Locking threads for the feedback form?

Started by Veit Loderr, May 29, 2013, 08:44:26 PM

eHash

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I believe directing people to the official feedback form is the correct thing to do.

Not all the Department heads read the forums, so when people feel as if the con is trying to avoid listening to their feedback
     it's the reverse.  The only way for heads to get the feedback for sure is if an official feedback form is implemented, comments
     tabulated by department and distributed. It also helps prevent individuals who voice their opinion from getting trolled by others
     who disagree (examples from the past: Dubstep at the Dance, Butler Cafe, Rovers, Etc.)

linefaced

I think the GoogleDoc is both a good and bad idea, mostly bad unless it's used in conjunction with a discussion thread.  Keeping track of several new threads is tough, but people are going to keep making them as long as existing threads are continually being locked and there's no centralized place where they can discuss their concerns with other people.  Who knows, maybe other congoers will be able to respond to their concerns, and it'll be one less form you guys have to deal with.

I also want to just point out that the "Ideas and Suggestions" thread is in a subforum where the header is titled, "Participate, Join, Create", which is pretty oxymoronic if no one can participate.

TruePoindexter

Quote from: eHash on May 30, 2013, 03:55:23 PMNot all the Department heads read the forums, so when people feel as if the con is trying to avoid listening to their feedback it's the reverse.

I don't think anyone expects them to read it all day but periodic checks should be expected by everyone involved.

DrScorpio

The issues are Fanime this year were so huge I cannot imagine the staff not already knowing most of the issues. If the upper staff live in such a bubble that they need a form to let them know of the mass failures at Fanime, there are major communication issues at Fanime.

I did fill out the form, but the whole point of a public forum is the interaction and sharing aspect. I went through hell to get my badge, I was curious how many others went through what I went through. Its possible my experience was fluke there was something I could have done to avoid it. Seeing the posts of others who went through the same thing I went through tells me the issue wasnt me, but the con.

le_momo

They created a Con Feedback thread, so everyone can still discuss everything, just in one thread instead of many different ones.. looks like they combined the locked threads to make this one, so it'll all be in the same place. :)

http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,18540.100.html
2017-2024 Extravaganzas Head
2013-2024 Black & White Ball Head
2010-2012 Black & White Ball Instructor/Staff/Second
FanimeCon attendee since 2005

Veit Loderr

The complaint is not about whether the feedback form was a good idea or not, it's whether locking the threads was a good idea or not. I think what they were thinking was that if people couldn't post to the thread anymore, then they will submit the feedback form, but maybe it upset more people and caused the opposite (people going off-site to other forums to post their complaints)? It would have been fine to post the link to the feedback form and ask for the people to use it, but to lock the thread was unnecessary, not "wrong" per se, just unnecessary. Now we have the issue where more threads have been created regarding the action taken than with the complaints that were being expressed. Now the complaints are no longer of the issues with the event and are becoming more about how the complaints are being handled. The feedback form does not feel like it's being directed to someone, even though it is. As I said in the beginning, it feels like talking to a brick wall. You're writing down your words and sending them off and there is no response. You can't check in on it, like you can with a thread. You don't know if anyone actually read it, like you can find out with a thread. In this age of people wanting an answer or a solution instantly, leaving a thread open and posting the form is good enough. It lets us know that someone is actually reading the posts. That's a great first step for many people. It helps to put aside any feelings of disassociation between the staff and the attendees. It's that truthful knowledge that, yes the issues are being read and they will be addressed compared to just writing your thoughts down and hoping for the best. Again, locking the threads was taking it too far. The form is good and useful and should be encouraged if it truly makes their jobs easier, but not at the expense of the voices of the community.

ewu

The feedback should be posted, but MPLe is a busy man. I will see how I can help and how we can get other staff on getting the info up for transparency.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom