Fanime and getting older

Started by nemuneko, May 29, 2013, 01:27:41 PM

nemuneko

While I love anime, manga, and video games, I feel like over these past couple of years that I've gotten too old for anime conventions (I'm almost 30, by the way). This year's Fanime made me feel especially out of place with all the teenagers and people in their early 20s around. Some of these people (not everyone, but quite a few) have the maturity levels of 5-year-olds, also, which doesn't help.

I remember back in the day (the 90s, mainly) when these conventions were full of people (mainly men) in their 20s, 30s, and 40s. I was in the minority as a kid/teenage girl going to cons. Now it's mainly teenagers everywhere. I just can't relate to the fandom anymore. Times change, I know, and anime has become much more mainstream. But boy, do I feel old and out of place sometimes.

So how old is everyone out there? Any people in their late 20s or 30s (or older) still attending anime conventions? Has your enjoyment of cons diminished over the years? When do you think you'll stop attending?

Lucifargundam

There's pleanty of staff in their late 20s and early 30s.

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

Dracil

Almost 30?  You're not that old.  But I act like I'm 10 years younger.  Just find a group(s) of people with a good age variation you can go to con with and you won't feel out of place.

Dracil

Kecreed

I actually enjoy seeing the older fans. It makes me feel nostalgic. I'm still young (just turn 20 actually) but I enjoy much older anime. A bit like an anime hipster. XD At Swapmeet I loved hearing the complaints of older fans about a lack of Osamu Tezuka Merchandise (Astro Boy, Kimba, etc.) Made me feel more inspired and hopeful to look for more retro items for them. :) Best thing about having a different anime taste is not spending a lot of money at the more common popular anime. (Though at the same time it sucks to search for what I'm collecting now at most cons XD)

Just ignore the teenagers and chat with staff or head to the nostalgia room and research places you'd love to go beforehand. :)

nemuneko

Thanks guys for your responses so far.  :) I was just a bit curious how others felt about it.

Yeah, I realize a lot of staff are older. I'm not sure if I have the patience to be part of staff, but it's something I will consider next year (if I even attend, which I'm still debating after the whole pre-reg fiasco this year).

Inai

I'm in my late 20s and my fiance is turning 30 this year, and we felt similarly. Many times we felt very old but also found people in lines for panels and some staffers that were our age and had pleasant conversations. Our enjoyment hasn't diminished at all, but it has shifted in tastes. We like going to panels more than the video rooms, and we can no longer stay up way late but many things we like to do are early in the morning. When there's downtime, we would go into the gaming room and watch the tournaments. I've been wanting to staff for the past few years, but currently I'm in Santa Cruz and the time commitment for attending meetings, mandatory or optional, is not possible. Hopefully soon though!

SquallLHeart

i'm turning 30... and i think you can never be too young.. or too old for Fanime.

other cons on the other hand... perhaps.
Trung D. Nguyen
Fanime: Autographs Head '11 | Rovers '01-present | Gopher '99-'00
Anime Expo: AxCon '07-'2009
ComicCon: Vol '04-'05

staff/vol. for misc. conventions all around the nation... ranging from 30.. to 130K+ attendees...

otakuya

A lot of people have been growing up with anime (myself included), and have been going to Fanime and other conventions for a long time now. Anime itself hasn't changed, but people do. I'm not into anime much anymore, but I still respect the art and watch a few here and there. I love attending events, though.

Think about this.
Do you ever think that there will be events like speed dating, or proposals and marriages (and other public displays of affection) at old-school Fanime? (let's say 1998/1999-ish).

Yuu- pon

I will be thirty tomorrow. Cons really have changed a lot since I started attending about 12 years ago.

I guess that anime itself is quite different. There arent quite as many series I'm interested in so I mostly go there to hang out with friends that I don't see often and attend a couple shoots.

Oh, and to visit the area.  There are a lot of great stores that we don't have up here in WA. (  IN n' out, Yoshi Noya, Mi Pueblo, Mitsuwa ect.

kaizoku

I feel ya. I've never been to the dance/rave event so I decided to go this year...it felt like being a chaperone at a middle school dance. I hope they decide to split the ages for 18+ and 18- next year.

Yuu- pon

Quote from: kaizoku on May 29, 2013, 04:13:34 PM
I feel ya. I've never been to the dance/rave event so I decided to go this year...it felt like being a chaperone at a middle school dance. I hope they decide to split the ages for 18+ and 18- next year.

Ah, remember when the dances actually played anime OSTs? Those were the days.

kaizoku

Oh god, the music was terrible. It was some mix of top 40s crap mixed with EDM beats. I like top 40s, I like EDM, but together it sounded like a mess. The DJ was terrible and kept screwing up the tempo. First it's slow, then it's fast. I really hope they're not getting paid for this.

Quote from: Yuu- pon on May 29, 2013, 04:16:30 PM

Ah, member when the dances actually played anime OSTs? Those were the days.

Yuu- pon

Quote from: kaizoku on May 29, 2013, 04:23:41 PM
Oh god, the music was terrible. It was some mix of top 40s crap mixed with EDM beats. I like top 40s, I like EDM, but together it sounded like a mess. The DJ was terrible and kept screwing up the tempo. First it's slow, then it's fast. I really hope they're not getting paid for this.

Quote from: Yuu- pon on May 29, 2013, 04:16:30 PM

Ah, member when the dances actually played anime OSTs? Those were the days.

I've never known any Dj's at other cons to get payed, so hopefully not.

The addition of the rave I find somewhat contradictory. You always see people getting into a 'dance off' but Anime cons are supposed to be kind of a nerd sanctuary. One the biggest stereotypes about nerds is that they are not very athletic.

kaizoku

Being non-athletic is fine. The main issue was the age of these attendees.  :o
They could have easily separated both of the dance rooms for the age brackets.

Steve.Young

Working as staff gives you some perspective as to why some things are the way they are. I highly encourage you to do so at least a year and see what it is like and ask a lot of questions! Unless you work Rovers or Registration, you don't really have to worry about the pre-reg lines but I would also highly recommend you look into working these departments for an even better perspective into the process.

None of the staff are paid, none of the DJ's are paid, everyone who works for FanimeCon itself are all volunteers.

If you have any feedback or suggestions, please send them to us.

Feedback form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1WUsyOJkzz0qwypoNR5waear2tF119V60FExdi0G44Ig/viewform
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Yuu- pon

Quote from: kaizoku on May 29, 2013, 04:32:37 PM
Being non-athletic is fine. The main issue was the age of these attendees.  :o
They could have easily separated both of the dance rooms for the age brackets.

That is actually a very good idea. Maybe they will be able to when the construction is finished and they have more room.

What really disturbs me is at SC they have a baggage check ( for drugs) before the rave yet they INSIST on keeping it a Rave and then get really defensive and even get out infractions if you call it a 'rave'.

...God Sakuracon is awful. I'm so glad I have Fanime.

Yuu- pon

Quote from: Steve.Young on May 29, 2013, 04:41:47 PM
Working as staff gives you some perspective as to why some things are the way they are. I highly encourage you to do so at least a year and see what it is like and ask a lot of questions! Unless you work Rovers or Registration, you don't really have to worry about the pre-reg lines but I would also highly recommend you look into working these departments for an even better perspective into the process.

None of the staff are paid, none of the DJ's are paid, everyone who works for FanimeCon itself are all volunteers.

If you have any feedback or suggestions, please send them to us.

Feedback form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1WUsyOJkzz0qwypoNR5waear2tF119V60FExdi0G44Ig/viewform

I would really like to work on staff but  have too many health issues ( Bad knees. feet, back, ect) I tried to volunteer at another con  but by late the first night I was too sore to enjoy the rest of the con.

kaizoku

Hey Steve,

While most of the feedback I've given are personal (music/DJs), my main concern is the age limit. The reason for keeping 13-17 with 18+ is unclear to me, and an explanation would be greatly appreciated. While it is true there are certain reason for things, I'm confused as to why underage attendees are mixing with adults. It just seems like something bad waiting to happen...if it hasn't already.

Thanks!

Lucifargundam

Quote from: Yuu- pon on May 29, 2013, 05:06:07 PM
I would really like to work on staff but  have too many health issues ( Bad knees. feet, back, ect)
Fanime has volunteers in wheelchairs and using canes as well as not being able to stand for too long. I'm sure they can find something for you.

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.