Fanime or SacAnime?

Started by Gabbyeva54, June 03, 2013, 05:04:33 PM

Gabbyeva54

Hi guys, I hope everyone has had a nice recovery time from Fanime. :33 What do people prefer more, SacAnime or Fanime? I just recently attended my first year at Fanime and met a number of new people and I asked them all the same thing. Which convention is better? I got a number of results. I thought Fanime was really awesome meeting new people,and just having a blast, but is SacAnime even worth my time? I know a couple favorite voice actors are going to be there, and is it even worth my two hour drive to get there?.. Thanks everyone for their time!
~Bow ties are cool~

Amanojaku

Living up here in Chico, Sac Anime would definitely be more convenient for me. However, the con really doesn't have the same vibe as fanime...  it seems to be less about anime each time, from the events to the cosplay less so than Fanime, and they have more US media guests and less Japanese guests.  I go for a day from time to time but I'd never spend all 4 days like I do each year for Fanime.
FanimeCon attended: 17 times
1999 - 2001
2006 - 2019
2022 -
https://myanimelist.net/profile/MrAmanojaku
https://www.last.fm/user/Mramanojaku

phr34kish

SacAnime is a much smaller convention, so comparing the two is almost like comparing a grape to an orange. It HAS been steadily growing (they expanded into the Sacramento Convention Center -Finally!!- ), but the number of events and attractions are very limited in comparison to a convention of Fanime's size. SacAnime is also only 3 days long, as opposed to Fanime's 4. It is true that they usually have more "American" Guests of Honor on their lists than Fanime does - and part of me wonders if that is circumstance due to budget being a smaller convention, or if that's actually what the fans want. For example, they have Troy Baker attending this year, the English VO for Vincent in Catherine/Kanji in Persona 4.

Best answer would probably be to check out SacAnime for yourself, and see which you prefer. ;)

Amanojaku

Quote from: phr34kish on June 04, 2013, 08:42:53 AM
For example, they have Troy Baker attending this year, the English VO for Vincent in Catherine/Kanji in Persona 4.

Oh yeah?  I wouldn't have minded seeing that guy, actually, he did a good job.

I hope I didn't sound too down on Sac Anime; I do like it, it just isn't something I bother with every year.  There is definitely a place for smaller cons, and one nice thing is that Sac Anime is what, twice a year?  So you can pick when it works best for you.
FanimeCon attended: 17 times
1999 - 2001
2006 - 2019
2022 -
https://myanimelist.net/profile/MrAmanojaku
https://www.last.fm/user/Mramanojaku

VicksMagnolia

Its a nice little convention, and I live in the Sacramento area so its never a problem to just take a day trip down there, which is really what its best suited for.

If you can, I would suggest going for a day(Or two if it suits your fancy) because while its certainly no Fanimecon, its good to tide yourself over until the next big con.

hikanteki

SacAnime is smaller than Fanime but in a couple of years it could be the same size or even bigger.  They estimated it at over 10,000 this winter and it's seen steady, well-managed growth.  Even from 2010-2012 I've noticed it getting a lot bigger.

This summer SacAnime has more guests confirmed than Fanime.  I agree that it's much more US-media focused than Fanime, but dubbing anime has made a lot of American fans, and if their resources and/or fans are better suited towards a US-centric guestlist then I think it's smart of them to make a name for their convention on that.  Many of this season's guests are fairly prolific (i.e. Nolan North, J. Michael Tatum.)  And, who wouldn't love the cast of the Power Rangers Samurai? ;)  I think it's good that both of them seem to have a different focus.

In fact I think they didn't have any Japanese guests until this winter...and both of them (Tsuyoshi Nonaka and Mai Aizawa) were ripped off of Fanime. :-\  That annoyed me, as Sac is Northern California's leading US-centric anime con.  If they want to add variety then that's cool, but booking the same guests at a nearby con, especially if they're the focus of that con but not of your con...not cool.  Although Tsuyoshi Nonaka is US-based now too, so maybe it was easier/cheaper to book him.  Not really sure what the point was of getting Mai Aizawa immediately after her appearance at Fanime.  Then again, her appearance at Fanime was kind of pointless too because she sang like what...one song?

animeangelfish

Personally after seeing the guest lists and the massive lines I may lean towards Sac-Anime myself!

Cosplay 2013: Fem!Reno, River Song (Melody Malone), Hipster!Ariel
Attendee since 2005

djmonolith

I was going to skip SacAnime and plan for Japan Expo... but perhaps I will squeeze in one day.  Driving from San Jose in costume doesn't sound that appealing however.
This is my signature.

Biblio

It's hard to say which is "better" since it's very subjective. A lot of it comes down to personal taste in terms of content. And with Fanime being so much larger at this point, it just offers "more" in certain aspects. Does more content and variety make an event "better", though? That's something you have to decide yourself since we don't know you personally or know your preferences.

I attended SacAnime for the first time this past winter after hearing many (sometimes negative) comparisons with Fanime. And I LOVED it! I checked out the Opening Ceremonies, Masquerade, a couple of panels, video room, AA/Dealer's, gaming and Cafe Hoshi (their maid/butler cafe). My friends who also went to their Karaoke and Dance also liked those too.

Yes, it's smaller and everything was on a smaller scale, but for us it was still enjoyable. And it was very well organized. I commented on it even before Fanime this year how well-organized SacAnime was for an event.

It was the first year they were at the convention center. And you can tell sometimes that they weren't as familiar with the venue, but what was impressive was how quickly staff reacted to unforeseen situations. When lines started running longer than allowed space, they immediately snaked it around and moved people. (Staff were noticeably monitoring the lines) When people commented about need for a sign to help locate something......hours later, big signs were  up. When you asked staff questions, they were all giving out the same answers. It wasn't perfect, but it was definitely well-run. My friends and were debating if they use "paid" staff and maybe that's why. But if they do, it sure paid off logistically.

Oh, and they paid to utilize the Guidebook app which was super convenient!

And yes, it's a 2 hour drive for me too, but I'm looking forward to attending again this winter. The "content" of the con you can see on their web site. And as most people pointed out, remember it's on a smaller scale with less cosplayers, etc. than Fanime. But I'd recommend people trying it at least once. I'm glad I did.

hikanteki

Quote from: Biblio on June 04, 2013, 10:19:32 PM
Yes, it's smaller and everything was on a smaller scale, but for us it was still enjoyable. And it was very well organized. I commented on it even before Fanime this year how well-organized SacAnime was for an event.

Yes, I'll second this.  I went to their last one at the Woodlake Hotel, and they had WAY more people than the hotel could handle--but they kept everything under control and it never felt like a mess.  Smaller cons are usually easier to organize, but SacAnime is probably among the best organized of any con I've been to, large or small.

kevinc

Quote from: hikanteki on June 04, 2013, 11:45:22 PM
Quote from: Biblio on June 04, 2013, 10:19:32 PM

Yes, I'll second this.  I went to their last one at the Woodlake Hotel, and they had WAY more people than the hotel could handle--but they kept everything under control and it never felt like a mess.  Smaller cons are usually easier to organize, but SacAnime is probably among the best organized of any con I've been to, large or small.

Well, they moved to the Sacramento Convention Center, which should provide more room than before.

I am also thinking of going there for summer. I missed the winter run because I had conflicts with the days.

Luckily, I was able to find some videos from the local news stations there that were doing a segment about the convention (this is the winter 2013 convention, so you can get a general estimate on how the convention is before deciding)
Note: First and second video links looks like it was transmitted in the morning on a Friday, if you wanted to know. Also, hey that mobile suit is there...

A couple of tips for the those who are going, the area nearby has a couple of one way streets, a GPS is handy there; also, a lot of commuters are around the area (people working for large businesses or government), so expect Friday to be more congested (especially on a Friday afternoon on interstate or business 80)

djmonolith

Quote from: kevinc on June 05, 2013, 05:57:58 PM

Luckily, I was able to find some videos from the local news stations there that were doing a segment about the convention (this is the winter 2013 convention, so you can get a general estimate on how the convention is before deciding)

Thanks for the post and links!  It looks very small... for those who were at the Sac Convention Center... how does it compare to Fanime in size?  1/3 the dealers, artists, cosplayers, etc.???
This is my signature.

hikanteki

Quote from: djmonolith on June 05, 2013, 10:34:32 PM
Quote from: kevinc on June 05, 2013, 05:57:58 PM

Thanks for the post and links!  It looks very small... for those who were at the Sac Convention Center... how does it compare to Fanime in size?  1/3 the dealers, artists, cosplayers, etc.???

Attendance is about half, but my experience has seen a much higher percentage of people with good cosplay & cosplay in general at SacAnime.

Not sure about Artist Alley.  Sac has 2/3 the dealers, but don't take my word for it:

Sac List: http://www.sacconventions.com/?page_id=4961
Fanime List: http://2013.fanime.com/dealers-hall-map

djmonolith

This is my signature.

nooblet

I attended the recent winter SacAnime with my friends. It was our first time there, and we all had a great time.

The area around the convention center is good, not as great as it is around San Jose's convention center (imo. also my first time at Fanime this year). There's a lot more to go to and wander around in Fanime's area.

I can recall 2 Japanese guests on the top of my head- Mai Aizawa and... uh, I don't remember, but it was a guy. I think there were 2 other Japanese guests. The other guests were (to my knowledge) American voice actors.

It was SacAnime's first time in the Sac convention center, but I still believe it could use more room. There were panels also being held at the Sheraton. Sheraton is closeby, so there is no hassle in walking. well, the street corners do get crowded when waiting to walk across the street; it's not as spacious as waiting near Fanime's area.

I recall reading something that they will be using the 2nd floor of the convention center this summer and maybe beyond (it was not used for SacAnime in the winter), and I think that will be better in terms of wandering around. I could kinda tell that a few of my friends thought it was repetitive walking from one end of the center to the other when they didn't know where to go (though I blame them for being bored, lol. There are panels and events going on for a reason).

Waiting time for our badges Friday morning was less than 5 minutes, but maybe that's to be expected because SacAnime is the smallest of the two. I don't know if Fanime's lines are as crazy as it was this year, as I don't have prior experience with Fanime's registration lines.

It's kinda hard to pick between the two, especially because it's my first time going to both this year. Though I love the English VAs, I liked how there were many different events going on (and viewing rooms open all night). I didn't stick around Saturday night to listen to the bands, but I enjoyed MusicFest this year.

Maskenlav

Sac-anime is good for a starter con, to get familiar with the whole cosplaying and badge ordering system. Once you attend smaller cons for a while then you go in for the big fishes I.E. fanime, AX, and many other Cali ones I cant name off my head. I really love both cons because sac-anime is where I popped my cosplay/convention cherry lol and will always be my second favorite to fanime and Ax of course blows the charts off with their usualness =P I ALWAYS visit both cons since sac-anime is 3 months after fanime

Pros- Efficient, operated smoothly, lines honestly NEVER backup like it does here, staff are ontop and are never "too busy for you", are super knowledgeable of their routines and convention. Attenders there are more family friendly and accept meeting others without regards or bias. They are more of the "classic" anime lovers I.E. glomping and chasing down "hot" Sebastians or Clouds lol

Cons- Nothing. Its absolutely legitimate the way its run because you cannot blame nor put negativity on them for their size and "fresh" face on the con block. Fanime's been around since the 90's so we ALL know it off our heads, as sac-anime is kind of new (started in 2006 I believe?) so not knowing about it or it not meeting our fanime styled expectations is not their fault nor is it an admissible negativity on them.
"I'll do it! I'll marry you!"

DangerHeart

I've been to 4 fanimes in a row and this year I went to my first sacanime. I'll definitely say it was worth it. Sure the events weren't as big and some things like the maid cafe and starlight ball were ticketed events(Didn't go) but the crowds were smaller, the people were still fun and there was still plenty to do over the weekend. I'll be going back for the winter con and really can't wait. It really helps the post con depression I usually get XD I usually only go to fanime so having smaller cons in between the year time gap is really awesome.

echoshadow

Same here, this was my first time going to Sacanime. It was small but that was to be expected. I only went two days, but that was enough for me.

Honestly I only went because they had a fromal dance. But it turned out you had to pay $6 to get in, so I did. It was horrable. At lest the turn out was nice, but the music and sound was just awful.

The dealers hall and artist ally was a bit small, but ok to spend a few hours looking at stuff.

Attendee and crowds, well it was a very young crowd. Half the time I really felt out of place. Frist time I felt that in an anime con.  I ordered a beer along with my lunch at the hotel bar and I felt like every one was shocked I was drinking a beer.

Two things that really ticked me off was 1. The dam wristbands you had to keep on the whole weekend. Wearing it all day, showering and sleeping with it was stupid. 2. No credit card machines to pay at registration. It's mind boggling this day and age they didn't have one there.

Over all I would not be returing to Sacanime.  It offers soo little for such a long drive. Maybe if I was younger and lived closer I may go again, or if ever their Starlight ball becomes like a mini version of Fanime's B&W ball, but till then no more.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

Lucifargundam

I just got done being told by a deal that (not necessarily 'sacanime' but a con nonetheless) occurs at the SacCon every couple of months. If I had a good paying job, I would go to SacAanime. But since I can't afford going every single time, I'll stick to Fanime only- with sacani as a side dish.

This anime-only dealer told me that even though SacAnime had good/dependable turnouts- it wasn't as good as Fanime-(extra economoical comments extracted). Though he wished that it was easier being a dealer at Fanime in competition to wholesalers.

I haven't been to Sac-con yet, but I will asap. I go to Fanime every year. At least if you go to Fanime, you'll get to meet me n my crew :P

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

Ponyflare

Quote from: echoshadow on September 23, 2013, 12:58:19 AM

Two things that really ticked me off was 1. The dam wristbands you had to keep on the whole weekend. Wearing it all day, showering and sleeping with it was stupid. 2. No credit card machines to pay at registration. It's mind boggling this day and age they didn't have one there.

1. Standard at many cons for door registration. Some cons make actual badges for pre-registered people, but given the numbers at these events, it's cheaper and even easier to just get wrist bands. Also generally faster to keep stocked up.
2. Speed and cost. Renting credit card machines costs money. And there's plenty of room for technical difficulties which would slow down an already lengthy process. Getting volunteers trained on how to use them properly is also an issue. (Sure, it may be easy, but you do have to make sure everyone is familiar with the process before they start taking money.) Cash is just a whole lot simpler to deal with from an organizer's perspective. On that: It's always good to get cash ahead of time (and keep it split in separate places, just in case), since nearby cash machines tend to drain fast.