What's with all the Homestuck hate?

Started by kookiekween99, May 28, 2013, 12:08:26 AM

MikanCos

^6. Sailor Moon 7. Vocaloids 8. Naruto 

Homestuck has a good story line and that's good :D
Fanime Mascot Candy (5 years)
Previously StageZero Performer (Now SZ Staff!)

kookiekween99

Homestuck cosplay is simple and easy? Really? Well, I suppose it can be, if you're not putting in a whole lot of effort. But doing homestuck cosplay well takes a lot of work. I'm not just talking about the trolls. My cosplay personally took me all year. I can find and cite many examples of amazingly complicated Homestuck cosplays.

As for the sheer amount, I have no idea what to do about that. It's not like Homestuck can break off and have its own con. There have been discussions on the MSPA forums, and it was decided that a Homestuck-oriented con would not be viable at this time. Other than cosplay, what kind of programming would there be? And where would it take place? Where would the funding come from?

I deeply apologize if some cosplayers were personally rude to anyone. I hope no one thinks they represent the fandom as a whole. Almost everyone I personally know in the fandom is extremely pleasant.

What do you propose we, as a fandom, should do to make this less of a problem? Just stop enjoying it? Stop cosplaying it? Try to use tumblr to continue spreading the word of "Don't be an asshole, you're making us look bad"?
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

PinkHairSasuke

Quote from: 01 on May 28, 2013, 11:08:59 PM
^6. Sailor Moon 7. Vocaloids 8. Naruto 

Homestuck has a good story line and that's good :D

Quote from: kookiekween99 on May 28, 2013, 11:35:57 PM
Homestuck cosplay is simple and easy? Really? Well, I suppose it can be, if you're not putting in a whole lot of effort. But doing homestuck cosplay well takes a lot of work. I'm not just talking about the trolls. My cosplay personally took me all year. I can find and cite many examples of amazingly complicated Homestuck cosplays.

As for the sheer amount, I have no idea what to do about that. It's not like Homestuck can break off and have its own con. There have been discussions on the MSPA forums, and it was decided that a Homestuck-oriented con would not be viable at this time. Other than cosplay, what kind of programming would there be? And where would it take place? Where would the funding come from?

I deeply apologize if some cosplayers were personally rude to anyone. I hope no one thinks they represent the fandom as a whole. Almost everyone I personally know in the fandom is extremely pleasant.

What do you propose we, as a fandom, should do to make this less of a problem? Just stop enjoying it? Stop cosplaying it? Try to use tumblr to continue spreading the word of "Don't be an asshole, you're making us look bad"?

With every cosplay group, there will always be people who act like asses. It gives a bad image for everyone who cosplays it because then people tend to stereotype. It's a wrong mindset to have honestly. I personally don't judge Homestuck cosplayers as a whole, I treat it on an individual basis. All cosplayers of it I talked to were quite friendly. I'd just say keep doing what you're doing if you personally are being polite and respectful of others; ignore haters.

spycker

are you talking about my thread? if so, i never hated it, just dont call it an anime like some people were...thats all

kookiekween99

Quote from: spycker on May 28, 2013, 11:54:40 PM
are you talking about my thread? if so, i never hated it, just dont call it an anime like some people were...thats all

Not just that thread. I saw it in several other threads as well.

JackMackerel

I'm not a Homestuck fan by any means, but the reason for the hate is mostly idiotic nerd internet grudges boiling over into real life. I'm fully aware a lot of the Homestuck fandom is insane, but jesus, applying it to an entire group is stupid as hell. Same reason why Naruto cosplayers get bashed to hell and back.

Also, the 'don't cosplay things that are simple and easy' bullshit needs to die. NEWS FLASH, NERD: No one but you and your group of shitty elitists care.

PinkHairSasuke

Quote from: JackMackerel on May 29, 2013, 12:18:31 AM
I'm not a Homestuck fan by any means, but the reason for the hate is mostly idiotic nerd internet grudges boiling over into real life. I'm fully aware a lot of the Homestuck fandom is insane, but jesus, applying it to an entire group is stupid as hell. Same reason why Naruto cosplayers get bashed to hell and back.

Also, the 'don't cosplay things that are simple and easy' bullshit needs to die. NEWS FLASH, NERD: No one but you and your group of shitty elitists care.

I didn't even know that us Naruto cosplayers were still on the hot seat. Damn, people hold grudges forever!

JackMackerel

Quote from: PinkHairSasuke on May 29, 2013, 12:21:26 AM
Quote from: JackMackerel on May 29, 2013, 12:18:31 AM

I didn't even know that us Naruto cosplayers were still on the hot seat. Damn, people hold grudges forever!

I heard people bitch about the fandom as a whole this year, out loud, twice. Jesus, it's 2013, give it a rest, people!

Nina Star 9

As to obnoxious Homestuck fans --

I have encountered obnoxious HS fans before. There are going to be obnoxious people in any fandom, and in a large fandom like HS, there are going to be more, just because of the sheer number of fans. Those obnoxious people are going to stand out more than anyone else, just because they are more visible.

However, at this con, I ran into very, very few obnoxious or rude HS cosplayers. In fact, I was really, really happy because the vast majority of Homestucks I ran into were incredibly nice and polite. Homestucks, more than any other fandom I've been a part of, have a way of instantly accepting people. Some of the absolute nicest people I met at this con were Homestucks.

Here's an example. At the start of the gathering, I was really upset because my costume that I worked really hard on wasn't working out, I was late to the gathering, and I was in panic mode. I got to the gathering, and everyone understood perfectly and made me feel right at home. Someone who was cosplaying the same character I was took me aside and her dad fixed my horns so they would stay upright (which was the problem I was having), and they remained fairly stable for the rest of the gathering, though they were so large that I could hardly move. Without me even asking for help, perfect strangers were willing to step in and do almost anything for me because they knew that I had limited mobility. I was feeling much better at this point, because everyone helped me out so much and was so kind to me, even though I wasn't nearly as personable as I usually am because I started out being quite upset and then ended up feeling much better but in incredible pain and not being able to move my head much because of the amount of weight on it (27" horns, three 100cm wigs attached together, long ponytail clips, etc.) and because of the size and instability of my horns. Really, everyone there saved my entire day, maybe my entire con, from being a bad experience because they were all so, so good to me when I was having quite a bad day. I didn't personally witness anyone being rude or obnoxious at the gathering. It was huge, yes, but everyone there was FANTASTIC. (In comparison, I was at the Final Fantasy gathering the day before, and people were much, much less considerate -- stepping on my bag, not paying attention and walking into my costume, being rude, etc. There were plenty of great people there, too, but I didn't get nearly the same treatment by FF fans as I did by HS fans. I was in large and elaborate costumes for both gatherings.)

HS fans also seem to be the most likely to treat a cosplayer as a person in a costume, not as some pretty thing to be looked at/photographed/touched, which I'm thankful for. Again, in comparison to the FF gathering, I was treated like a person in an elaborate costume, not as just as elaborate costume.

As for HS cosplays being lazy, yes, some of them are pretty simple (my "lazy" cosplay, which consists of a knit dress, short wig, and boots, that I wear when I'm too tired to wear something else, is HS, and many of the costumes are simple shirts and pants), but a lot of other series have simple outfits, as well, there just aren't as many of them. I'd personally rather see someone dress up in a simple cosplay from something they like than not dress up at all because they don't have the right skills to make a costume. There are also a lot of really elaborate costumes that people do, whether canon or AU, and the people who want to do these outfits do these outfits. They are probably the same people who would be making an elaborate costume from something else if hey weren't into HS, but instead make a HS ballgown or an ancestor troll from giant horns and lots of detailing. My costume involved the aforementioned 27" horns, a 6+" double trident, a neoprene suit with applique work, and lots of jewelry. It isn't the most elaborate HS costume design out there, by far, but is anything but lazy. (My Sunday night costume was also HS and also not lazy -- it was a very fancy Rose cosplay, complete with blinged-out knitting needles)

I'm not going to touch the East vs. West debate, but I thought I'd put in some of my own personal experiences with how AMAZING the HS fandom can be, especially in comparison to other fandoms.

Yuu- pon

Those who do not put any effort into are the ones people are talking abut when they say ' lazy'   The first time I saw HS cosplay, there were a whole lot of them but every single one was just the jeans and a T-shirt costumes. Back then I think  only saw one person with horns.

Since then some of them have gotten a lot more complex, some are very nice with obvious effort put into it.

To me, when people do 'lazy costumes' I wonder if they're actually fans of the series or just wanted to cosplay as SOMETHING and thought ' hey that looks easy".

I wondered the same when Death note and "L" cosplay was at it's peak.

JackMackerel

It's weird, this year, there were a LOT more Homestuckers putting way more effort into the horns and full-body grey makeup.

PinkHairSasuke

Quote from: Yuu- pon on May 29, 2013, 11:48:27 AM

Those who do not put any effort into are the ones people are talking abut when they say ' lazy'   The first time I saw HS cosplay, there were a whole lot of them but every single one was just the jeans and a T-shirt costumes. Back then I think  only saw one person with horns.

Since then some of them have gotten a lot more complex, some are very nice with obvious effort put into it.

To me, when people do 'lazy costumes' I wonder if they're actually fans of the series or just wanted to cosplay as SOMETHING and thought ' hey that looks easy".

I wondered the same when Death note and "L" cosplay was at it's peak.

I remember when L used to be everywhere. Probably one of the simplest cosplays ever.

Rhornez

>homestuck included with the words good plot and storyline

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

kookiekween99

Quote from: Rhornez on June 03, 2013, 11:28:26 AM

Unless you've read it yourself, you can't really judge, now can you?

It's one thing to judge a fandom by its fans. It's another to judge the source material based on its fans.

Amanojaku

My first exposure to Homestuck:  It was either Fanime '09 or '10, I forget, I noticed all these people in what looked like really simple cosplay.  Then I noticed slight variations between them, and figured it must be some series I've never heard of.  I politely asked one of the Homestuck cosplayers who they were, and I was really put off by the smug attitude I was given.  It was like cosplay hipsterism, I was more or less given a "It's a web comic, duh.  You've probably never heard of it."  Well 1,000 pardons, ma'am, I guess I'm out of the loop and should stay there. Smugness, or righteous indignation seems to be the general reaction to not being aware of their little niche.

Don't worry about them, or try to ban this type of cosplay.  It is a fad, and the problem will eventually work itself out.
FanimeCon attended: 17 times
1999 - 2001
2006 - 2019
2022 -
https://myanimelist.net/profile/MrAmanojaku
https://www.last.fm/user/Mramanojaku

PinkHairSasuke

Quote from: Amanojaku on June 03, 2013, 02:02:45 PM
My first exposure to Homestuck:  It was either Fanime '09 or '10, I forget, I noticed all these people in what looked like really simple cosplay.  Then I noticed slight variations between them, and figured it must be some series I've never heard of.  I politely asked one of the Homestuck cosplayers who they were, and I was really put off by the smug attitude I was given.  It was like cosplay hipsterism, I was more or less given a "It's a web comic, duh.  You've probably never heard of it."  Well 1,000 pardons, ma'am, I guess I'm out of the loop and should stay there. Smugness, or righteous indignation seems to be the general reaction to not being aware of their little niche.

Don't worry about them, or try to ban this type of cosplay.  It is a fad, and the problem will eventually work itself out.
^That

Rhornez

Quote from: kookiekween99 on June 03, 2013, 12:47:20 PM

It's one thing to judge a fandom by its fans. It's another to judge the source material based on its fans.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
and it sucked massively.

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

kookiekween99

Quote from: Rhornez on June 03, 2013, 05:37:15 PM
Quote from: kookiekween99 on June 03, 2013, 12:47:20 PM

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
and it sucked massively.

I apologize for my erroneous assumption, and I'm sorry that you did not enjoy it.

JackMackerel

le epic may may!!

p.s.: Don't do this.

Rhornez

Quote from: JackMackerel on June 04, 2013, 08:26:35 PM