Is this possible?

Started by xOchiix, November 07, 2013, 08:33:38 PM

xOchiix

Hello fellow Fanime attendees!

I had a question. I'm currently 17 but by the time Fanime comes around, I'll be 18.

I'm planning on getting a hotel, however, my father will be paying with it from his debit card.

I'm assuming that the hotel will go under his name? We live a fair ways away from San Jose and he doesn't want to travel all the way down there just to verify I am using the hotel. Is there a way he can pay for it from his card but put it under my name so I can provide a state issued I.D. and use the hotel room?

If this is possible, would he need to be there to check out?

Thank you!

SpiritOfKairi

Yes it is possible.  I know because I've done it before a few years ago.  What you need to do is use his card when you go to book the room online.  Then, about a week out from the con when the hotels get the room info from Fanime Housing, call the hotel, and let them know how you are paying.  Your dad will need to fax them over a form with his card information so that they have it on hand when you go to check in, and he doesn't have to physically be there.  Then when you do check in, they will have the payment method on record, and all you will need to do is show them is your ID.  And no, he doesn't need to be there when you check out.  But do note one thing - when paying by debit, when you go to check in, they will charge the card for not only your full stay, but will also take a security deposit equal to one night plus tax.  Long as you don't mess up the room though, the deposit will be refunded after the con when the charge is finalized.

xOchiix

echoshadow

Yep that pretty much what she said. Just let your dad know that there would be a chunk of money on hold when you check in. 

Some times the bank would freak out and place a hold if he uses his debit card at the same time as he is being charged at the hotel and buying something else a hundred miles away like pumping gas. So just let your dad tell his bank not to freak out and expect a charge from the hotel.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List