Question about video use in Cosplay Specatcular

Started by Chasing Shadows, July 21, 2013, 08:49:29 PM

Chasing Shadows

Hey Guys,

I was considering entering the masquerade in 2014 with a skit that utilizes a video in the background. But I can't seem to find anything on youtube with a group actually using a video. Has anyone done it? How does it work out? Is there a video I can watch so I can get a better idea?

Thanks for the help!!
Fanime Cosplay Plans
Holo | Spice and Wolf
Filthy Casual

TruePoindexter

Quote from: Chasing Shadows on July 21, 2013, 08:49:29 PM
Hey Guys,

I was considering entering the masquerade in 2014 with a skit that utilizes a video in the background. But I can't seem to find anything on youtube with a group actually using a video. Has anyone done it? How does it work out? Is there a video I can watch so I can get a better idea?

Thanks for the help!!

Assuming it's in the same theater as last year the screen was above and to the side of the stage. Last year was riddled with technical difficulties with only a couple of performances successfully making use of the screen so personally I would avoid it.

UsakoMinako

Yes, there were very few who used the video. Many years ago one girl used it for her background. A few years or a year later one group used it tactfully with their skit. The video rules were that your soundtrack would have to be in your video and could not be separate. Unless we get someone with experience in having video done as part of the masq programming, I would not advise it. However I would really like to use that feature this year as well.

PrincessSquib

There have been some very successful skits that have used videos. One from last year, or it might have been a few years ago, a pink Gundam fighter used a video as it posed. When watching the youtube videos online, the filmmakers usually focus on the audio and the characters on stage. The screens where the videos would be shown are above the stage, so they don't film it.

I wouldn't rely heavily on the tech people to time the intro and exit of the video. They won't switch back and forth from the video to the stage often, so I would suggest finding a video, and either have it play while you have your skit going on, or play it, then have your skit. The time limit is usualy only 2 minutes and 30 seconds though, so time accordingly.

Princess Squib Cosplay
-A.K.A. Sailor Venus from Sailor Moon Burlesque Group
Princess Squib Cosplay
Cosplays That I'll Be Making For Fanime 2018:
-Neo Queen Serenity
-Shaina from Saint Seiya
-Pink Diamond & Jasper
-Rainbow Quartz

CielloRegalo

Quote from: PrincessSquib on March 10, 2014, 12:38:41 PM
There have been some very successful skits that have used videos. One from last year, or it might have been a few years ago, a pink Gundam fighter used a video as it posed. When watching the youtube videos online, the filmmakers usually focus on the audio and the characters on stage. The screens where the videos would be shown are above the stage, so they don't film it.

I wouldn't rely heavily on the tech people to time the intro and exit of the video. They won't switch back and forth from the video to the stage often, so I would suggest finding a video, and either have it play while you have your skit going on, or play it, then have your skit. The time limit is usualy only 2 minutes and 30 seconds though, so time accordingly.

Princess Squib Cosplay
You seem really knowledgeable! I hope you or someone else can help me out. I've never done a skit despite being to a lot of conventions. On this video topic during a skit you said the time allotted is about 2:30. So is that the total time of the skit or the time allowed for a video followed by a skit? (potentially!) I would like to use a short video clip as an intro to my skit so I am wondering how I should manage the time of both video and skit. Thanks to all for any feedback, I look forward to seeing you there!
- Ciello

PrincessSquib

The TOTAL time is 2:30. This does not include a 30 second set up and set down before and after the performance. This ensures that the Cosplay spectacular isn't too long, though on occasion an exception is made. But to answer your question, I believe its 2:30 total. I would suggest finding a clip, or editing one to around a minute or so, and save the rest of the time to show off your costume or performance.

Princess Squib Cosplay

Princess Squib Cosplay
-Neo Queen Serenity
-Shaina from Saint Seiya
-Pink Diamond & Jasper
-Rainbow Quartz

UsakoMinako

Yeah - 30 seconds to set yourself up, 2:30 Max for all skit and its content. They will cut you at 2:30 if your music keeps running passed the time limit. I would pay $200 to go back to 3 minutes. Cutting that 30 seconds has been terrible for skit building for us.

Erik_anderson

QuoteYeah - 30 seconds to set yourself up, 2:30 Max for all skit and its content. They will cut you at 2:30 if your music keeps running passed the time limit. I would pay $200 to go back to 3 minutes. Cutting that 30 seconds has been terrible for skit building for us

Hi UsakoMinako,

The change was done to because some act were running far to long for the content they had.  Like all rules, exceptions can be made.  If you come to the Masquerade office in the Marriott's Willow Glen I ballroom and run through your act.  If your longer presentation is compelling I will happily make the exception.

Like most of the rules, they are a compromise between the logistics of running the show, the entertainment of the audience and being fair to the rest of the contestants.
~----------------------------------------------------------------------------~
An evil so refined that it knows which fork to use... but chooses not to.

PrincessSquib

So, if we wish to run a little longer, we should run it by you? How much longer would you allow?

Princess Squib Cosplay
Princess Squib Cosplay
-Neo Queen Serenity
-Shaina from Saint Seiya
-Pink Diamond & Jasper
-Rainbow Quartz

Erik_anderson

QuoteSo, if we wish to run a little longer, we should run it by you? How much longer would you allow?

Like most things its a judgement call, however I really can't see running a skit running much longer then 4 minutes, regardless of how good it is because it will back up the competition.  I would advise that if your crew has a skit that is considerably longer then this, to perhaps send in a application to be part of the half time show for FanimeCon 2015.

Erik_anderson

Quote from: Chasing Shadows on July 21, 2013, 08:49:29 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the help!!

Just catching up on this.  Do you want to have a back projected screen directly behind you or your group on the stage?

I have been considering adding this as we have 49' 9" x 30' opening, this may be a tricky issues.

PrincessSquib

Princess Squib Cosplay
-Neo Queen Serenity
-Shaina from Saint Seiya
-Pink Diamond & Jasper
-Rainbow Quartz