Reg feedback (Feedback will not effectively reach staff if you do not use form)

Started by Poochy.EXE, May 24, 2013, 01:17:31 AM

ewu

Quote from: Baconshinobi on June 02, 2013, 01:43:58 PM
And so I ask: when is the soonest we can sign up for Fanime 2014?

In the last few days we have put in a lot of thought and put in a lot of time meeting. We hope to have a new registration process that we can share with you. However, I am relatively certain that pre-reg will not begin until December or January. We will keep you updated on developments and updates for all aspects of the con, particularly registration.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

otakuya

^ I thought there were many people who already pre-regged for 2014 on Fanime Monday last week.
It would then seem like there are parts of the registration system that will be the same, if the pre-reg process is the same as well and people already paid for next year. So it sounds like there won't be a huge change in the system then?

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: Otakuya on June 02, 2013, 07:00:53 PM
^ I thought there were many people who already pre-regged for 2014 on Fanime Monday last week.
It would then seem like there are parts of the registration system that will be the same, if the pre-reg process is the same as well and people already paid for next year. So it sounds like there won't be a huge change in the system then?

Yes, for as long as I can remember (2007), you have always been able to register for the next con on the last day of the current one.  I've heard the membership rate is discounted, but I'm not sure if it actually is, or by how much.  But you don't get an email saying you're in the registration system until almost right before Fanime, so it does make some people who do it get antsy that nothing's appearing in their inboxes yet.

otakuya

^ My question is that the registration system is same as this year because some people already paid.
If there was something drastically different to registration system, pre-regging shouldn't have been opened yet, something new is in place, or existing registration data is transferrable to a new system.

My best guess is that there won't be a new registration system (like mailings or barcodes etc...), but rather new registration procedures.
I'm hopeful I'm wrong, because I'd like to see new everything.

renalcul

Quote from: Otakuya on June 02, 2013, 07:52:11 PM
^ My question is that the registration system is same as this year because some people already paid.
If there was something drastically different to registration system, pre-regging shouldn't have been opened yet, something new is in place, or existing registration data is transferrable to a new system.

My best guess is that there won't be a new registration system (like mailings or barcodes etc...), but rather new registration procedures.
Yeah, fanime kind of needs to make a change and wrestle with the lawyers.

SOawesomeness

We're working on different ideas right now but I'm thinking about new systems. Changing procedures don't fix the underlying systematic issue, and I understand that very clearly.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys!
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

ewu

Lots of changes in the works, we are not even sure what will change yet. As for those that registered at the end of 2013 for 2014. It does not signify there will not be a change. Those that have already registered are simply dumped onto a spreadsheet or database and integrated into the new system that we have yet to work out.

The end result is the same, those that pre-registered at the end of 2013 will have full weekend pre-registered memberships come 2014, but how that comes to be is still in the works.

Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

xkuramaxhieix

I don't know about the regular lines for registration, but pre-reg line was awful! Especially thursday! We kept getting moved(not fanime's fault), and people kept cutting, or leaving the line and just sneaking into the other room!

Next year, what fanime should do, to make pre-reg go faster is ask for a bunch of volunteers, and then go through the database and make all of the pre-reg badges ahead of time, then file the badges in boxes alphabetically by their last name. That way, when people who pre-reg come to pick up their badge, it's a lot faster, and you can just hand the person their badge and bag. Also, as a perk for the people who do volunteer to do this, they could get their badges as a 'thank you' for helping, but of course you can also stress to these volunteers that they can't show their badges off to other attendees until thursday, or pre-reg early pick up day. If we had something like this, I'd be more than willing to come out and help.

dfens

Is counterfeit badges a real a concern that badges can't be mailed? I'm asking because what's the point of worrying about it and trying to crack down on it if the staff, rovers, and security don't even check to make sure people even have a badge.

The only time I was asked to show my badge was the dealers hall and artist alley. When I walked around the halls, went to panels, the viewing rooms, the main entrance to the convention center etc not once was I checked or was anyone else. You got people all over especially people taking pictures with no badges who come only for the cosplayers. Also a guy I know not a real friend met up with me and some other paying con goers and he walked around badge-less to all those same places without a care in the world part of me felt like a sucker paying 60 dollars when I could have did the same. Look I get it, that it would suck if every 2 seconds you stopped or tried to stop random people and requested a badge check, so why not have a specific place you have to display your badge at all times or you may warrant a badge check and ejection from the con. For my badge it was around my neck hanging the whole time for the world to see, and part of the time around the camera bag strapped across the side of my chest when I had my camera. Some people had them clipped to their belts.

The 3.5 hours I waited in line to get my badge was ridiculous, and some of my friends waited over 6-8 hours. Hell I would have gladly worked a few extra hours at work to earn the cash to pay extra for my badge to be mailed overnight with insurance and a signature confirmation.

What's really funny is a week prior at the same San Jose Convention center I didn't pre-register either for the Big Wow Comic Con and I waited a mere 5 minutes or less in line. I went up to a booth gave them my money and they gave me a nameless badge for that day that I had to wear at all times and was on my way if they can do it why can't Fanime? To this day I don't see why people have to register why can't it be like a movie theater I get to the window request a pass, then pay and be on my way. You want to see my ID no problem.

My biggest complaint to this day why can't you pre-register or wait in a stupid line to buy your badge for the next day say wait in line friday for a saturday badge? Anime Expo lets you do this. If I wanted to go saturday only, I don't want to wait in a several hour line day of I want to show up and start enjoying the con right off the bat.

All I know is Fanime better get their act together, I'm going to try Japan Expo this year and if they don't have all these long line BS I'll just go to them instead.

SOawesomeness

Quote from: xkuramaxhieix on June 04, 2013, 08:31:13 PM
Next year, what fanime should do, to make pre-reg go faster is ask for a bunch of volunteers, and then go through the database and make all of the pre-reg badges ahead of time, then file the badges in boxes alphabetically by their last name. That way, when people who pre-reg come to pick up their badge, it's a lot faster, and you can just hand the person their badge and bag. Also, as a perk for the people who do volunteer to do this, they could get their badges as a 'thank you' for helping, but of course you can also stress to these volunteers that they can't show their badges off to other attendees until thursday, or pre-reg early pick up day. If we had something like this, I'd be more than willing to come out and help.
Usually if volunteers work with us on Day Zero and they pre/early registered, we give them their badges once Registration opens or when we have the capabilities to do so. It had been more of a "thank you" but I guess I can work on recruiting/incentivizing volunteers to work for Reg as well... this will be an area that I will attempt to explore. Thank you!
Ellie S.
Head of Registration

yumicchi88

I was really disappointed on the name sticker on the badge.  Since it was my 10th anniversary of Fanime Attendance, I was really not happy about the badge.   

My suggestion is to email the pre-reg (maybe the ones that pre-reg'd by end of this year) once it closes, and ask for verification of their mailing address.  And mail the badge to the ones that replied.
This way, I have a feeling the line for at-con pick up will be shorter and more advantage for the people who really registered early. 
But I know this is more work for the staff, too.
This year I will Volunteer!

Excited about Karaoke Contest!!

enlogen

Quote from: SOawesomeness on June 03, 2013, 10:25:31 AM
We're working on different ideas right now but I'm thinking about new systems. Changing procedures don't fix the underlying systematic issue, and I understand that very clearly.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys!

What, in your opinion, is the underlying systematic issue? I understand that registration can only proceed as quickly as the slowest part of the pipeline, so what takes the most time per registration processed? Payment processing? Registration # lookup? Printing the badges?

Printing the badges ahead of time and having them waiting won't make things any quicker if everyone still has to wait to pay or to provide ID or to be found in the system. Without knowing the root cause of this issue, it's difficult to make effective suggestions about how to make things better.

ewu

Quote from: enlogen on June 10, 2013, 01:48:32 AM
What, in your opinion, is the underlying systematic issue? I understand that registration can only proceed as quickly as the slowest part of the pipeline, so what takes the most time per registration processed? Payment processing? Registration # lookup? Printing the badges?

Printing the badges ahead of time and having them waiting won't make things any quicker if everyone still has to wait to pay or to provide ID or to be found in the system. Without knowing the root cause of this issue, it's difficult to make effective suggestions about how to make things better.

The long and short is that reg is a complicated beast. For a complete picture, people working on this issue must be staff and be in the appropriate position to contribute to the evaluation and design of the 2014 system. It is far from something that can or should be discussed in a public forum. We have people experienced in the Fanime reg system as well as those with an understanding of such complex issues working on this. If you have some unique experience, qualifications, or skills, we would love for you to join the team, but at this point we are not able to share the whole of our reg processes, both past and future, on a public forum. Thanks!
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Tsubasakissu

So~
Every year at Fanime, I only ever do two things: Dealers hall (like twice per weekend) and the Artist Alley (maybe 2-3 times?) and 5-65 dollars for just those two things is quite a bit of change. (NOTE: I also host 1-3 panels, but I never go and see other panels)
So, maybe a possibility of a "limited access" badge could be a thing? a badge that only allows you into the Artist Alley, Dealers Hall, and maybe the game room (I dont go there ever, but Ive heard of some people spending like  80% of their time in this room) at a bit of a lower rate? Like $45? Still pretty high up there, but still 20 dollars less than 65~

Just a passing thought~

NOTE: inb4 fanime would lost money: I see thousands and thousands of people who go to at least once concert, rave, dance, panel, or signing or karaoke or whatever. And most people probably want to make better use of their 65 dollar badge rather than just go to the AA/Dealers hall, so the percentage of people who only go to dealers/AA probably isnt that high. And, right now, fanime is LOSING money because lots of people are not buying badges, these people go without badges and just borrow a badge when they want to go to the AA or dealers, meaning that fanime is currently losing money because of badge swapping. This could be an un-tapped resource.

Aoi Memori

I gotta agree with you on that one... I myself only went for Line Con on Friday (those 5 hours of my life that were taken away and STILL had to pay full price for the con), dearlers, artist alley and game room since I saw nothing that piqued my interest in panels this year. That's ALL I did besides going to gatherings and taking pictures ALL weekend. It really felt like a waste of $65 in my book .-.
Fanime 2013 Line-up
FFX Yuna - Friday
Umineko Maria/KH Xion - Saturday
Evangelion Sun dress Asuka- Sunday
KH Xion - Monday

ewu

First, please submit this via the form so that the proper people can get it.

As for this idea, we will consider it, but its likely a no. We have always shyed away from special event specific tickets, particularly for B+W ball and musicfest. If you submit it to the form, the proper people will look at it.

Thanks!

Quote from: Tsubasakissu on June 10, 2013, 10:44:00 PM
So~
Every year at Fanime, I only ever do two things: Dealers hall (like twice per weekend) and the Artist Alley (maybe 2-3 times?) and 5-65 dollars for just those two things is quite a bit of change. (NOTE: I also host 1-3 panels, but I never go and see other panels)
So, maybe a possibility of a "limited access" badge could be a thing? a badge that only allows you into the Artist Alley, Dealers Hall, and maybe the game room (I dont go there ever, but Ive heard of some people spending like  80% of their time in this room) at a bit of a lower rate? Like $45? Still pretty high up there, but still 20 dollars less than 65~

Just a passing thought~

NOTE: inb4 fanime would lost money: I see thousands and thousands of people who go to at least once concert, rave, dance, panel, or signing or karaoke or whatever. And most people probably want to make better use of their 65 dollar badge rather than just go to the AA/Dealers hall, so the percentage of people who only go to dealers/AA probably isnt that high. And, right now, fanime is LOSING money because lots of people are not buying badges, these people go without badges and just borrow a badge when they want to go to the AA or dealers, meaning that fanime is currently losing money because of badge swapping. This could be an un-tapped resource.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

davidnguyen408

Does anyone have this idea too? I have an idea about Pre-Reg Badge Pickup on Day Zero. If the line opens up around noon and stays open for most of the day it will reduce the line dramatically. I know that it will be challenging due to lack of staff, and it may be difficult due to time constraints. However, I believe it would be beneficial since it has been getting worse and worse every year by opening the pick up so late into the afternoon/ early evening. Opening earlier will be a convenience for some and staying open later will be a convenience for others.

ewu

David,

Thanks for the suggestion. We would have liked to open this year at noon too. That was the plan, but unfortunately circumstances beyond our control prevented us from opening then. We are looking to ensure that we have more flexibility next year.

For more info, see this post: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,18525.msg464497.html#msg464497

Thanks,
Eric

Quote from: davidnguyen408 on June 21, 2013, 10:57:13 PM
Does anyone have this idea too? I have an idea about Pre-Reg Badge Pickup on Day Zero. If the line opens up around noon and stays open for most of the day it will reduce the line dramatically. I know that it will be challenging due to lack of staff, and it may be difficult due to time constraints. However, I believe it would be beneficial since it has been getting worse and worse every year by opening the pick up so late into the afternoon/ early evening. Opening earlier will be a convenience for some and staying open later will be a convenience for others.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

leepoffaith

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I will lend my 2 cents.  I attend the con and did pre reg, but on Thursday I was at my day job, and not just at my day job, I was attending a business meeting in a room that I recognized as typically being used for FanimeCon, and we felt like we were unfairly pushed out of that room.  My company has already filed a grievance with the hotel, but this is an example when worlds collide it shows that people don't often realize other people were booked for those rooms months in advance.
2013 Cosplays
Day 1 - Sona (LoL)
Day 2 - Leefa (SAO)
Day 3 - Asuna (SAO)
Day 4 - Britney Spears

SOawesomeness

Ellie S.
Head of Registration