Fanime 2012 attendance figures

Started by CatToy, October 03, 2013, 11:14:13 PM

CatToy

I was checking out AnimeCons.com and they had a list of the top 10 anime north american conventions by size in 2012 and, no surprise, fanime is on the list.

Oddly enough, there was only an estimated figure for attendance, though. Every other con on the list had an actual count. Why doesn't Fanime have an actual head count? (This is for the 2012 con, so it's not like there hasn't been enough time to figure it out)

Barnes

Fanime staff simply doesn't state the actual numbers of attendees.

As far as I know, they don't have to.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

echoshadow

Well, another factor is how can you really count attendees? Some people buy the four day pass but go three out four days or even less, or what if another person buys one day pass and another the next day? Technically it was just one person and not two people.

Figuring out con attendees is pretty hard. There are unique and turnstile attendee measures of counting. Either way you can have a headache trying to figure that out.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

hikanteki

I don't think it has to be that hard. *Most* conventions use unique counts. Just tally the # of badges sold.

echoshadow

Go right on a head. But how will you count the people that just came for one day? Since Fanime is 4 days long, are you going to factor that in? Single day attendees could be 25% of the 100% of Fanime's total time.
Also how would you factor in the people that just show up with out buying a badge and hang out in the areas where you don't need a badge?

Either way I'm glad I'm not trying to figure that out.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

hikanteki

Quote from: echoshadow on October 11, 2013, 03:37:55 AM
Go right on a head. But how will you count the people that just came for one day? Since Fanime is 4 days long, are you going to factor that in? Single day attendees could be 25% of the 100% of Fanime's total time.

Like I said in the previous post...just tally the # of badges sold.  Yes, each person who went would count once; it's irrelevant whether they went for one day or four days.

It's very unlikely that someone would buy two single day badges, since that costs more than a 4-day badge.  In the off chance that a couple people did, that's a margin of error I'm willing to live with.

Also how would you factor in the people that just show up with out buying a badge and hang out in the areas where you don't need a badge?

You wouldn't; they aren't legit attendees.