Anime Video Game Cosplay Geek Clearing House > Homestuck!

Homestuck's Acceptance

(1/2) > >>

therandomeer:
Just out of curiosity, did anyone have any problems with any other con-goers at Fanime 2013, or earlier, as a Homestuck character?
It was my first year dressing up, I went as Sollux and Kankri, and I noticed that people weren't as open to conversing with me in such an outfit unless it was a fellow Homestuck cosplayer. What about you?
Also, were you as disappointed as I was for not being able to get into Gamzee's Game Cafe? I hope a big Homestuck panel next year can handle more of a group.

Acey Arisen:
I didn't have any real issues, but then again I'm not exactly a social butterfly in general.

That said, there is a lot of disdain for Homestuck in the general fandom community (both online and off--I once had a girl refuse to talk to me when I mentioned, after she had asked, that my hoodie was from Homestuck). While I do agree that the fandom has some serious issues, I honestly don't think it's that much worse than a lot of other fandoms. Its main problem, I think, stems from the fact that the overall age of Homestuck fans tends to be relatively low--largely teenagers, many as young as 13 and 14. A lot of them genuinely don't get fandom etiquette, so it kind of brings the overall "image" of the fandom down. Which is a shame!

But yeah, I do agree that a lot of people's hatred for the fans is pretty over-the-top at times.

Anix:
There is another thread dealing with the general "Homestuck Hate". I'm indifferent. I don't follow the comic in all honesty, but if your into it and it makes you happy good for you. Plus looking back at Fanime you are just the latest in a long line of Fandoms.

Inuyasha
Naruto
Hetalia
Bronies
You Guys

There are probably more but those are the groups of ravenous fans I remember since '04

Acey Arisen:
I actually feel a lot of those fandoms are treated pretty unfairly as well, Anix.

I will acknowledge, as an MLP fan (though not one terribly active in the fandom), that some parts of the MLP fandom are gross even by Bad Parts Of Fandoms standards--but again, every fandom has its scum, and that shouldn't reflect on the entire fandom.

mookiebear:
I saw a lot of homestuck cosplayers last year. Last year was also my first fanime and I dressed up as Sesshomaru from InuYasha. I don't treat others differently for what they cosplay as. Then again I'm an introvert, but I'd never walk away from someone due to what they like.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version