Fan Vs Anime

Started by Tabbychan, May 29, 2013, 12:39:34 PM

Tabbychan

If this is the wrong forum section please let me know ^^

After seeing some of the threads lately I decided to see people's options.
I've been going to Fanime since 2006.. so I believe 7 years now. I have NEVER considered the convention solely an Anime convention due to the amount of super heros, cartoons, ect that I have seen year after year. I have always loved the amount of appreciation and acceptance Fanime has had in more aspects of general nerddom. Only in the last two years have I started hearing complaints about there being too much non-anime/non-Japanese related content at the con.

Now don't get me wrong, I happily join everyone in groaning about the too loud/obnoxious fandoms, but it's never bad enough to warrant hate on ALL outside games, cartoons, web comics, and other media that people bring cosplay or interest in.

I also found it odd how many people complained about having american voice actors join, or the odd rule against anything non-Asian influenced in the cosplay spectacular. I'm just curious where all the american hate came from when it comes to a Convention  "For the Fans, By the Fans".

I'm sorry if what I've been rambling on doesn't make sense, the point to this topic is:

Does having non-anime/japanese influence cosplay/Panels/Guests/skits really make a difference in your con experience at Fanime?

Note: I am not racists, nor do I mind the Asian influenced things at fanime. I love EVERYTHING nerd/geek/otaku, ect XD

Dracil

It's simple, if it's something related to something I consume, I'm interested in it.  If it's not, I'm not.  So I have absolutely 0 interest in English VAs since I never watch dubs, but at the same time, I also have 0 interest in Visual Kei, even though they're Japanese.  But I grew up with comics, and they're making a sort of resurgence in movies, so I enjoy seeing that type of cosplay as well, especially the really well-done ones, like the transformers a few years ago.

If Fanime somehow turns into a primarily Homestuck convention (as that seems to be the primary complaint this year, or anything else I don't read/watch/listen), then I'll lose interest in it, but like all fandoms, it'll be replaced soon enough by the new flavor of the year.  If I like that flavor, yay, if not, then *shrug*.

Lucifargundam

Quote from: Dracil on May 29, 2013, 12:50:10 PM
but like all fandoms, it'll be replaced soon enough by the new flavor of the year.
In previous years, people complained about the same thing but Bleach/Naruto...

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

Yuu- pon

Yep. And this year there about..15 people at the Bleach photoshoot, 4-6 Bleach cosplayers at the SJ shoot, a few more Naruto.   And sooo many One Piece cosplayers.

Since you asked for opinions. I suppose I can explain mine.

I started going to anime conventions waaaaay back before Anime was a part of nerd culture. Anime ( and some games) are really the only part of 'nerd culture' that I have ever liked

The way that women are portrayed in American comics/sci-fi  makes me very uncomfortable so I've always avoided t.  I've tried things like D&D but they all ended in really bad experiences for the above reason.  Since a lot of people who like video games also like all of the above Ii never really felt that I belonged in that group, so I didn't really have anyone to share my interest with.

Then this thing called an 'anime con' came along. Finally, a sanctuary for me. ( Sure, there is always Hentai but those fans basically stay in the hentai viewing rooms or follow the conskanks- didn't bother me.)

Then my anime sanctuary started to get mixed with all of those genres that I specifically went to anime cons to escape. It was just a few at first but now they're the majority.

I actually don't mind HS cosplayers being there so much as the rest because I realize that there is no 'Web Comic con'. Nowhere else for them to go.

What bothers me more are the Sci-Fi comic cosplayers. And only because they HAVE other places to go. I think there are actually more comic/Sci-Fi/Tv  conventions than anime cons. And if you try and cosplay anime at THEIR cons you will never hear the end of it.

To summarize " I do not invade your personal sanctuary, please show me the same consideration"