Registration for Attendee FAQ for 2014 - updated as of [5/20/2014]

Started by SOawesomeness, February 03, 2014, 03:12:01 PM

princesskitty18

is there a specific end date for online registration?
as in, what is the last day to register online?
Fanime attendee since 2006
2012 Black & White Ball volunteer
2013-now Black & White Ball Staff

Follow us on Facebook page and Twitter!
- https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
- https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: princesskitty18 on April 07, 2014, 03:53:48 PM
is there a specific end date for online registration?
as in, what is the last day to register online?

In previous years there has been, usually a couple weeks before the con itself.

Edit: Last year it was announced on May 10th that reg would be closing on May 12th, but then updated to May 14th. So if that's anything to go by, they won't be announcing it's closing until it's almost closed.

SOawesomeness

Quote from: DangerHeart on February 27, 2014, 06:52:11 PM
Quote from: fr0zendrgn on February 27, 2014, 06:42:45 PM
1. Is it okay if I make someone else in my group the group leader even though I'm paying for everyone's badges? Because I don't have a Government Issued ID, only a High school ID (last year they let me get my group's badges with my school ID but I don't wanna push my luck for this year...). I'm the only person in the group with enough money to pay for everyone.

2. Is the Group Leader picks up the badges rule going to be properly followed this year? Because last year your STAFF was giving me a hard time when I was picking up my group's badges. I had the paperwork and everything to show I was the group leader but they wouldn't give me my groups badges because I wasn't the "owner" of their badges. Luckily my group came with me on Day 0 so we were able to pick up our badges, but I really don't want to have to go this problem again.

3. Does the Group Name appear on anything (like our Badges)? I'm just wondering since we're running really low on time and can't decide on a group name lol.

(Not a staff member)
1. Yes I think you can, every year before this I've signed everyone in my group up and used my paypal to buy all badges, but have only been group leader one year. I don't see why you shouldn't be able too.

2. That seems really strange, we've never had problems getting everyone's badges so I can't explain that at all.....

3. I think I've read that the group name doesn't appear on the badge. Just the standard info that's on them every year.
Hi!

Group name will not appear on the badge. Just Fan Name and Legal name will appear on your badge.

As to #2, I would heavily doubt that- "owner" does not show up in our system as I'm assuming with "owner" you mean person who paid? The group leader is the only one who is authorized to pick up the group's badges.
Quote from: pitin on March 28, 2014, 01:03:08 PM

Quote from: phr34kish on March 28, 2014, 12:56:01 PM
In the past, Fanime hasn't offered one day badges during pre- or early-registration for individuals OR groups. One day badges have to be purchased at-con.

According to the first post on this thread, they are not offered during pre- or early- registration (terms fanime seems to be moving away from using). But you CAN pay for them online. You must still purchase them online on the SAME day you wish to attend and then pick them up at the convention center. (or clockwork alchemy)
This is confirmed. You will only be able to purchase one-day memberships on the day-of.

Quote from: codemaster on March 28, 2014, 12:04:07 PM
3. Is there a way to group register for a single day? For example, if 4 people want to attend on Saturday only.
Yes, there will be!

Quote from: codemaster on March 28, 2014, 12:04:07 PM
4. If registration opens at 12:01 AM, does this mean we can come as early as (hypothetically) 4 AM to pick up badges? Do you think this will reduce the crazy lines we saw last year?
You're confusing two things there- Online registration opens up at 12:01am- but the physical location of FanimeCon Registration & pickup opens at 8am.
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

SOawesomeness

Quote from: Admiral Donuts on March 31, 2014, 11:30:04 AM
If you register online between April 1st and whenever online registration ends, are you still able to pick up on Day 0?

Edit: Also the FAQ is confusing, what's the difference between "Pre-Registration", "Prepaid" and "Early Registration?" Because all the terms are used in different contexts and different capitalization without there being any hard definitions.

Maybe you could start calling them "Reg Group A" and "Reg Group B" or something, or nail down what counts as what for clarity.
Pre-registration and prepaid are essentially the same. We are doing away with Early Registration since that is what we used in previous years.

Quote from: pitin on March 31, 2014, 01:06:32 PM
Since Fanime may be printing labels for badges at-con like they did last year it is possible that you might be able to pay for your badge Thursday morning (day 0) and pick it up that day when they open for badge pick-up. They would no longer have to print out all the "pre-reg" badges ahead of time (double checked and they do not seem to have a cut off time for online full-weekend registration). Also, it seems like they will have 2 lines for the rest of the con, paid online and pay at-con. Because they now allow even one day attendees to pay online the day of.
It is possible, but I highly discourage that. Thursdays are typically very understaffed with extremely long lines since many attendees come to pick up their badge on Thursdays.

Confirmed- we will have essentially 2 lines- Paid online and Pay At-Con/Register. They have slightly different labels, but the meaning is essentially the same.

Quote from: Admiral Donuts on March 31, 2014, 02:51:18 PM
Quote from: pitin on March 31, 2014, 01:06:32 PM
Since Fanime may be printing labels for badges at-con like they did last year it is possible that you might be able to pay for your badge Thursday morning (day 0) and pick it up that day when they open for badge pick-up.

If that's the case it's a definite change from last year. Pre-reg will likely be closed sometime in early to mid-May.

Sorry- this is incorrect. We will be closing for about a week or two (it is not known yet but we will announce it ahead of time), and then come back up via a different registration website and system. We are hoping to minimize the amount of down time for online registration while also switching these systems for the at-con system.

Quote from: kookiekween99 on April 07, 2014, 12:16:54 PM
Have the times for Thursday badge pickup been announced yet?
Thursday times are extremely TBA as it depends on the number of Registration staff that is available to start working. I can say we will be open by 3pm until 8pm but when we initially open is in the air until further notice, which we hope to firm up soon. However, I will say again that Thursday is our must understaffed day.
Ellie S.
Head of Registration

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: SOawesomeness on April 10, 2014, 09:53:32 AM
Quote from: Admiral Donuts on March 31, 2014, 11:30:04 AM
If you register online between April 1st and whenever online registration ends, are you still able to pick up on Day 0?

Edit: Also the FAQ is confusing, what's the difference between "Pre-Registration", "Prepaid" and "Early Registration?" Because all the terms are used in different contexts and different capitalization without there being any hard definitions.

Maybe you could start calling them "Reg Group A" and "Reg Group B" or something, or nail down what counts as what for clarity.
Pre-registration and prepaid are essentially the same. We are doing away with Early Registration since that is what we used in previous years.

Thanks for clarifying it. Could someone update the FAQ? There was a debate ongoing on Facebook and some people were under the impression that if you registered after March 31st you couldn't pick up your badge on Day 0.

Thursday times are extremely TBA as it depends on the number of Registration staff that is available to start working. I can say we will be open by 3pm until 8pm but when we initially open is in the air until further notice, which we hope to firm up soon. However, I will say again that Thursday is our must understaffed day.

So... you guys will be open (as in handing out badges) starting at 3 PM at least, but it might be even earlier? That's great, I think last year's 7 PM start time was hard on everyone.

SOawesomeness

Quote from: Admiral Donuts on April 10, 2014, 11:11:53 AM
Thanks for clarifying it. Could someone update the FAQ? There was a debate ongoing on Facebook and some people were under the impression that if you registered after March 31st you couldn't pick up your badge on Day 0.
Right. For the sake of time and staff on Thursdays though, I will be attempting to have a cutoff date for online registrants. Those who register and pay after the 31st will not be able to pick up on Thursday. I'll edit the FAQ both on the website and on the forums once I have a good chunk of time to do so.

Edit: we will not be limiting Thursday to any pre-paid members BUT I will advise everyone that Thursday is extremely busy and may contain long lines.

Quote from: Admiral Donuts on April 10, 2014, 09:53:32 AM
So... you guys will be open (as in handing out badges) starting at 3 PM at least, but it might be even earlier? That's great, I think last year's 7 PM start time was hard on everyone.
I am not promising anything regarding earlier, and of course, barring any huge incident. Yes, I agree, the late start time last year was hard on everyone, including staff. Luckily, we have the venue much earlier this year instead of starting at 2pm last year.
Ellie S.
Head of Registration

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: SOawesomeness on April 10, 2014, 12:00:08 PM
Right. For the sake of time and staff on Thursdays though, I will be attempting to have a cutoff date for online registrants. Those who register and pay after the 31st will not be able to pick up on Thursday. I'll edit the FAQ both on the website and on the forums once I have a good chunk of time to do so.

Wait, so if you register from April 1st until online reg closes, you don't get to pick up your badge on Day 0?

Edit: Serously, please do up something like this:

Group A Registration: $50, registered at end of FanimeCon previous year.
Group B Registration: $55, online registration from open-Feburary 28th 2014
Group C Registration: $65, online registration from March 1st - March 31st
Group D Registration: $75, online registration from April 1st until close
Group E Registration: $75, online registration during Fanime Con

Then you just need to say stuff like "Groups A,B, & C can pick-up Day 0" instead of using the half-dozen ambiguous terms the FAQ has now.

AirEric

Will those selling at Artist Alley or the Dealers hall be able to surpass the pre-registration line? That was very convenient in previous years.

SOawesomeness

Quote from: Admiral Donuts on April 10, 2014, 02:33:22 PM
Wait, so if you register from April 1st until online reg closes, you don't get to pick up your badge on Day 0?

Edit: Serously, please do up something like this:

Group A Registration: $50, registered at end of FanimeCon previous year.
Group B Registration: $55, online registration from open-Feburary 28th 2014
Group C Registration: $65, online registration from March 1st - March 31st
Group D Registration: $75, online registration from April 1st until close
Group E Registration: $75, online registration during Fanime Con

Then you just need to say stuff like "Groups A,B, & C can pick-up Day 0" instead of using the half-dozen ambiguous terms the FAQ has now.
Thank you for the suggestions!

Quote from: AirEric on April 10, 2014, 04:29:39 PM
Will those selling at Artist Alley or the Dealers hall be able to surpass the pre-registration line? That was very convenient in previous years.
Artists Alley will have their own set of instructions on where to pick up their badge. In addition, Dealers participants also will pick up their badge in a separate area, like they did last year as well.

Essentially, if you're a special group, you should/will be told where to pick up your badge.
Ellie S.
Head of Registration

kookiekween99

When will we know for sure? My boyfriend has to buy train tickets and needs to know when to plan to show up, and I have other people who need to know for other reasons.

As for being understaffed, I would be willing to volunteer for that, but I'm not willing to work the whole con. Just Thursday, cuz that needs the most help. Like, I wouldn't even care about getting any cost off my badge. I'd just rather be on the other side actually making a difference than standing/sitting in line. So far, everyone I've asked about the possibility of partial-staffing/volunteering for no reimbursement isn't possible, though.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

Admiral Donuts

Quoting this because I didn't get a straight answer. Do people who registered online after MArch 31st get to pick up their badges on Day 0?

Quote from: kookiekween99 on April 13, 2014, 02:19:26 AM
When will we know for sure? My boyfriend has to buy train tickets and needs to know when to plan to show up, and I have other people who need to know for other reasons.

You probably want to be earlier rather than later, given that people will be lining up well in advance of 3 o'clock.

As for being understaffed, I would be willing to volunteer for that, but I'm not willing to work the whole con. Just Thursday, cuz that needs the most help. Like, I wouldn't even care about getting any cost off my badge. I'd just rather be on the other side actually making a difference than standing/sitting in line.

This. I'd rather do something productive that helps the line move rather than just stand in it.

SOawesomeness

Quote from: Admiral Donuts on April 13, 2014, 05:01:36 PM

Quoting this because I didn't get a straight answer. Do people who registered online after MArch 31st get to pick up their badges on Day 0?

You probably want to be earlier rather than later, given that people will be lining up well in advance of 3 o'clock.

As for being understaffed, I would be willing to volunteer for that, but I'm not willing to work the whole con. Just Thursday, cuz that needs the most help. Like, I wouldn't even care about getting any cost off my badge. I'd just rather be on the other side actually making a difference than standing/sitting in line.

This. I'd rather do something productive that helps the line move rather than just stand in it.

For your first quote- I've edited my above post. We will not be limiting pickups on Thursdays to pre-paid members. However, I will urge members to pick up their badge on Friday as opposed to Thursday, as we will have long lines then.

For your last point- Registration will only work with volunteers who have gone through the volunteer process. If you'd like more information or clarification, please e-mail volunteers[AT]fanime[DOT]com.
Ellie S.
Head of Registration

SOawesomeness

As for being understaffed, I would be willing to volunteer for that, but I'm not willing to work the whole con. Just Thursday, cuz that needs the most help. Like, I wouldn't even care about getting any cost off my badge. I'd just rather be on the other side actually making a difference than standing/sitting in line. So far, everyone I've asked about the possibility of partial-staffing/volunteering for no reimbursement isn't possible, though.
We are setting the time for 3pm-8pm on Thursday. We will try to open up earlier but at this time, I cannot promise anything other than 3pm as our official start.

Thank you for your patience.
Ellie S.
Head of Registration

SquishyK

nm
I sell cute and geeky polymer clay jewelry!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SquishyKreations
http://squishykreations.tumblr.com

Tested/MythBusters:
"Failure is always an option"
"Try again, fail again, fail better"
"Art is never finished, only abandoned"

Foxberry

I did a forum search, saw that last year that Clockwork allowed for Thursday pickup at Clockwork's location.
I did a search and couldn't find any confirmation for this year I just wanted to be sure as I requested to pick up my badge there this year instead at the convention center.
Will this apply to this year as well?
Thank you :)

Admiral Donuts

Yes. Note that it will be Clockwork Alchemey artwork.

SquishyK

Quote from: Foxberry on April 21, 2014, 12:40:26 AM
I did a forum search, saw that last year that Clockwork allowed for Thursday pickup at Clockwork's location.
I did a search and couldn't find any confirmation for this year I just wanted to be sure as I requested to pick up my badge there this year instead at the convention center.
The Clockwork Alchemy registration FAQs indicate that yes, Thursday badge pickup will be an option. The exact times that registration at the Double Tree will open have not been posted yet.
I sell cute and geeky polymer clay jewelry!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SquishyKreations
http://squishykreations.tumblr.com

Tested/MythBusters:
"Failure is always an option"
"Try again, fail again, fail better"
"Art is never finished, only abandoned"

SOawesomeness

Quote from: pitin on April 21, 2014, 09:17:21 AM
Quote from: Foxberry on April 21, 2014, 12:40:26 AM
The Clockwork Alchemy registration FAQs indicate that yes, Thursday badge pickup will be an option. The exact times that registration at the Double Tree will open have not been posted yet.
Hrmm. Let me get on that. I'll poke them to post it. Thanks!
Ellie S.
Head of Registration

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: SOawesomeness on February 03, 2014, 03:12:01 PM
Group Registration
Q: What is Group Registration?
A: It is online registration for groups of 2 or more people. This is so that someone can pay collectively. There is no group discount.

Q: Do we get discounts?
A: There are no discounts for group registration.

Q: Who can pick up the collective group's badges? What does the leader need to pick up the badges?
A: Only the group leader can pick up the badges. No one else may pick up the group's badges — this is to prevent theft. The leader must have either a valid student ID or a valid government-issued photo ID during pick-up, otherwise no one can pick up their badges. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DISTRIBUTION OF THE BADGES TO THE GROUP MEMBERS. Any lost badges will result in a re-print fee.

Q: Is there a group size for Group Registration?
A: No. If you have single memberships and would like to create a group, please fill out the form at r.fanime.com/groups in order to have your memberships merged into a group using your confirmaton code found after payment.

Quoting this because so many people had issues with the changes to group reg this year.

r.fanime.com isn't up yet, unfortunately.

admyr_777

I have been trying to do online registration, but have had no luck since it seems the registration page is being updated.  The thing is the page said the new registration page will be open on May 3rd.  It has already past and no luck.  Is there an ETA for the registration page?