"Traps", Crossplay, and Trans* con culture

Started by Dagger-6, September 18, 2013, 06:48:04 PM

Dagger-6

Doing some research for a potential panel and wanted to get some people's feedback and experiences.

What do you think of the term "Trap"?  Is it good, bad, a harmless leftover of con culture?

Does terminology such as "trap" and other things such as the prevalence of crossplay affect the experience of transgender congoers for better, worse, or just make it different and how?

If it has an affect, how does it differ between FTM/DFAB, MTF/DMAB, and genderqueer identities?

If you are trans* or genderqueer, how has the atmosphere at anime cons affected you over the years?

Also if you have any writings/studies/etc. on the issue I'd love to read them.

Imperial

What do you think of the term "Trap"?  Is it good, bad, a harmless leftover of con culture?

To me, Its just a term used on misconception of a gender of a character. I.E. Bridget from Guilty gear is MALE, however looks like an innocent nun. or it might be an age matter, IE a cosplayer looks 18, is 38 in actuality To me, Its harmless.

Does terminology such as "trap" and other things such as the prevalence of crossplay affect the experience of transgender congoers for better, worse, or just make it different and how?

Well, It could be bad as you are so convincing that you are the opposite gender that you keep on getting hit on by people of the gender you are not attracted to, But I am no expert on the matter of this, so tbh I don't  know.

I dont think the term "trap" originated from cons, rather on the internet, http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/gender-confusion--2 might be the trick.

Dagger-6

Thank you for the commentary.  :)

Has anyone else regularly heard the term 'trap' as a slang substitute for 'jailbait'?  Out of curiosity.

I believe you are correct about the origins on the internet, specifically with Admiral Ackbar saying "It's a trap".

Anecdotal speaking I mostly see it used at anime conventions, somewhat at gaming conventions, and less so at comic conventions.

Would be interesting to see how prevalent it is across the spectrum though.

What I'm particularly interested in how this terminology affects the trans* MTF experience at cons.

echoshadow

Quote from: Dagger-6 on September 18, 2013, 06:48:04 PM
Doing some research for a potential panel and wanted to get some people's feedback and experiences.

If it has an affect, how does it differ between FTM/DFAB, MTF/DMAB, and genderqueer identities?

If you are trans* or genderqueer, how has the atmosphere at anime cons affected you over the years?

To me the word "trap" comes from the internet in form of a joke where a male dresses up as a female in order to attract other males for romantic purposes. But in real life I would not call any crossdress/crossplayer a trap, that would be making fun if them. Unless that was part of a joke.

In all my years of going to various cons I never heard the term "trap" to describe some with out it being a joke. I also have never seen any one purposely trying to be a trap either. Unless it was part of a joke.

My old room mates are crossplayers and they don't think of themselves as traps. They don't do it on order to fool anyone. As they told me they do it for the challenge and there is 10x more selections to cosplay than male cosplays.

As for its affects on transgender people, I honestly don't know. In the world of cosplay it really does not matter.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

Dagger-6

Quote from: echoshadow on September 19, 2013, 04:26:03 AM
Quote from: Dagger-6 on September 18, 2013, 06:48:04 PM

To me the word "trap" comes from the internet in form of a joke where a male dresses up as a female in order to attract other males for romantic purposes. But in real life I would not call any crossdress/crossplayer a trap, that would be making fun if them. Unless that was part of a joke.

In all my years of going to various cons I never heard the term "trap" to describe some with out it being a joke. I also have never seen any one purposely trying to be a trap either. Unless it was part of a joke.

My old room mates are crossplayers and they don't think of themselves as traps. They don't do it on order to fool anyone. As they told me they do it for the challenge and there is 10x more selections to cosplay than male cosplays.

As for its affects on transgender people, I honestly don't know. In the world of cosplay it really does not matter.

Thank you very much for your feedback!

I was wondering if you might be willing to elaborate on your last sentence.

echoshadow

Sure I'll be happy too. If your deep in the world of cosplay you can become anyone you wish to be. Well given you can pull it off as close as possible. Cosplayers and fans of cosplayers don't have any problems when either gender dressing up as other genders than their own.

For example, I have seen a female cosplay Sabastion from Black Butler and to this day I haven't seen any male cosplay come close. Another example I seen a male cosplay as Hell Girl, if it wasn't for him taking I would have never would have known it was a male.

Both of those examples show the talent and courage that people make in order to achive the look they want. In turn fellow cosplayers and fans admire their accept their hard work.

It's not a simple as it seems to look like another gender. A simple change of clothes is not enough to pull it off.  Those examples I mentioned, the prep work takes a long time. About an hour of make up, wig fitting and styling, not to mention the time it took to make the outfit, the time it took to figure out which character you can pull off, ext..
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

Lucifargundam

I think such a discussion should be left to open discussion/debate.  I have my own opinions, but not everyone will agree to what it is everyone else will have to say... That being said, I don't really think this is a suitable topic for a panel(thought I don't recall that being the trajectory of the projected subject).

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

Mizuki

Late response, but wow this conversation is surprisingly civil, usually when this type of conversation comes up there's a lot of heat.

I recommend against having this as a panel. Trust me, you gotta have some thick skin to pull this one off at a convention.

djmonolith

I think the idea of a general "crossplay" panel would be interesting, but in the years I have spent doing crossplay and crossing the gender border hundreds of times while djing and performing, i can honestly say i have never ever heard the word "trap" in reference to me or any of my friends.  I would say, in general, it is a moot point.  ESPECIALLY in an environment where more people are in costume than not.

Hearing stories about how other people are treated while dressing as the opposite gender would be interesting to me.  Hearing how various challenges to achieve a look, understanding the desire to dress as a character of the opposite gender... these are things that might make a panel more interesting.  I like girls and have never dressed to impress guys. 

One thing I have always found interesting is the polarization between crossplayers who spend time to be passable vs. those who put on a dress and wig and call it a day.  I have always wondered what the motivation is with those who just want to wear the outfit but don't want to go the extra mile to achieve a more "passable" look.  I see it at every Con... guys in wigs and dresses.

I so didn't answer your question, did I??

:\
This is my signature.