Advice for a newbie????

Started by SkylerKarashi, January 27, 2014, 05:15:51 AM

SkylerKarashi

I'm running the Ouran Highschool Host Club gathering this year, and I've been to a few gatherings
In the past, but I would still love a little advice considering this is my first gathering ever. :D anything helps. Thanks. :)
My Cosplay For Fanime 2024:
Thursday: Closet Kaminari/Yuri (BNHA/Yuri On Ice)
Friday: Goth (Boyfriends)
Saturday: Red (Pokemon & Smash Bros)
Sunday: Casual Kaminari (BNHA)
Monday: Goth (Boyfriends)

Valcust

I'm certainly no expert on running gatherings, but the biggest point of advice I'd give you is to have a plan; who goes first, second, etc. The only gathering I've ever run was an impromptu resident evil gathering two years ago, though that seemed pretty simple to figure out- group picture first, then good guys, then individual characters, then bad, then their individual characters, then zombies, the- you get the idea, all I can say is that writing the order of characters down or at least having it set up in your head is DEFINITELY a must. Because coming up with it all on the spot is a bit panic-y #.#
Cosplays planned for 2014~:
Aimless Renegade~ 50%
Ja'Sajek the Khajiit~ 25%
Return of P-Body~ 75%

Tabbychan

I've been running gatherings for... 6/7 years now so I might have a few pointers I can give you.

First of all, be kind to your photographer, remember they are there to help you. One thing I've found is really useful is to type up your photo lineup and make a copy for you and the photographer. Make sure to have a strong grip on your cosplayers when it comes to the actual posing since they tend to get distracted easily. Have another person there to help run since sometimes it's hard to do your countdown when IN the pictures(assuming you are dressing up from Ouran as well).  Make sure to check in at the appropriate time with the gathering department( It makes it easier for them to send a photographer and just makes everything run smoother). Last piece of advice is to roll with the punches, SOMETHING will probably go wrong and that's okay, don't let make you shy away :)

Hope this helped!