FanimeCon App

Started by otakuya, May 19, 2013, 04:14:00 PM

Dimm

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply  :D They've done a good job with it so far and it looks like it will become a great tool for attendees in the future. I'll wait for the update then give it a whirl!

Avairrianna

Quote from: MPLe on May 20, 2013, 02:21:28 PM
Quick notes since I don't have much time to go through and format this post nicely (quote people and whatnot):
* This is a legit thing. DevAtelier is amazing for this and we hope to only improve on this. :)
* All information on it isn't finalized. We're hastily getting the schedule data on our schedule website, which will automatically update in the app (it's "magic" for those that aren't tech savvy and "data feeds" to those that are).
* There is an iOS version that is planning to be released. *crosses fingers*
* An update has been submitted to Android to allow it to work on tablets as well as remove all permissions that we don't need (we don't really want to know anything about your text messages, record your audio, etc.). The new version only requires two things: internet and GPS.
* We're still trying to see options as to what we can do and this is a start. There will never be a perfect solution, but we will work towards a solution that will work for many users.

MPLe! You're almost at 1337 posts! (Sorry that made me happy)
Cosplays in work:
?

Gatherings in charge of in 2017:
Steven Universe

SpiritOfKairi

Quick notes since I don't have much time to go through and format this post nicely (quote people and whatnot):
* This is a legit thing. DevAtelier is amazing for this and we hope to only improve on this. :)
* All information on it isn't finalized. We're hastily getting the schedule data on our schedule website, which will automatically update in the app (it's "magic" for those that aren't tech savvy and "data feeds" to those that are).
* There is an iOS version that is planning to be released. *crosses fingers*
* An update has been submitted to Android to allow it to work on tablets as well as remove all permissions that we don't need (we don't really want to know anything about your text messages, record your audio, etc.). The new version only requires two things: internet and GPS.
* We're still trying to see options as to what we can do and this is a start. There will never be a perfect solution, but we will work towards a solution that will work for many users.

Awesome =).  The schedule displayed before seemed a bit scant, and the schedule is the whole reason why I downloaded the app.  If it will be updated soon as staff knows more and updates the online version though, that sounds great!

Admiral Donuts

So can we get access to the feeds?

cr08

Just some constructive criticism here with the preface that I understand it is still very beta. And some of this will likely have to wait til Fanime 2014 if you guys plan on keeping it around:

~ Make hardware back buttons aliased to the on screen 'back' buttons in the top left. Hit the hardware button about 3 times now trying to back out of an event detail and got kicked back to the play store I was on
~ Somewhat out of your control-slash-can be done: Location and event tracking on the map. Part that is out of your control: Google Maps can do interior maps which would be amazing but usually requires said building owner to run with it. Between of the con center, Marriott, Hilton, Fairmont, etc.. that becomes greatly problematic. Location tracking on the con center layout ('Venues' page) is doable but complex and I haven't looked into the technical aspect personally but navigation/location on arbitrary layout maps has been done. All in all something possibly to look into for '14 if interested?
~ Landscape mode. Not a HUGE concern but as someone who is still rocking a 'lower' res 854x480 phone, some event titles are overflowing the screen quite a bit and being able to scroll the list in landscape mode would be a nice aesthetic.
~ Notification/'Want to attend' event tracker. A separate list of personally tracked events one wants to attend. Bonus points for utilizing active notifications ahead of time ie: 15/30 minutes or so before start time run a standard android notification.

HarpB

My only requests are, make it possible to create my own calendar or share the feed, so I can create a guidebook for myself :D

Rhornez

waiting for info to be replenished and updated

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

kookiekween99

Oh sweet, the iOS version is out! *downloads*

EDIT: Alright. Feedback time.

- It doesn't work without an internet connection. I know it relies on data feeds, but since free wifi is scarce and I don't like relying on data unless I really have to (not to mention that iPod Touches can't use data), I wonder how useful this will be during con. Perhaps there could be a way to have an offline mode and an online mode? In online mode it would fetch the latest information, and in offline mode, it would just display the info it downloaded last time it was online. Either that or add more free wifi in the convention center/other buildings.

- I wish I could tap on the event name in the schedule and get more information about it. For example, tapping on a panel name could give me the panel decription and maybe a more specific location like "Panel Room II in the Marriott." I also wish it would give me the end time of each event. Right now, the functionality is that it shows me the name, start time, and location of the event in the schedule, and when I tap on it, it just gives me that exact same information by itself.

- Artist Alley is listed on the schedule as being in SJCC. Isn't it in South Hall this year? Might want to correct to prevent confusion.

- My mom is head of Info Desk, and she says the hours for Info Desk are listed incorrectly. She understands it's a work in progress, and she's excited that this is even a thing, but it'd be nice to have it fixed by Thursday.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

Belfry

This is great! I went looking for a Fanime app a couple months ago and was disappointed to see that there wasn't one available. I'm very happy that it has both a schedule and a map of the convention center.

I do have one request, though. On the schedule, would it be possible to get a more detailed location than "SJCC" or "Marriott?" I'd like to know if say, an event is being held in Panels 1, rather than Panels 2.

Thanks so much for releasing the app.

M

The app has almost all placeholder content. Unfortunately, the only way to test it requires an odd method that we weren't prepared to do in such short notice and it was better for us to get it approved and then update it than wait to get it approved (considering that this is a long weekend).

It does require internet, but we're looking to do an offline shedule.

In short, too much content was changing at the final minutes that the developer had to work with what he can (he is truly an awesome developer!).
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

abcbadcat

As the app isn't officially released yet, you all have to realize this is a step in the right direction  ;)