Thoughts on my first Fanime.

Started by mookiebear, May 28, 2013, 06:34:17 PM

mookiebear

This was my first time ever attending Fanime. I basically went because it fell right on my birthday, and my best friend has been wanting to go to it for years....

My thoughts

1) The registration line. I know many have already mentioned this, but the fact that I spent over 7 hours waiting in line really wore me down. Remind you, I spent 2 hours before that getting my graduation diploma. I was really drained by the time I got home.

2) Everything seemed scattered.... The artist gallery was somewhere else, and overall, this is my friend's complaint. She feels like it was dull. She didn't really enjoy it at all. Construction just seemed to cause issues.

3) The gathering I wanted to attend to(for the animes InuYasha and Ranma 1/2 and etc) fell on my birthday. I could not attend and I was looking forward to it.

4) I was happy with people asking for my pictures. I had many people ask my pictures and each and every one I obliged to. No creepy photographers, but that might be because I cosplayed as Sesshomaru from InuYasha. Some yelled "SESSHOMARU!!" on the other side of the street, lol. Some people ended up glomping me without asking, but I wasn't really all that bothered by it. In all honesty, I enjoyed people saying I did good at cosplaying, even though I did not have the wig on.

Now, to get to the point.... Will fanime be worth attending to for 2014? I'd really like to give it another chance, but I'm worried on waiting 7 hours again just to pick up my badge, the construction, and overall activities to do there. Thoughts? 
]

thedoctorinblue

This was my second year and I can honestly say I didn't enjoy it as much as last year. The lines were awful. I am getting really sick of the cons organization when it comes to getting people their badges. I mean 4 fucking booths for getting a bag and then you have to get in line for your badge separately which wasn't by group it was just by alphabetical order. I mean last year there was a black out and I was still home earlier than this year. Other than that I think the con was great excluding the lack of traffic control in the hallway between the dealers hall and the gaming room. As much as I respect the fanime staff for everything they do and running a really fun con, they dropped the ball when it came to registration. I'm still torn on whether or not I will be returning next year, but in any case most of the con made up for the seven hours I waited in line.

Rhornez

ive been going to Fanime since 2008 and i can tell you this, they need to step it up. will it be fine next year? I have no idea. hopefully the construction adds more space and nothing gets scattered. I can also say, go to the smaller cons that are scattered around Norcal. aka Sac Anime Kintoki Con Kinyoobi Con to name a few.

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

PinkHairSasuke

From my personal experiences, I've enjoyed Fanime each year; some years more than others. For me, it really came down to the people I was with during the con and how I spent my time. To handle the line, try and have people you enjoy spending time with around you. The time flies that way, at least it did for my group. I personally would suggest that you attend again since it will be out of construction mode and you should have a more enjoyable experience.

MaigoLily

This was my second year as a Fanime attendee and first year as a cosplayer and gathering organizer.

I had a friend group register my ticket so that I could attend my sister's graduation, she waited Thursday after school for 6 hours. I waited 2 hours last year, so I know something was definitely up with the registration. I'm assuming not enough man power? I don't think people like the idea of having a "line con" before anything has even started. I was considering not buying a ticket because I spend the majority of my time outside, but I need to peace bond my props so I will continue buying the ticket despite the sky high prices. I really hope they consider offering exhibit hall only tickets like AX, but maybe one for full weekend, instead of one day for cosplayers who spend the majority of their time outside of the halls and not going to any panels or events.

I also agree about having all the locations spread out. I feel having everything in one area makes it feel more together, but the number of attendees has been shooting up every year and I don't think we will have enough space in a few years. Artist Alley and Hall 1 felt kind of...blank if that's the word? The dealer's hall on the other end, felt overcrowded. I'm sure things will go back to normal by next year, it just may be more crowded. The construction really took away from the experience, but hey! maybe next year will be better!

As for gatherings, many could not find my gathering due to the title being shortened, and the wrong information was given about the time to some people. I'm not really sure how that happened. Alot of the other programs had very little information which made me confused on where to find things.

I do enjoy the cosplay though. I tend to cosplay in groups so we get stopped for pictures very often, you also meet many people, many of whom become your friends. It's also nice when you meet photographers, videographers and other cosplayers who you can ask for tips on how to make cosplay or schedule photoshoots for next year. Also, it's very fun to have group cosplay. I would recommend you try it. I have never had anybody glomp me before except for my friends...

I would encourage you to return next year. If you want to see more programs you will have to buy a ticket, but you could see if there is anyone you know who is willing to group register your ticket for you and you can pick it up from them later. Or you can use the line exchange method. Where someone stands in line for a certain amount of time and the person who group registered comes later and takes over to actually pick up the tickets. That way everyone does wait in line, but for a shorter amount of time. Oh! That is assuming you are going full weekend.

Otherwise, if you are going only one day, which I assume you did, you can go in a group of 4 and have 2 people wait in line while 2 explore the outside of the con, then switch. Once you approach the front, call everyone back and register the tickets. I've never done this, but I did do something similar. I don't think it is against any rules and people in line shouldn't get annoyed, because you technically are still waiting. Fanime is really fun, I just think that this year wasn't one of the best years, so please do come back next year and maybe try out a method that cuts down the registration fiasco. I really hope you do consider it.

I think I talk too much haha...