What's with all the Homestuck hate?

Started by kookiekween99, May 28, 2013, 12:08:26 AM

Lucifargundam

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

MikanCos

Maybe it's because homestuck is a webcomic and not anime as in f-anime.  But that wouldn't make sense because fanime dealers sell comics.  The only thing that wouldn't really fit in this convention in particular would be people dressing up based on real life people or actors.
Fanime Mascot Candy (5 years)
Previously StageZero Performer (Now SZ Staff!)

kookiekween99

Quote from: Rhornez on June 04, 2013, 09:29:33 PM
Quote from: JackMackerel on June 04, 2013, 08:26:35 PM
Quote from: Rhornez on June 03, 2013, 11:28:26 AM
>homestuck included with the words good plot and storyline

le epic may may!!

p.s.: Don't do this.
le epic may may??

I think they're trying to make a joke on the word "meme", though I'm not 100% sure what that has to do with this conversation.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

PinkHairSasuke

Quote from: 01 on June 05, 2013, 10:05:09 PM
Maybe it's because homestuck is a webcomic and not anime as in f-anime.  But that wouldn't make sense because fanime dealers sell comics.  The only thing that wouldn't really fit in this convention in particular would be people dressing up based on real life people or actors.
Now I have to cancel my Neil Patrick Harris cosplay.

djmonolith

Quote from: PinkHairSasuke on June 06, 2013, 07:45:06 AM

As Doogie Howser... or as a unicorn?
This is my signature.

Rhornez

Quote from: kookiekween99 on June 05, 2013, 11:04:05 PM
Quote from: Rhornez on June 04, 2013, 09:29:33 PM
Quote from: JackMackerel on June 04, 2013, 08:26:35 PM
Quote from: Rhornez on June 03, 2013, 11:28:26 AM
>homestuck included with the words good plot and storyline

le epic may may!!

p.s.: Don't do this.
le epic may may??

I think they're trying to make a joke on the word "meme", though I'm not 100% sure what that has to do with this conversation.
Oh i know that, i just dont get why people will think its funny at all lol

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

PinkHairSasuke

Quote from: djmonolith on June 06, 2013, 09:00:57 AM
Quote from: PinkHairSasuke on June 06, 2013, 07:45:06 AM

As Doogie Howser... or as a unicorn?

As Doogie Howser dressing as a unicorn haha

Maskenlav

I personally think its because more and more of the non-anime related cosplayers aren't really into the anime scene and go within groups of friends as something they want themselves. Homestuckers or not to me, I saw more of non-costumed plain clothed attendees this year.
"I'll do it! I'll marry you!"

eralston

Quote from: Maskenlav on June 07, 2013, 06:45:44 PM
I personally think its because more and more of the non-anime related cosplayers aren't really into the anime scene and go within groups of friends as something they want themselves. Homestuckers or not to me, I saw more of non-costumed plain clothed attendees this year.

What's wrong with going un-costumed? I've been watching anime for 18 years (I'm only 23), been going to Fanime since 1999 (nearing 100 total conventions) and seen over 1400 anime series and have never really been into the cosplay thing.

Just because an attendee is "non-costumed plain clothed" doesn't mean that they aren't into the "anime scene".

EDIT: Regarding the "Homestuck hate". I have no problem with it and have seen similar influxes of fans ever since I started attending. In the late '90's-early '00's EVERYONE was obsessed with Eva, somewhere around 2004 there was a massive influx of Naruto cosplayers and fans, then we've seen Hetalia, My Little Pony and Homestuck in the past few years.

I wasn't a big fan of any of those "shows" at the time (partially due to watching Eva as an 8 year old) but have learned that the fandoms settle down in time.
Evan Ralston

Assistant Director of Guest Relations

EJAY420

Naruto, bleach, hetalia, mlp and now homestuck.  I wonder whats next that ppl are gonna hate. I personally dont give a shizo. Ive been at every fanime since 1996,  i have seen it all. This will pass as everythin else does. Nothing lives forever. Everything has an end. Even a time lord. :-)
Most Impressive.

MikanCos

There was also more Pokemon and blue exorcist this year. Not so much shugo chara as last year. Definitely a lot of homestuck, legend of Zelda, and legend of Korra.  Ib is starting to become a thing. :9
Fanime Mascot Candy (5 years)
Previously StageZero Performer (Now SZ Staff!)

Maskenlav

Quote from: eralston on June 07, 2013, 07:14:01 PM
Quote from: Maskenlav on June 07, 2013, 06:45:44 PM

What's wrong with going un-costumed? I've been watching anime for 18 years (I'm only 23), been going to Fanime since 1999 (nearing 100 total conventions) and seen over 1400 anime series and have never really been into the cosplay thing.

Just because an attendee is "non-costumed plain clothed" doesn't mean that they aren't into the "anime scene".

EDIT: Regarding the "Homestuck hate". I have no problem with it and have seen similar influxes of fans ever since I started attending. In the late '90's-early '00's EVERYONE was obsessed with Eva, somewhere around 2004 there was a massive influx of Naruto cosplayers and fans, then we've seen Hetalia, My Little Pony and Homestuck in the past few years.

I wasn't a big fan of any of those "shows" at the time (partially due to watching Eva as an 8 year old) but have learned that the fandoms settle down in time.

Nothing is wrong with that, I went one year in 08 plain clothed. I was just pointing out the turnout since people said Homestuck took over the con, so I semi-defended Homestuckers by saying there were MORE plain clothed non cosplayers this year :P

And to reply to your edit I remember when Hellsing was the popular anime around 07 in front of the MISSED AND NEVER FORGOTTEN fountains *tears* so many Herr Majors, Rip Van Winkles, Seras, Schrodinger, and Herr Doktors LOL
"I'll do it! I'll marry you!"

PinkHairSasuke

Quote from: EJAY420 on June 07, 2013, 08:07:38 PM
Naruto, bleach, hetalia, mlp and now homestuck.  I wonder whats next that ppl are gonna hate. I personally dont give a shizo. Ive been at every fanime since 1996,  i have seen it all. This will pass as everythin else does. Nothing lives forever. Everything has an end. Even a time lord. :-)
Naruto will live forever! We have the Will of Fire! :P

Sivartius

I have never read Homestuck, and probably never will, so I cannot form an opinion of it beyond: "Listening to the people who are into it describe it, it doesn't seem interesting enough for me to check it out." Most of the Homestuck cosplayers I met seemed to be pretty nice people, if sometimes a little monomyopic. One thing I do have to say. I went to a panel that was in a room right after a homestuck panel. When I went in, there was a bunch of trash on the floor, and some-one left a 1/3 full soda can open, on it's side, on the carpet. I picked it up and threw it out, but I have to say that I thought that was bad form.
I'm not actually crazy, but I'm not conventionally sane.

therandomeer

If I may say, as a Homestuck cosplayer and fan, I'm ashamed to hear that the fandom is frowned upon. It's understandable that people have had bad experiences with individuals, but that doesn't make everyone bad. And don't worry, as I was dressed up in a Homestuck costume, even my fellow Homestuckers gave me dirty looks, as it was my first year of being decked out in grey, and my costume wasn't as clean as theirs (At least my grey didn't get on anything, which I am damn well proud of.)
Cosplaying for the series is a bit difficult, though. The Model Magic Horns I made took two weeks, mixing the Ben Nye together took a week and a half, I'm learning to sew and style wigs for the rest of my costume, and it's not a complete costume without knowing the mentality of the character. I've put months of effort into who my character is, and it's sad to see that people can't accept that. That if you're dressed up as a certain character, you must be a bad person. You can't judge a book by its cover, that's really all there is to say.
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -SH

DangerHeart

I just wish people would get over it if they don't like it. I've had my fair share of annoyances from Naruto cosplayers and don't much care for the show or manga, but that doesn't mean it's stupid or that EVERYONE who cosplays from it is annoying. I just think if you don't like it, ignore it. Why let it keep bugging you in the first place? Just turn away and don't look at it if you really can't stand it.

It doesn't matter what fandom it is really. If it exists, someone is gonna hate on it. I'd rather focus my attention on things I like instead of complaining or being rude to people that might be very nice.

Valcust

Speaking from my experience, a friend of mine went along as a character from homestuck last year, and though I may not like the source material, I can truly respect and admire her drive for completing such a wonderful display of cosplay and wearing it proudly.
Truth be told, I'm going to be honest here, I don't consider myself a fan of most animes. There's nothing wrong with them, just not for me. Yet I attend fanime every year. Why? The cosplayers, of course~
One doesn't need to love, or, hell, even moderately ENJOY the source material to appreciate amazing and awesome cosplay. As long as a person enjoys something themselves enough to put time and effort into a piece, and as long as they're having FUN with it and allowing others to do the same, they deserve nothing other than praise and respect~ :3
Cosplays planned for 2014~:
Aimless Renegade~ 50%
Ja'Sajek the Khajiit~ 25%
Return of P-Body~ 75%

Angelx624

I don't hate Homestuck itself, I just dislike the more obnoxious/rude fans. I personally tried to get into it myself, but it's just not my cup of tea.

Also, it doesn't really bother me that there's cosplays/fandoms of other stuff besides anime at anime conventions. It was bound to happen, anyway. Then again I cosplay from other stuff besides anime and bring those cosplays to conventions whether it be an anime convention or a comic convention.
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

kokosatou

To be completely honest, I don't think Homestuck (or MLP, or anything of the like) has a place in Fanime. To start, it's an ANIME convention, and therefore should not be associated with the con in the first place. If possible, they should have their own seperate theme convention (like Clockwork Alchemy does for steampunk).

keitoghostie

It's been a while since I've been into Homestuck but I've seen the "let's give them their own convention" solution come up a few times and in my experience, that won't work. I know a number of Homestuck fans who will take any opportunity to cosplay from Homestuck so like, if it were a convention going on another weekend, it probably wouldn't have much of an impact at all. If it were going on simultaneously (like Clockwork Alchemy) I think numbers would be reduced but there would still be a LOT of spill over since Fanime is huge, has a lot of traffic, and has different events going on.

In reality, it's gonna die out. Maybe not entirely, but its fandom already seems to be dwindling (I'm saying this as an outside observer at this point, so I'm not 100% sure)

I get what you're saying (I've definitely felt the most fulfilled at Fanime when I've cosplayed from anime or participated in related events) but I don't think there's really a way to make it happen? Just my two cents.