Day 0: Worth It?

Started by Sivartius, January 28, 2014, 07:20:42 PM

Sivartius

This will be my second time coming to Fanime, and my second con.  Last time I wanted to come to day 0, but several other members of the group I was a part of couldn't make it, so we didn't get there till Friday afternoon.  This year it looks like I will be going solo, (although I am hoping to find some people to share my car with, and hopefully some roommates.) I am about a 3.5-4 hour drive north, and I was wondering if it would be worth it to come down for Day 0.  I'm still very inexperienced.

Perceived Potential Cons:
Have to pay for an additional day at the hotel
Possibly harder to find people to carpool with
Possibly harder to find roomates

Possible Pros:
Possibly shorter lines
Possibly less traffic
Day 0 swap meet
Other events

I could be missing other items on both sides.  So what do you think?  Do/would you go to Day 0, and why/why not?
I'm not actually crazy, but I'm not conventionally sane.

Admiral Donuts

Personally I enjoy day 0. It really helps to build anticipation for the con... and it gets the worse part out of the way right at the start.

If you're getting a hotel room, you might want to weigh the cost of that against it.

heeroyuy135

If you're checking in on Day Zero, it allows you to establish your room even before the convention starts. You're not in a rush on the day of the convention to get your stuff and your roommates' stuff in the room when you might be potentially be missing out on an event like Opening Ceremonies. It also allows you to make multiple trips for food or additional supplies knowing that you're not missing out on the con. You can sleep easy on Thursday knowing that you can sleep in a bit going into Friday (unless you're like me who wakes up on Friday like any other time to take photos of early Day One).

Imperial

For me, I love day zero, cause time is your friend then, theres no rush, and you get to scout out some of the people that come day zero in Cosplay, and (if you are willing) work staff and or volunteer in the beginning to work back your pass so you can have a more balance on your cost and profits on going.

Anix

Two words- swap meet. It's only on day zero and day one it's where I do most of my shopping.
We are a little mad here.
The question is are you going to use your powers for good or for awesome

Valcust

Personally, I tend to treat day 0 as an additional day of the con. What with the previous few having their mixups and long waits, instead of taking it in as a horrid waiting experience, I take the time to make friends with those in line around me, play a board game or two, have a casual cosplay going on, just have fun with it~ :3
Cosplays planned for 2014~:
Aimless Renegade~ 50%
Ja'Sajek the Khajiit~ 25%
Return of P-Body~ 75%

Barnes

I've been to Day Zero since I was in high school. I've almost always found it worth my time on that day to get my badge early.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Lucifargundam

Day Zero makes the following days more convenient. Rather than getting your room and/or badge day-of events, you get yourself prepped up for the actual event!  Coincidentially, by so many people going to Day 0, popular events sprouted during this day...

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

echoshadow

I'll say do it, if you can afford it. Its better to kill a few hours waiting in line for your badge on day zero than having to miss part of day one in line.

Even if you come at night on day zero and not pick up your badge you'll still have a good night sleep and wake up nice and early day one with out having to look for parking, checking into your hotel room, etc..

And you'll find lots of people that are willing to come with you on day zero. so there is no loss there.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

Kahluah

Day zero is totally worth it. I am especially looking forward to it this year because the teacher I hate the most has his final on that day. After its done I get to go relax at linecon 2014 with a bunch of cool strangers in the newly removed convention center, and I think that is the best way to unwind.

otakuya

Day 0 is like a rolling preview of the next 4 days of Fanime. While waiting in line, there will be a lot of people walking by and entertainment in line; all before the convention officially starts (hence Day "0").

If it's "worth it", it depends. IF it happens to be similar to last year(s), then not really, unless you happen to have school or work on Friday morning or afternoon and use up most of Fanime Friday in line.

Kahluah

Quote from: Otakuya on February 11, 2014, 09:07:04 PM
IF it happens to be similar to last year(s), then not really

Hopefully since the center is done we wont get a repeat of the last two years, with the power outages and where badge pick up is located and all.

Hachimitsu

Quote from: Anix on January 28, 2014, 10:42:08 PM
Two words- swap meet. It's only on day zero and day one it's where I do most of my shopping.

I want to agree because day zero is only worth it to have friends around playing board games while waiting in the line! that way your open to have time on the other days.

Swap meet day zero is the only good event people like to go.

the only draw back with day zero is a series of unfortunate events (black outs, lack of communication, misplacements (the black out example they were moving people in groups and eventually our group got lost and went into a big walk around the hotel)

Purelovely

I think it's worth it. I'm going to San Francisco that day. Coming from Indiana, I always have to visit there and we like to get it out of the way this year. I hope to be back in time to get my badge and check out the swap meet before getting much needed sleep in preparation for cosplay.  :)
Fanime Con 2018 Cosplay:
Fri: No cosplay
Sat: ??
Sun: No cosplay
Mon: No cosplay because I'm going to Disneyland!

EJAY420

Ill tell u right now. DAY ZERO IS NOT WORTH IT.  hint: get your badge early friday morning.
Most Impressive.

Anix

Quote from: EJAY420 on February 12, 2014, 09:47:35 AM
Ill tell u right now. DAY ZERO IS NOT WORTH IT.  hint: get your badge early friday morning.

Because of the issues with picking up badges most of the Day0 events they don't even check for badges.
We are a little mad here.
The question is are you going to use your powers for good or for awesome

ewu

Quote from: Anix on February 13, 2014, 12:02:34 AM
Because of the issues with picking up badges most of the Day0 events they don't even check for badges.

Actually, Thursday events have been unbadged for many years. It is meant to be a preview of sorts of the convention. Additionally, the events are often not fully set up by opening time on Day 0. However, the events start to become badged at 8am Friday morning.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Hachimitsu

Quote from: ewu on February 13, 2014, 12:44:21 AM
Quote from: Anix on February 13, 2014, 12:02:34 AM

Actually, Thursday events have been unbadged for many years

Around 2011 [year of the black out] (IT WASN"T!)

they made rules clearly stating thursday was a badge event, so i had to wait in line to have it.
SADLY when i arrived with the badge, i lost my spot for swap meet, and they broke their own rules...

I am hoping something like this NEVER happens again!

ewu

Quote from: Hachimitsu-ink on February 13, 2014, 02:08:23 PM
Around 2011 [year of the black out] (IT WASN"T!)

they made rules clearly stating thursday was a badge event, so i had to wait in line to have it.
SADLY when i arrived with the badge, i lost my spot for swap meet, and they broke their own rules...

I am hoping something like this NEVER happens again!

You needed a badge to sell at the swapmeet, but not to attend the swapmeet and buy things, but semantics...
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

mikasa-san

I actually didn't book a hotel for Thursday Day 0, or for Friday Day 1, mostly due to my proximity to the convention center where I live. I plan to pick up my badge on Day 0 and pal around but usually I don't attend much of the Day 0 activities.

The same goes for Friday as well, all of the Fanime events that I regularly attend are always on Saturday and Sunday of the con. For people with previous con experience who know what events they like it can sometimes be beneficial to save money by not booking Day 0.

It's all personal preference. I appreciate that they HAVE a Day 0 for people to get acclimated though.  :D
FANIME 2015 COSPLAYS:
Maleficent
Poland (for Gong Show)