FANIMECON 2013 DANCE - OFFICIAL THREAD

Started by eHash, May 13, 2013, 06:52:06 PM

eHash

FANIMECON 2013 DANCE
=====================================================

Summary:
The 2013 dance will be located in Ballrooms F and J with 2 stages featuring a variety of
music (EDM) styles.  The "Pajama Party" located in Ballroom F will kick of the dance
festivities on Thursday, May 23 (Day Zero) from 9 PM to 1 AM. The evening dance will be
held on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday starting at 7 PM and ending at 4 AM.  The dance event
entrance will be located at the beginning of the corridor between Exhibit Hall 3 and the
F/J Ballrooms.

--------
Additional Rules and Code of Conduct for the FanimeCon Dance:

All FanimeCon rules and Code of Conduct applies to the Dance.  Failure to comply will
lead to ejection from the dance.  Badges will be marked identifying individuals who are
ejected and will not be allowed back in that day.  Ejection from the dance twice will
result in removal of dance attendance prviledges for 2013.

•   The Dance for 2013 is open to all ages. However, it is suggested that children under
    13 be accompanied by a responsible adult.
•   The FanimeCon Dance is a private event hosted for the attendees and guests of FanimeCon.
    An official FanimeCon badge is required for entry.
•   Once you leave the dance area, you will have to wait in line to re-enter.
•   Attendees may be subjected to a precursory security check.
•   No outside food or drinks are allowed in the dance. If you purchased sealed
    beverages outside the dance, they will not be allowed in.
•   Physical and/or verbal harassment of any kind will not be tolerated.
•   Large props will not be allowed in the dance.  Attendees might be asked to put away
    props of any size if they represent a potential danger to others.
•   Chemical-based glow products (I.E. glow sticks, necklaces, or bracelets) are not allowed
    in the dance, but LED-based lighting utilities are allowed as long as they do not represent
    an immediate danger to others.
•   No "Laser Gloves" or laser pointers will be allowed.
•   E-Cigareete use inside the dance is strictly prohibited.
•   Only authorized staff is allowed on the stage.
•   No prop or coat-check is available; personal property left unattended is at your own risk.

--------
SCHEDULE
Thursday, Day 0 - BALLROOM F
9 to 10 PM, DJ Reign (Trance)
10 to 11 PM, Empathy (EDM)
11 PM to 12 AM, eHash (EDM)
12 to 1 AM, DJ Dark0 (Hardcore)

Friday, Day 1 - BALLROOM F
8 to 9 PM - RED WHITE
9 to 10 PM - DJ PONYO
10 to 11 PM - DJ KAMINARI
11 PM to 12 AM - Empathy
12 to 2 AM - DJ KEPIK
2 to 4 AM - EHASH

Friday, Day 1 - BALLROOM J
7 to 8 PM - RE7
8 to 10 PM - DJ Sequence
10 PM to 12 AM - DJ EZ
12 to 2 AM - DJ DARK0
2 to 4 AM - PREYX

Saturday, Day 2 - BALLROOM F
7 TO 8 PM - DJ Melvis
8 to 9 pm - RED WHITE
9 TO 11 PM - DJ BADCAT
11 PM TO 12 AM - DJ EMPATHY
12 AM TO 1 AM - PeterlO
1 AM TO 2 AM- DJ KAMINARI
2 TO 4 AM - EHASH

Saturday, Day 2 - BALLROOM J
7 TO 8 PM - DJ SANDMAN
8 TO 10 PM - LIBK
10 PM TO 12 AM - DJ REIGN
12 TO 2 AM - DJ KOMODO
2 TO 4 AM - DJ BLURR

Sunday, Day 3 - BALLROOM F
7 TO 8 PM - DJ PONYO
8 TO 10 PM - PETERLO
10 TO 11 PM - DJ DARK0
11 PM TO 12 AM - REVISE
12 TO 1 AM - PREYX
1 TO 2 AM - DJ REIGN
2 TO 4 AM - DJ SANDMAN

Sunday, Day 3 - BALLROOM J
8 TO 10 PM - Melvis
10 PM TO 12 AM - dj MYTY MIKE
12 TO 2 AM - EHASH
2 TO 4 AM - EMPATHY

muzikgenesis

If non-fanime attendees wish to go to the dance , will they be able to purchase tickets as guests?

aeribella

Where can we find samples of the DJs music?

eHash

Quote from: muzikgenesis on May 20, 2013, 02:27:08 PM
If non-fanime attendees wish to go to the dance , will they be able to purchase tickets as guests?
no, only fanime attendees can go to the dance.  they will have to purchase normal con passes

eHash

Quote from: aeribella on May 20, 2013, 03:02:08 PM
Where can we find samples of the DJs music?
DJ REIGN - Trance DJ and FanimeCon Dance Veteran.
Empathy - EDM DJing performing at FanimeCon for the second year.
eHash - SF Club Resident DJ who plans on performing everything from DubStep, Kpop, EDM, and Hip Hop
        http://www.mixcrate.com/djehash
Dark0 - FanimeCon Hardcore Favorite
RED WHITE - Makes his 2nd appearance at the FanimeCon Dance playing Touhou
PONYO - Makes her FanimeCon DJing debut with a combination of Dubstep, Trap, and House
Kaminari - Makes his FanimeCon Djing debut playing hardcore
Kepik - SF Club Resident playing a mash of Asian Pop, Hip Hop/Top 40s, and EDM
   http://djkepik.com
RE7 - Opens the 2013 Dance with her special blend of Electro house
DJ Sequence - SJ Club Resident taking a break from hip hop/top 40s to brign the floor alive with EDM
   http://www.mixcrate.com/djsequence   http://www.soundcloud.com/djsequence
DJ EZ - After relocating from San Diego, this Bay Area Club DJ will be bringing the San Diego EDM Flavor to the Bay Area Dancefloor
DJ PreyX - Southern California based Con-DJ who will bring popular con music to FanimeCon.
DJ Melvis - San Jose Club Resident and FanimeCon Resident who will be pounding out your requests.
DJ Badcat - San Jose Club DJ and Remixer making his FanimeCon Debut
DJ PeterlO - Specializing in KPop and Electrohouse remixes of Asian Pop
DJ Sandman - Souther California Con Resident DJ will bring his mashup sound back to the dancefloor
LIBK - 3 local San Jose guys who are producers and remixers will bring their EDM Sound on Sat.
   http://soundcloud.com/libk http://www.youtube.com/libkofficial http://dj.beatport.com/libkofficial
DJ KOMODO - Returns to FanimeCon 2013 to keep the floor jumping with EDM and trance
   http://www.mixcrate.com/djkomodo
DJ Blurr - Longtime 1015 Resident will bring the classic trance sound to FanimeCon
   http://www.djblurr.com   http://www.soundcloud.com/dj-blurr
DJ revIse - Puts on the headphones in addition to the microphone and spins his synergy of Hardcore and Con Music.
DJ Myty Mike - Local San Jose Club Resident bringing a banging set to you!
   http://mixcrate.com/mytymyke   http://soundcloud.com/djmytymyke

zero-121

Quote from: eHash on May 13, 2013, 06:52:06 PM

•   Chemical-based glow products (I.E. glow sticks, necklaces, or bracelets) are not allowed

Could you explain why glow sticks will not be allowed in? This is a little upsetting considering how late these rules were posted. I bought a pack of 500 glow sticks before these were posted so it would be nice for a reason why these are not allowed. I'm not asking to be exempt from this rule but I hope you can understand how this is frustrating due to the late notice of these rules. Please do not say these are the same rules as last year since I wasn't there or the years before.

eHash

Quote from: zero-121 on May 21, 2013, 11:48:00 PM
Quote from: eHash on May 13, 2013, 06:52:06 PM

Could you explain why glow sticks will not be allowed in? This is a little upsetting considering how late these rules were posted. I bought a pack of 500 glow sticks before these were posted so it would be nice for a reason why these are not allowed. I'm not asking to be exempt from this rule but I hope you can understand how this is frustrating due to the late notice of these rules. Please do not say these are the same rules as last year since I wasn't there or the years before.
Correctly stated, this has been the rule for the past several years. 
This was rule has been put in place:
(1) Breakage, and the potential damage to the area.  The dance staff has been told in the past that if a glow stick is broken, the dance will be shutdown and the Union HazMat Facilities team will need to be brought in to clean up the chemicals.
(2) Attendees cracking them open and using the highly toxic chemicals inside to make their skin or cosplay glow. This is a health risk as well as the potential damage to the facilities.  Think that people will know better? 2 years ago we made and exception to a rule that had been in place for 2 years and some kids thought they could glow cracked them open, damaged the carpet, and had a bad skin irritation.

abcbadcat

Hey guys, my name is DJ badcat and I will be DJing at the dance in Ballroom F Saturday night from 9PM - 11PM

If you wanna check out the style of music I will be playing and would like to listen or download some free live mixes, you can check out my mixcrate page at www.mixcrate.com/abcbadcat or listen to my electronic music radio show tomorrow morning on 90.5 FM KSJS from 10AM - 1PM

As a long time Fanime attendee, it is a great honor to finally be able to give back and be able to play music for people at Fanime and I hope you are able to join us at any time during the duration of the convention :3

As far as glowsticks go, there are two awesome alternatives
1) You can go to Target and find the Life Gear ECO-Stick which is an LED based glowstick that lasts much longer and is arguably much brighter than a traditional chemical based glowstick. To top that off, they're only $2! If you want to see what the packaging looks like, you can check it out here: http://www.target.com/p/eco-stick-1-pack/-/A-14245750#prodSlot=medium_1_2&term=glow+stick (they come in red, blue and green)

2) If you are in the area, www.emazinglights.com now has a retail store in Milpitas! They have all kinds of dance gear including what they're most famous for: light gloves! The location address is 100 Dixon Landing Road, Milpitas, CA and are open Mon - Sun: 1:00 pm - 7:00 pm. If you would like more info, their facebook page is here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Norcal-Emazinglights/266490283485068?id=266490283485068&sk=info

Hakaru_chan

I don't know if this has been addressed but I wonder if the staffers/door checkers will know the difference between the types of glow sticks people will bring to the dances? My friend is attending the dance for the first time, I, myself do not attend the dances..
Backstage Personality for CWF - Cosplay Wrestling Federation
www.twitch.tv/cwfnetwork

abcbadcat

Chemical glowsticks don't have any sort of on button or twisting function so it should be fairly obvious

AkatsukiRedMoon

How come the dance is no longer 18+? I remember there used to be ID checks for 18+ in the dance. Its disturbing to see little girls being grinded on by old white/asian guys (MOSTLY). The little girls would tell them no and they would still try to put their dicks on their ass.

eHash

Quote from: AkatsukiRedMoon on May 29, 2013, 09:40:19 PM
How come the dance is no longer 18+? I remember there used to be ID checks for 18+ in the dance. Its disturbing to see little girls being grinded on by old white/asian guys (MOSTLY). The little girls would tell them no and they would still try to put their dicks on their ass.
The main FanimeCon Dance has always been an all ages event.
At one point we held the 2nd room in the Hilton for a few years, but lack of knowledge that it existed and low attendance prompted us to incorporate the 2nd dancefloor closer to the main room.

Whenever an attendee at the dance feels that they have been touched, or even just approached inappropriately, find a rover.

crystalsoul

i see the same DJs every year, and while i love a lot of them, i wish that you would give up some slots to make room for some new Djs. i noticed in the description of the Djs, only 3 were listed as making their Debut to fanime.

eHash, not trying to single you out or anything but you are a perfect example. you got to preform every single dance, every single night. you could have given up one of your slots during the weekend and let another new Dj preform for at least one night.

i love the variety we see at con, but i also love seeing new faces that bring different music to the con. And please dont take this post as a bash, it was not my intention. it was just something that i thought about during con and wished to express it here where it can be seen.

eHash

Quote from: crystalsoul on May 30, 2013, 05:16:30 PM
i see the same DJs every year, and while i love a lot of them, i wish that you would give up some slots to make room for some new Djs. i noticed in the description of the Djs, only 3 were listed as making their Debut to fanime.

eHash, not trying to single you out or anything but you are a perfect example. you got to preform every single dance, every single night. you could have given up one of your slots during the weekend and let another new Dj preform for at least one night.

i love the variety we see at con, but i also love seeing new faces that bring different music to the con. And please dont take this post as a bash, it was not my intention. it was just something that i thought about during con and wished to express it here where it can be seen.

Crystal:
Thanks for your feedback.  As the head I take the last spot in the small room for the first 2 nights because I hold the ability to close the room early if the attendance drops to the point where we push everyone to the other room.  Could you imagine if I booked someone and then closed the room without giving them a chance to spin? 

For the last 2 years I have created more opportunities for DJs than any previous year by moving the 2nd dance floor closer.  However, every year we face the problem of not being able to recruit enough staff unless we offer them DJ spots in return for their hours staffing the dance.  We have finally reached a point where we might be able to incorporate the additional tech costs into the official department budget, a staff DJ has had to put in at least 25 hours of staffing. Some like myself, spend hundreds of hours creating the event, have to be on duty for 40+ hours during the con and bring over $50k (you read that right) of equipment.  It is not a well known fact, but much of the equipment is personally owned and provided by us for use at Con.  This isn't the right place for me to say this, but I've personally had other DJs break over $9k worth of my equipment the last 4 years (at my own loss), which is why there is a tight screening process that has been put into place. 

We try and bring in new DJs every year.

We Had 25 DJs this year:
Returning DJs- Reign, Empathy (2nd year), eHash, Dark0, PreyX (2nd Year), Red White, Melvis, RadPaolo, PeterlO, Sandman, Komodo (2nd Year)
New DJs - Ponyo (didn't perform, but was scheduled, replaced by Peter Lo), Kaminari, Kepik, RE7, Sequence, EZ, Badcat, LIBK (Keith, Eugene, Harnick), Blurr, revIse, Jason (Hardcore DJ), and Myty Mike

14 New DJS performing at FanimeCon for the First Time (That's over half).

As for the statement directed specifically towards me, I do give up timeslots or portions of timeslots, last  year I gave up 2 timeslots.  Just because MY name is in the slot, doesn't mean that I will keep it.  The head or 2nd's often give up their hours to late adds, substitutions, or room closures.

For a good portion of the staff they needed to put in at least 18 hours of work time in order to get 2 1 hour time slots.
And I'd like to take this opportunity to commend my 2013 staff, because working the dance means: you don't get off work till 4AM, you might be too tired to do anything at Con during the day, you miss any other night events (Black And White, MusicFest, Hentai, and Cosplay Spectacular)

minah

eHash,

Don't want to start any wars or anything haha but just letting you know I actually thought you were one of the best DJs of the night :) I got really excited whenever I saw your name on the board's timeslots cus I knew there would be good music coming! Let me know if you're performing in any future events!

leepoffaith

I heard a couple djs play anime music, including 2 guys in touhou crossplay. I have to ask, everyone is complaining about so much "EDM", but how the hell do you dance to anime music?  I guess it'd be cool standing in a room of thousand people going "wtf?"
2013 Cosplays
Day 1 - Sona (LoL)
Day 2 - Leefa (SAO)
Day 3 - Asuna (SAO)
Day 4 - Britney Spears

eHash

some people enjoy the aging/aged remixes of anime and video game music...
what would people like to hear more or less of in 2014?

MarionetteCosplay

Quote from: eHash on June 29, 2013, 06:01:52 AM
some people enjoy the aging/aged remixes of anime and video game music...
what would people like to hear more or less of in 2014?
Unfortunately my friends and I could not stay all night for the dances to listen to all the Djs but we felt that there should have been more hardstyle. It is rather difficult for me to dance to much else. Haha. But my opinion still stands, next year, there should be more hardstyle. And or maybe some Nightcore.