Using Debit for Hyatt

Started by SkaiRa1n, December 08, 2013, 05:17:03 PM

SkaiRa1n

Hi there,

I know that using a debit card isn't recommended for using at hotels, but I don't really have a choice but to use it.  From what I've read, the security deposit is $50 per night.  And the cost of the room is $112 per night (just using this as an example).  Not sure how much tax is total.  So the amount of $ I SHOULD have in my debit card is $486 + more for tax.  Just a note, I plan to stay 3 nights (Friday, Saturday, Sunday).

Is there anything else I should be concerned about?  And has anyone used a debit card here?

Edit:  These are the results when I e-mailed Hyatt:
There will be a 14% tax + $2.60
In addition to a $50 deposit per night

echoshadow

Also add in bed tax. Not too sure about the $50 security deposit per night. You might want to call the hotel about their deposit policy.
Another thing you have to keep aware of when using debit cards is that they get charged right away so make sure you have enough money on the card or cash with you.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

KyraEnsui

With debit card, you must have enough money in your account for them to approve or it will be declined. It would "take your money" during your stays and then, they will officially take it after a few days when you leave. So, it's "total amount" + "security deposit". Majority of the hotels will mention on their site before booking that there will be a security deposit. As to how much, it depends. It's good to email or call the hotel how much or if they do charge it.

At the Hilton, I know they do charge it when I used my debit card since I've been using it for years.

SkaiRa1n

Thank you for your responses! I really appreciate it.  I've read insane stories of people being over-charged and stuff.  Hopefully it doesn't happen.

KyraEnsui

It depends how much the hotel does or does not charge security deposit. With credit card, it won't show, but it will show in debit use. It's better before checking in to ask how much beforehand. If you have roommates, it's better to get their share of the room before they spent it all at the con.

Hotels will charge if there's any damages to the room and hence, the security deposit.

SkaiRa1n

Thanks Kyra! I emailed the Hyatt and got a reply.

" I am pleased to inform you that the credit or debit card is used just to guarantee the reservation, however you can settle all your charges at the time of checking out through cash or debit card."

The person didn't tell me about the security deposit or any other taxes even though I asked.

TofuHopper

I don't remember getting charged for any deposit when checking in with the Hyatt for 2012... I hope it stays like that :p I'm hoping to get this hotel again! The Fairmont was just a nightmare to deal with -_-;

KyraEnsui

Quote from: SkaiRa1n on December 10, 2013, 10:02:32 AM
Thanks Kyra! I emailed the Hyatt and got a reply.

" I am pleased to inform you that the credit or debit card is used just to guarantee the reservation, however you can settle all your charges at the time of checking out through cash or debit card."

The person didn't tell me about the security deposit or any other taxes even though I asked.

They might not charge, but safe than sorry, if rooming with others, get their money before checking in. When you check in, they actually will tell you if they do and how much. It varies on the charges.

KyraEnsui

Quote from: TofuHopper on December 10, 2013, 03:58:22 PM
I don't remember getting charged for any deposit when checking in with the Hyatt for 2012... I hope it stays like that :p I'm hoping to get this hotel again! The Fairmont was just a nightmare to deal with -_-;

Yeah. I have booked at the Fairmont before and they charge an arm for their security from what I remember. I've stayed Marriott and Hilton too. They're not too bad with their charges.

octoberesque

Be prepared, last year at the Marriott I was charged almost a hundred dollars over what I was quoted at the FaniHousing booking site WHEN CHECKING IN, and I always use a debit card. Never happened to me at any other hotels. Luckily my hotelmates were able to chip in their extra shares but it seemed really shady at the time. So make sure you have some EXTRA cash on that debit card just in case. :(

SkaiRa1n

Quote from: octoberesque on December 20, 2013, 01:15:40 AM
Be prepared, last year at the Marriott I was charged almost a hundred dollars over what I was quoted at the FaniHousing booking site WHEN CHECKING IN, and I always use a debit card. Never happened to me at any other hotels. Luckily my hotelmates were able to chip in their extra shares but it seemed really shady at the time. So make sure you have some EXTRA cash on that debit card just in case. :(

Will do! Thanks :).  I plan to put an extra $100 onto my debit card.