Preparing an AA Table

Started by smachajewski, April 24, 2013, 09:19:15 PM

smachajewski

Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere, but I couldn't find a similar topic.

This is going to be my first time selling at a large convention. Previously, I only sold at small local shows. I mostly sell prints and buttons with fanart of comic characters.

What is a good standard for quantities to bring? What print sizes typically sell the best? I know it varies a lot by artist, but I'm just trying to get a feel for how I should prepare.

Some examples of the art I'll be selling can be found here.

Baconshinobi

Lovely art!

I'm not exactly a seasoned veteran, but in my experience wearables sell the best; your buttons will probably do well. People tend to buy bigger prints less often, mostly because of price and lack of safe transport materials, and usually stick to postcards and such because they can get more for less money, and they fit well between the pages of their heavyweight convention program.

Basically, it will be down to price, but buyer interest will also be dependent upon what day it is:

• Friday is host to many school anime club field trips, so there may be a few people going for just the one day and getting all their purchases in then. However, Friday is also the day where full-weekenders browse and budget for the duration of the con.
  • Saturday is also a common single-day congoing time for people who can't get the entire weekend off or only want to go for the shopping. This day will probably have the most alley traffic and the most sales.
  • Sunday is like a toned-down Saturday, but for many people this is the last day that they attend. Either this means that they will do all their shopping then or they will be out of cash already. Mixed bag.
  • Monday is going to be the slowest, as many people will have already seen what there is to see and bought what there was to buy, exhausting their budgets. Some people, however will seek a super bargain from you, knowing it is the last day and that you want to shift your stock asap so you don't need to truck it all home.

I can't say for sure how your products will sell, as fans are a fickle bunch of poor people (myself included), but I would suggest bringing a handful of each of your products, like ten idk (though maybe more for buttons?) to sell per day and keep some extra on tap at your hotel room or something if one of your products does particularly well. Try to go off of your previous congoing experiences, as both vendor and buyer, and make sure you have all your bases covered.

Good luck!

Oniko

I actually made a quick video tutorial a few months ago. Heres where it talks about prints = http://youtu.be/L7E1Aa0Tdpg?t=6m27s After prints I take about other types of products, the commissions, then into prices and onto actually setting up your table, so skip ahead if you'd like.
06- Ragnarok Huntress / 07- Haruhi Suzumiya
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

Chasing Shadows

Oniko's video is fantastic on covering everything. Just a few personal opinions:

1. In doing a few artist alley's and fanime last year, wearables sell like crazy, they're impulse buys and quick transactions. They'll be what you want the most prints of and copies of.
2. Bring a ton of change. If you're selling smaller $1 or $2 items, definitely have $1 bills and $5 bills. I've been guilty of this.
3. Like Oni mentioned, if you're doing commissions, be prepared to either limit them per day so you'll have time to do anything else during the con, or you'll be staying up late nights to finish them. Don't short change yourself on commissions. Know how much work you put into each one and don't be afraid to charge what you believe they're worth.
4. Business cards are a definite.
5. As far as prints wise, like everyone else has said it's a little bit of a gamble. Some people like myself like to buy larger prints so they're easier to frame and look more imposing on my wall, but other people with less money will go for the post card sizes just to have a small piece of artwork. I think 7 to 10 of each is a safe number.
6. Have fun!!!

I hope this helps a little.
Fanime Cosplay Plans
Holo | Spice and Wolf
Filthy Casual

smachajewski

Wow, thank you everyone for the great responses!

7-10 prints is very, very manageable. Especially since I found something local that doesn't have a minimum order like online places do of 25 or 50.

This really helps. I don't feel so overwhelmed anymore!

Now to just finish that poster print I've been working on!

Oniko

@Chasing Shadows: Aw thanks ^^;; Theres so many things I would add in my ramblings or take away after hearing my own video so many times but you know we're all sort for time right now.
----
I say only that many prints for a first time because you never know how things will go.  If you end up doing really well there is a Kinko's about a block away.  Yes it can sometimes be a bit pricey but if your find out a print or two is selling it wont hurt to buy some more copies when your running low.  So I recommend backing up your prints on a USB to have near by :)
06- Ragnarok Huntress / 07- Haruhi Suzumiya
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

smachajewski

I've already scoped out locations for getting prints made near the con! And my table mate has a car, so that's going to make things super easy.

Oh, and thank you for the reminder about the business cards! I need to get some made ASAP so I can get them in time!

I think I have an idea of what I'm going to do! Thank you so much!

Hachimitsu

i think you have what it takes to sell artworks :)
they are really that good!...

as for business cards.. don't go overboard.. just try to have a reasonable amount of them, that way you have left over change incase someone comes in with a Huge $20 bill

smachajewski

Quote from: Hachimitsu-ink on April 26, 2013, 12:16:35 AM
i think you have what it takes to sell artworks :)
they are really that good!...

Oh wow, thanks! I've had such poor luck with selling in the past that it's good to hear that!