Where Do You Eat at FanimeCon?

Started by JohnnyAR, July 27, 2013, 12:05:03 PM

otakuya

The San Jose Taco Festival is on Fanime Saturday again this year, too.

sjtaco.com

sjamison1427

Normally I just walk around and see what calls out to me. I love trying different things at local restaurants, and I also love grubbing down at fast food places.

Otakuya, there is a taco festival? I am legitimately excited!  ;D

Fanime 2014 Cosplays
========================
Watson - Sherlock Holmes
Ichigo  - Bleach
Zorro [lost a bet!]

thepsynergist

Quote from: Otakuya on April 05, 2014, 12:49:02 AM
The San Jose Taco Festival is on Fanime Saturday again this year, too.

sjtaco.com
Can you buy your ticket on site?  Or do you have to pre-register for the event?

SpiritOfKairi

I've heard there's a place called Quicklys a few blocks down from the center that does inexpensive bento and boba teas.  Does anyone have experience going there?  How was it?  I looked it up on Yelp, and the reviews looked mixed at best, but I want to double check before writing it off.

In years past I've gone to the Subway a block or two away from the Fairmont to get something relatively healthy during the weekend.  If you're in the mood for a sweet treat, though, there's a bakery on the bottom of the the hotel that is supposed to be amazing =).  I'm keen on giving it a try this year.

Xanreo

Quote from: SpiritOfKairi on April 07, 2014, 08:39:55 AM
I've heard there's a place called Quicklys a few blocks down from the center that does inexpensive bento and boba teas.  Does anyone have experience going there?  How was it?  I looked it up on Yelp, and the reviews looked mixed at best, but I want to double check before writing it off.

Quicklys across from SJSU is an asian fast food place.
If you want something well-prepared and healthy, I'd say go somewhere else.
If you want a quick but filling snack then this'll do.
I just go for the drinks.

They have happy hour in the evenings with buy one get one free milk teas so it gets pretty crowded later in the day.
As for service, it's what you would expect from any FroYo/TapEx-like extablishment.

Fanime 2017
Eromanga-Sensei | Digimon World: Next Order

Mi Feng

I remember surviving off of Pita Pit and Subway last year. I usually make it a point to go to Psycho Doughnuts and Philz some mornings. Also Pizza My Heart. <3

But if I want a nicer dinner I usually go to Gordon Biersch or Original Joe's.

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: Xanreo on April 07, 2014, 03:02:07 PM
Quote from: SpiritOfKairi on April 07, 2014, 08:39:55 AM

Quicklys across from SJSU is an asian fast food place.
If you want something well-prepared and healthy, I'd say go somewhere else.
If you want a quick but filling snack then this'll do.
I just go for the drinks.

They have happy hour in the evenings with buy one get one free milk teas so it gets pretty crowded later in the day.
As for service, it's what you would expect from any FroYo/TapEx-like extablishment.

Thanks!  I might make a trip over there or Hydration, then, since milk tea is awesome, and their fairly close to the CC =).  Do you happen to know when specifically Quicklys happy hour is?  Unfortunately their website doesn't say, and nether do the Yelp comments.

Avairrianna

And don't forget about taking the deals off of websites like Groupon! I already have 3 meals paid for that weekend around the convention center ^^ Great way to A) Try new places that you've maybe never been before, B) Pay for food before you even get there!, and C) Get them at discounts anyways!

I've already got the Asian fusion place behind the Fairmont, the crazy hot dog place, and an Irish restaurant under my belt! (Just a word of warning, If Psycho Donuts puts out a coupon they will not honor it on Fanime weekend. This happened last year but since we were from out of town they hooked us up!)
Cosplays in work:
?

Gatherings in charge of in 2017:
Steven Universe

Xanreo

Quote from: SpiritOfKairi on April 08, 2014, 08:06:35 AM
Thanks!  I might make a trip over there or Hydration, then, since milk tea is awesome, and their fairly close to the CC =).  Do you happen to know when specifically Quicklys happy hour is?  Unfortunately their website doesn't say, and nether do the Yelp comments.

Happy Hour is after 5PM.
As for personal taste: I highly prefer Quickly's milk tea over Hydration's.

Fanime 2017
Eromanga-Sensei | Digimon World: Next Order

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: Xanreo on April 09, 2014, 12:41:55 AM
Quote from: SpiritOfKairi on April 08, 2014, 08:06:35 AM

Happy Hour is after 5PM.
As for personal taste: I highly prefer Quickly's milk tea over Hydration's.

Awesome, thanks!  And actually, I just looked on Yelp again for kicks, and a new comment said that along with happy hour after 5 on weekdays, on weekends they have it all day.  If that's true, it's great for the convention =).  I'll have to make sure to have some cash on me, though, since apparently they don't take cards.  (Shame too, since I get 2% cash-back at restaurants with mine.  I know it's pennies, but still lol.)

melancholyfox

My first year of Fanime I was very poor and I got a hotel five miles away from the con for $150 for the whole weekend, I found free parking every day that was less than half a mile from the con, and I ate McDonald's for every meal all weekend and skipped breakfast. My spending money for the whole weekend was $35. I bought food and a small arpakasso plush. I highly regretted only eating McDonald's but I did what I had to do.

My second year, I shared a room with someone who paid for the room completely at the St. Claire, so I had more money to spend. I had room service for breakfast for one day only because it was so expensive and the rest of the days I had no breakfast. I ate from some food carts nearby on some days, like the hot dog carts and such, Subway, and I brought some food to put in the hotel fridge like sodas and stuff to make our own food. I lived off of Cheez Its half the time.

This year I am much, much better off financially and have $1200 saved for the whole weekend so I plan to mix up my meals by eating and the various establishments surrounding the con such as Pho69, Original Joe's, Morton's, Arcadia, etc.

melancholyfox

Quote from: Avairrianna on April 08, 2014, 04:40:30 PM
And don't forget about taking the deals off of websites like Groupon! I already have 3 meals paid for that weekend around the convention center ^^ Great way to A) Try new places that you've maybe never been before, B) Pay for food before you even get there!, and C) Get them at discounts anyways!

I've already got the Asian fusion place behind the Fairmont, the crazy hot dog place, and an Irish restaurant under my belt! (Just a word of warning, If Psycho Donuts puts out a coupon they will not honor it on Fanime weekend. This happened last year but since we were from out of town they hooked us up!)

WOW that'sa really good idea, I completely neglected Groupon! THANKS FOR REMINDING ME!  :D

Avairrianna

Quote from: melancholyfox on April 11, 2014, 09:52:06 AM
Quote from: Avairrianna on April 08, 2014, 04:40:30 PM

WOW that'sa really good idea, I completely neglected Groupon! THANKS FOR REMINDING ME!  :D

^_^
Cosplays in work:
?

Gatherings in charge of in 2017:
Steven Universe

Imperial

I'm going to be that guy that brings steak and tri-tip for my electric grill and cook it there in my room. but personally, I got last year the 7 treasures from 7 treasures, and made it last for a good chunk of it.

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: tjimmy2 on April 15, 2014, 01:35:07 AM
I'm going to be that guy that brings steak and tri-tip for my electric grill and cook it there in my room. but personally, I got last year the 7 treasures from 7 treasures, and made it last for a good chunk of it.

Haha, nice!  I've heard of people bringing electric rice cookers and oatmeal, but nothing quite on that level before.  Just curious though, what do you mean by "the 7 treasures from 7 treasures"?  I've never heard of that before.

le_momo

Wow.. no one's mentioned The Blue Chip yet? Their cheesesteak sandwiches are a little bit pricey (all around $10), but they're so good! Their salads, pastas and nachos can be eaten over two meals easily. It's a couple blocks away, but everyone in my room and some of my fellow staffers make it a tradition to go there at least once during the convention.

That and 4th Street Pizza Co. are my yearly traditions. They're farther away, but oh, so worth it.
2017-2024 Extravaganzas Head
2013-2024 Black & White Ball Head
2010-2012 Black & White Ball Instructor/Staff/Second
FanimeCon attendee since 2005

Imperial

Quote from: SpiritOfKairi on April 15, 2014, 03:32:20 PM

Haha, nice!  I've heard of people bringing electric rice cookers and oatmeal, but nothing quite on that level before.  Just curious though, what do you mean by "the 7 treasures from 7 treasures"?  I've never heard of that before.
its a chinese shop on the same strip as johnny rockets, and its the 1 of everything order they traditionally have on ready there for little over 9 bucks. you get a lot of bang for your buck for good quality food.

Tsu

Quote from: tjimmy2 on April 15, 2014, 10:58:19 PM
Quote from: SpiritOfKairi on April 15, 2014, 03:32:20 PM

its a chinese shop on the same strip as johnny rockets, and its the 1 of everything order they traditionally have on ready there for little over 9 bucks. you get a lot of bang for your buck for good quality food.

Is the place actually called "7 Treasures"? I couldn't find it on yelp or google.
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019

belligerent

Quotetri-tip

I'd barricade the door just in case random people show up at your hotel with knives and forks.

keitoghostie

also speaking of cheesesteak... a couple years ago i went to the cheesesteak shop (that's its full name) and they gave everyone in our group free soft drinks and i think a 10% discount because we had fanime badges! it was very nice!