State of the Con?

Started by Tsu, October 25, 2013, 01:01:28 PM

Tsu

This is part suggestion and part question.

I was wondering if there might be any chance of a sort of "State of the Con" report from one of the higher-ups PRIOR to Fanime. I realize from the many posts here that most of what goes on behind-the-scenes is top-secret and can't be divulged to the public, so that might cause a problem. However, that being said, I think I speak for many of us when I say that this year's multitude of problems caused a serious backlash with the fans and has a lot of us concerned regarding next year; not just for registration, but all the other burps and hiccups that occurred over the course of the con.

With that in mind, I would personally appreciate (and anyone who feels similarly or dissimilarly, please speak your mind) hearing something- anything- from the high mucky-mucks of Fanime prior to registration opening for 2014. I don't think it's a lot of ask. Plenty of businesses and companies issue letters when something's gone very wrong and they want to reinstill faith in their customers/shareholders/partners. 2013 was a year where a lot of things went very wrong. I realize that fanime.com's homepage currently contains a letter from Milton Le, Director of Marketing, which does touch on a lot of the problems that occurred and attempts to reassure us that things will be done. The problem is, similar reassurance came at the end of 2012 (with admittedly, the biggest problem being registration's backup due to an unforeseeable and uncontrollable power outage) and 2013 turned out to be a much bigger mess. In addition, seens to how we were all asked to send in comments/complaints, someone from Fanime actually addressing the biggest complaints received would be a nice gesture. Some have posted here with concerns that our emails fell on deaf ears (which I personally doubt, but talking to a faceless, nameless webform wall does lack the personal touch.)

I realize this is a difficult request since Fanime cannot divulge certain private information to us, especially for security's sake. But I don't think I'm alone when I say that even something vague being said would be better than nothing to try and encourage the public that improvements have already been set in place. I say this as a concerned fan with more than a decade of Fanimes under my belt who nonetheless already feels hesitant to register for 2014, and that if indeed 2014 is plagued with as many (or more) problems, will most likely not return for any further Fanimes.

Thanks.
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019

echoshadow

As an attendee  I would like to hear something like what you mention.
But realistically they already said all the needed to say on Fanime's home page.

Yes they screwed up do to human and unforeseen errors, but their working on it to make next years better. That's as much of a state of con as your going to get. They really don't have to say what changes are being made, we just have to wait and see till next year.

Although it would be awesome if they did publicly release the new changes. Like you said there was a lot of negative public feedback at the end of the con. Of all the years I attended the feedback panel, this years room was filled with people. I can only imagine just how many online feedback forms where submitted.

I also share your future concerns about attending Fanime next year. What would be the point to go to a con and not have any fun?  I would rather spend my time and money to some other con that offers more and run with out problems.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

hikanteki

I'll second (third?) this.  We'd really like to hear what they're planning to do for next year to resolve this years problems, and time is running short. 

On Memorial Day weekend 2014, the following other cons are taking place per AnimeCons.com:

Animazement (Raleigh, NC)
Anime Minneapolis
Anime North (Toronto)
MomoCon (Atlanta)
Omni Expo (Orlando)
Anime Oasis (Boise, ID)

Every single one of them has updated their site with announcements and updates since this year's con (i.e. hotel information, travel discounts, periodic contests).  Registration is up on their site, and most of them even have guests announced. 

On the other hand...not a peep from Fanime.

Quote from: foester on October 25, 2013, 01:01:28 PM
The problem is, similar reassurance came at the end of 2012 (with admittedly, the biggest problem being registration's backup due to an unforeseeable and uncontrollable power outage) and 2013 turned out to be a much bigger mess.

That's what we wanted to think but after it turned into a bigger mess in 2013 like you said, I'm not even sure that the backup in 2012 was due to the power outage.

Glitch

Quote from: hikanteki on October 31, 2013, 01:25:32 PM
I'll second (third?) this.  We'd really like to hear what they're planning to do for next year to resolve this years problems, and time is running short. 

On Memorial Day weekend 2014, the following other cons are taking place per AnimeCons.com:

Anime Minneapolis
Anime North (Toronto)
MomoCon (Atlanta)
Omni Expo (Orlando)
Anime Oasis (Boise, ID)

Every single one of them has updated their site with announcements and updates since this year's con (i.e. hotel information, travel discounts, periodic contests).  Registration is up on their site, and most of them even have guests announced. 

The problem is, similar reassurance came at the end of 2012 (with admittedly, the biggest problem being registration's backup due to an unforeseeable and uncontrollable power outage) and 2013 turned out to be a much bigger mess.

That's what we wanted to think but after it turned into a bigger mess in 2013 like you said, I'm not even sure that the backup in 2012 was due to the power outage.
They are actually really early(in fact I would say jumping the gun). Fanime still has like 7 months until the convention. So it isn't that big of a deal. Once February hits, than I'd be worried.

hikanteki

Quote from: Glitch on November 03, 2013, 03:29:09 PM

Anime Minneapolis
Anime North (Toronto)
MomoCon (Atlanta)
Omni Expo (Orlando)
Anime Oasis (Boise, ID)

They are actually really early(in fact I would say jumping the gun). Fanime still has like 7 months until the convention. So it isn't that big of a deal. Once February hits, than I'd be worried.

When 6/7 have already announced registration/guests, that's not "really early", that's normal.

Jan-Feb was when we started hearing news about Fanime last year, and look how it turned out.  I don't trust them to put together a decently run show in that short of a time frame, at least not with the current guard.

echoshadow

Quote from: hikanteki on November 05, 2013, 10:55:53 AM
Jan-Feb was when we started hearing news about Fanime last year, and look how it turned out.  I don't trust them to put together a decently run show in that short of a time frame, at least not with the current guard.
Yeah tell me about it.  ::)

Personally, and this is just my own way of thinking but,  I can measure a convention success by they way their schedule is handled.
If it's up a few weeks before the con starts, that tells me they have everything squared away and are ready for anything. 
If it's up weeks before and continues being changed till a week before the con, then things are ok but will lack in somethings.
If the schedule is out a week before the start of the con and still being changed up to days to the opening, then it's going to suck half of the time. Things are not in their place, people are running like chickens on crack, and expect things to go wrong.

But oh wells cons success are determined by its people. Seems like al the good people have moved to other things or just retired from the con world. In all of this it has me thinking maybe next year I will work in the con staff and bring forth the proper changes so other people will enjoy the con like I used too.  But meh, we'll see what happens.

Dagger-6

I believe anyone can attend the open parts of the staff meeting (it has to be public in order to give potential staffers an opportunity to participate) if you're interested in seeing what's been going on in the last few months.

I'll try and take some more detailed notes next meeting and ask some questions of departments to see if there's any relevant information that is available for public knowledge.  I know I've been closely following any updates regarding plans to fix registration, but it seems like most of it is internal fixes for the time being.  There's no staff meetings in December so the next big notice should be in January, so hopefully there should be some sort of major update then, otherwise I'll ask around.

Besides registration, what are some of the major topics that people are interested in?  I believe the cosplay masquerade was one point where people wanted to see improvement, and I know they were discussing some changes to address concerns about implementation regarding B/W Ball's dress code.  Anything else?

Definitely consider staffing!  Especially if you have some specific ideas you'd potentially like to see implemented.

Ponyflare

Well, I'm from out of country and was considering going to fanime this year to meet a specific artist and have some books signed.
Now I see all this stuff. Lots of people complaining. Had that same issue with the local con.
There is really only one way to solve all these problems.

More people need to step up and help run the event.

Preferably people with experience running large events, or managing large groups of people. Long-time volunteers who have seen fanime grow and know the event and its problems and have good ideas on how to fix them can also be good candidates for staff.

More staff and more volunteers. A large convention needs a lot of people to make sure it runs smoothly.

You want your con to happen? GO OUT AND MAKE IT HAPPEN.
Go to those open meetings Dagger-6 mentioned. It's really that simple.

Rhornez

Quote from: Ponyflare on January 16, 2014, 11:12:40 PM
Well, I'm from out of country and was considering going to fanime this year to meet a specific artist and have some books signed.
Now I see all this stuff. Lots of people complaining. Had that same issue with the local con.
There is really only one way to solve all these problems.

Preferably people with experience running large events, or managing large groups of people. Long-time volunteers who have seen fanime grow and know the event and its problems and have good ideas on how to fix them can also be good candidates for staff.

More staff and more volunteers. A large convention needs a lot of people to make sure it runs smoothly.

You want your con to happen? GO OUT AND MAKE IT HAPPEN.
Go to those open meetings Dagger-6 mentioned. It's really that simple.
thing is alot of people dont want to do that and thats the dilemma theres no people with a can do attitude that wants to step it up and help out or rally people with motivation

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

hikanteki

They don't need more management, they need better management.  During Day 0 there were many rooms with volunteers that were doing absolutely nothing, because all the attendees were stuck in the registration line.

This is a good idea.

Imperial

Quote from: hikanteki on January 21, 2014, 12:36:19 PM

They don't need more management, they need better management.  During Day 0 there were many rooms with volunteers that were doing absolutely nothing, because all the attendees were stuck in the registration line.

This is a good idea.

Management was somewhat okay, I just think they need to start earlier. I know day zero is the start point, but have things starting to roll out for everybody else around 7am. I.E. start reg, being prepared for reg by 9am, have rover base set up by 9am, basically set up shop. I wouldn't mind being there 5am, just give me coffee and Ill get rolling. I know most people are not nightowl/morning people, but if the framework is all ready to go, it would most logically be setting everything else to flow smoothly. I was kinda scared at the fact that rover base was not ready by 3pm day zero, when reg really starts to get a line. I know I am just a photog, but like Day zero I wouldn't mind until my meeting came round to help set up shop for other places, cause I like to be at con by 11am at the latest

CatToy

Quote from: Glitch on November 03, 2013, 03:29:09 PM

Anime Minneapolis
Anime North (Toronto)
MomoCon (Atlanta)
Omni Expo (Orlando)
Anime Oasis (Boise, ID)

It's February. The website is still non-functional. Can we worry now?

echoshadow

Quote from: CatToy on February 02, 2014, 02:54:21 AM
It's February. The website is still non-functional. Can we worry now?
Not really incase your not like everyone like me, they have announced on Facebook/Twitter the official opening of the web site/hotel/reg on the 10th of February.