

SuperSheba

Quote from: loconeko on April 25, 2013, 12:41:57 PM
Quote from: SuperSheba on April 24, 2013, 09:13:09 PM

Nice song choices my dear.  LOVE the first one.  ^-^

I would do the original, but it does not have a karaoke version and does not vocal remove well.  It's more choir-esque, but this version will do too.