Would this be ok?

Started by mookiebear, May 22, 2013, 11:45:16 AM

mookiebear

Say I wanted to bring a sign that says "Free Hugs!" or "Hug me! It's my birthday!" would this be allowed seeing as how it's not asking for money? Or no? If not, totally understandable, I just want to know beforehand if this is fine.
]

Hakaru_chan

Quote from: mookiebear on May 22, 2013, 11:45:16 AM
Say I wanted to bring a sign that says "Free Hugs!" or "Hug me! It's my birthday!" would this be allowed seeing as how it's not asking for money? Or no? If not, totally understandable, I just want to know beforehand if this is fine.

i think i saw a thread about this somewhere but i think its a general no because its still a solicitation of "services" and with any situation like this, there will always be that chance of misinterpretation of harassment or unwanted behavior/touching etc.
Backstage Personality for CWF - Cosplay Wrestling Federation
www.twitch.tv/cwfnetwork

Rhornez

Unfortunately due to the infamous Hug Alley, and the sweaty people that dont know what a shower is hugging people left and right without consent, banned its use. its a shame really but whatever. i got a random hug when i was cosplaying by a lady in that alley. strange year lol

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

Tsu

I'm pretty sure signs as a whole are semi-banned... semi meaning if it's part of your costume, it's usually ok.

But most people are easy going about hugs. You could always ask individuals if you can hug them, or even stand around with your arms open like you're giving a hug, lol. I'm sure people would partake.
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019

mookiebear

Oh ok thanks lol! Cause it's my birthday on the 26th, just thought it'd be a fun idea but I won't go against rules. :)
]

EJAY420

I must be the only one who hates hugs from strangers. Must be a youth thing.
Most Impressive.

Nina Star 9

Quote from: EJAY420 on May 22, 2013, 03:18:15 PM
I must be the only one who hates hugs from strangers. Must be a youth thing.
I also hate hugs from strangers, and always have, even when I was a teen and going to cons.

I really don't get the whole "free hugs" thing.

Keep in mind that if you ask nicely and the person refuses, to just say "thanks anyway!" with a smile and move on, and not to try to pressure the person into hugging you or -- even worse -- hugging them anyway. They could simply not like hugs, the could have a delicate costume, they could have a medical condition that prevents them from hugging comfortably, etc., and it isn't your business to know or care why they don't want a hug or to try to force it.

Not that you specifically would do this, but it's a good reminder for the rest of the huggy crowd. I'll stay over here with plenty of my own personal space, thank you.

mookiebear

I don't necessarily like hugs either from random people on most occasions, I just want to make my first time at fanime and my birthday fun.
]