Food Accommodations - Best places to eat!

Started by Adnarimification, May 01, 2013, 07:17:27 AM

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: aetherltd on May 11, 2013, 02:26:27 PM
Quote from: mariotheotaku on May 10, 2013, 11:32:29 PM
Are there any good Japanese food places within walking distance besides the one at the Fairmont?
There's the Quickly just mentioned.  It's at 140 Paseo De San Antonio.  20 different bento boxes! Everything from hamburgers and hot dogs to eel and fried octopus.

How's the service there?  It seems to have fairly mixed reviews on Yelp.

Tsu

Quickly fans- has Quickly done ok with food supplies in the last couple years? I last went there at the con maybe 2, 3 years ago and by Saturday night they'd completely sold out of the more gaijin-friendly foods like teriyaki chicken. It was their first year doing their 24-hour promotion so I'm guessing they got more swamped than they expected. Has that happened recently?
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019

otakuya

I'm pretty sure ALL restaurants and stores in (downtown) San Jose know about this little thing called "FanimeCon" where it attracts big businesses to the area. I'll be surprised if they're not prepared for the con and the influx of people. I remember seeing Walgreens on 2nd St with "Welcome FanimeCon" signs on the front windows and some eateries on 3rd St/San Carlos with food promos if you show your badge.

I can go for some In-N-Out right now...

Tsu

Quote from: Otakuya on May 12, 2013, 07:42:53 PM
I'm pretty sure ALL restaurants and stores in (downtown) San Jose know about this little thing called "FanimeCon" where it attracts big businesses to the area. I'll be surprised if they're not prepared for the con and the influx of people. I remember seeing Walgreens on 2nd St with "Welcome FanimeCon" signs on the front windows and some eateries on 3rd St/San Carlos with food promos if you show your badge.

I can go for some In-N-Out right now...

Aye, I suppose you're right. In my experience the only shortages are in the 1st year of the eateries "embracing" Fanime with offers. Like that bento box Psycho Donuts did two years ago. Line around the block and utterly wiped out within hours, if I remember right. Last year's selection was significantly better and they still had bentos when I went.

Fanimecon banner or no, though, it didn't keep customers from blatantly stopping and staring at a King Dedede cosplayer that stopped by. :P

Avairrianna

You know what I've been doing? I've been signed up for Groupon deals for San Jose for the past few months and when I go to Fanime I already have 4 meals paid for! ^^
Cosplays in work:
?

Gatherings in charge of in 2017:
Steven Universe

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: Avairrianna on May 12, 2013, 10:01:44 PM
You know what I've been doing? I've been signed up for Groupon deals for San Jose for the past few months and when I go to Fanime I already have 4 meals paid for! ^^

Heh I'm actually staying away from Groupons for a coupe reasons: 1) my roommate and I never plan out what we're going to eat until we're actually hungry, 2) the one time I DID buy a Groupon it was wasted.  I got a 2-for-1 thing on Groupon for the pho place just down the street, and my roommate and I figured we would go for it Saturday night.  It was jam packed, so we skipped it, and decided to try it Monday before heading back home.  Turned out the place was closed due to the owner having to take care of family stuff, so no deal.  I was only out $10 from it, but buying it and then not even getting to use it annoyed me.

Hakaru_chan

Quote from: Dare9179 on May 10, 2013, 04:51:45 PM
That last picture looks like me especially the jacket.

Twinses? Lol BTW - Another update from me about food, this time concerning Johnny Rockets.

Last year, I went to Johnny Rockets in the afternoon when it was packed. Instead of being offered the regular menu I see at every Johnny Rockets, they gave me, instead, a one page laminated menu with just four items, all combos. I asked for the regular menu and they said that these menus were specifically for this weekend. It was their "specials".

Of course, this isn't true. Not only were the four combos their basic sandwiches, they were overpriced as well.

Be warey! :)
Backstage Personality for CWF - Cosplay Wrestling Federation
www.twitch.tv/cwfnetwork

aetherltd

Quote from: foester on May 12, 2013, 02:27:41 PM
Quickly fans- has Quickly done ok with food supplies in the last couple years?

When I've been to a Quickly, it's been staffed by one or two people. They could easily be overloaded.

Quickly has a Twitter feed. Someone could warn them. 

AbsolutelyCursed

Does anyone have an idea if there will be any food trucks this year?

Tsu

Quote from: aetherltd on May 14, 2013, 09:17:44 PM
Quote from: foester on May 12, 2013, 02:27:41 PM
Quickly fans- has Quickly done ok with food supplies in the last couple years?

When I've been to a Quickly, it's been staffed by one or two people. They could easily be overloaded.

Quickly has a Twitter feed. Someone could warn them.

I'm sure they'll have more people on hand than usual or at the very least know that they're going to get swamped, but it won't change the fact that they WILL be swamped. I've actually avoided Quickly's the last couple years because they always have a line going out the door and sometimes down to the sidewalk with next to no standing room while waiting for your order.

Oniko

Quote from: Mi Feng on May 09, 2013, 05:09:02 PM
Original Joes has some pretty bomb Italian food. It's a family owned place and the servers are really friendly towards con goers. However the menu can be a bit on the expensive side (not sure what your budget is) but if you have the cash the pasta is sure worth it! :) It's also right next to the Saint Claire if you are staying there.
Not to mention the portions are huge at OJ's.  I always split with my boyfriend, or we get a doggie bag and eat the rest later for dinner or the next day.
06- Ragnarok Huntress / 07- Haruhi Suzumiya
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

Tigerprawn

I've lived in SJ all my life and have lived in downtown for 5+ years now. I quickly made a google map that lists a few places I think Fanime attendees would enjoy. A mix of cheap eats, grocery stores, new hot spots, etc. (No I don't work for any of these establishments, I just enjoy their good food!)

Top of the list, and some of my personal favorites!

Original Gravity
Some of the best food in DTSJ. Gourmet hot dogs, duck fat fries, I think they still do a mean grilled cheese. Tons of craft beer if you're old enough to drink. Lots of outdoor seating in the back patio. You can still dine in if you're under age. Tell em' Sonny sent you!

San Pedro Square Market
Probably the best place for groups. Tons of options for food, snacks, coffee, etc. Everyone will end up finding something they like and you support the local businesses. Pretty much a big building of food vendors with tons and tons of seating. It's gonna be hot. They have ice cream, nuff said.

Japantown
If you can make it to Japantown (Take the ligh trail or other forms of public transit) it's totally worth it. Tons of places to get your sushi fix, there's a Japanese market for bento boxes or snacks from Japan, Banana crepe serves SHAVED ICE!

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=206388391728856303611.0004dd53c9347d282ff98&msa=0&ll=37.33653,-121.890049&spn=0.005195,0.009645