Registration for Attendee FAQ for 2014 - updated as of [5/20/2014]

Started by SOawesomeness, February 03, 2014, 03:12:01 PM

athenaookami

Quote from: phr34kish on February 03, 2014, 04:23:50 PM
Quote from: MPLe on February 03, 2014, 04:17:35 PM
Quote from: phr34kish on February 03, 2014, 04:10:21 PM
Quote from: SOawesomeness on February 03, 2014, 03:12:01 PM
Hotel Changes for FanimeCon 2014

For FanimeCon 2014, we are trying something different in order to make booking a hotel room less of a headache and more fair for our attendees. It is now going to be a requirement for our attendees to have a FanimeCon 2014 membership in order to book a hotel room.

Woah, woah, woah. What?!

So now we're punishing attendees who don't happen to have cash in hand right now from registering from a hotel room? This makes sense to you how?! Hotel rooms sell out fast and not everyone is just sitting on enough cash to pay their badge registration fees right now. You're going to start excluding a HUGE number of your attendees. How is not having your badge suddenly grounds from excluding you from convention planning and hotel registration?

I'm sorry if this isn't exactly a coherent thought. But I've been attending Fanime for over 10 years and I LOVE this con. But this sort of thing feels like I just got sucker punched.

This is why we wanted to get this posted and highlighted as soon as possible. This is no way an attempt to punish *any* of our attendees that are trying to get a hotel room for themselves. This is an unfortunate change to prevent a loophole that some were using to reserve up to a dozen rooms by themselves and then attempting to resell or just cancel the room at the last second, which was causing a bunch of our members to be unable to reserve a room for themselves.

The hotel deposit won't be put onto your account until a month or so before the convention.

I'm not even worried about a deposit. I'm talking about the fact that hotels (especially those that are more desirable) are gone within minutes. And it's a known fact there are not enough hotel rooms for every single one of your attendees. So again, if you don't have $55 right now, or within the next 7 days, expect to be excluded from this benefit, no matter how well you've been trying to pay attention and be proactive about your planning. NEVERMIND the rest of you that are dependent on an AA table confirmation or Swap Meet.

Why can't you just implement the 2 room requirement to combat this problem? Rather than forcing the rest of us to get pushed aside?

Why are you not responding to this quote, some of us don't have money right now to pay for the prereg are going to be screwed over in the hotel. I understand the two room requirement but giving us one week to suddenly shell out 55 dollars is ridiculous. You also didn't bother to respond to this at all and answered everyone else.
~~ simply crazy x_X~

davidnguyen408

My wife pre-reg for her badge and she didn't get an email with a confirmation number yet... and I'm freaking out

Motoko

This FAQ doesn't address anything for those that paid at con in 2013 FOR 2014.
Of course we have our yellow receipt...is that proof enough?
I would like to know something more about this for those that paid at con for this year, last year.
Any information would be helpful.
Please let us know.

Weiss Schwarz

I have yet to get my email conformation either. I see the amount for the registration has been deducted from my bank account though. Perhaps it's lag, but I find it weird someone earlier mentioned they didn't get their email but someone else in their family did when they registered. I'm pretty patient though, so I don't mind waiting.

If it matters, I registered shortly after the registration site went live, I'd guess no more than 30 minutes.

Motoko: Are you referring to this in the opening post?

QuoteQ: I Pre-registered at the convention last year and was wondering how I am able to confirm that.

A: FanimeCon's Pre-Registration from the last day of FanimeCon 2013 accounts will be loaded into the server soon.

CobaltTempest

The section "Hotel Changes for FanimeCon 2014" has me quite concerned, and other people have tried to demand answers for a similar question but to no avail.

As the person for my group designated to reserve the room once the site goes up next week (since I will most likely be the one who will be up early enough to do so and have experience doing it), I would like to address that I typically attend conventions on a press registration on behalf of Mission Start Podcast, and from my past experience with this convention, Press Registration does not go live until around less than 2 months prior to the event if I recall correctly, well past the time to book a good room. I also checked the registration link, and of course, it is obviously not intended for press/industry registration. That said, how would attendees intending to register via professional registration be able to book hotel rooms as soon as the housing website goes online?
Facebook | World Cosplay

Kujo Jotaro - "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure"
Kiryūin Satsuki - "Kill La Kill"
Champion Cynthia - Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum

Motoko

@ Weiss Schwarz - thanks a lot...for some reason I didn't see it when I read it over the first few times.
Sneaky information...hahaha~
Thank you again =)

renalcul

Am i able to reserve a hotel room with a debit card? If so when would holds be put on my account?

Alternatively, am i able to make a reservation with a credit card that is under a family member's name (who is not going) and change payment options at a later point before the convention?

Xia

I know I'm not the only one having issues with the group registration. I created a group account (and think I'm supposed to get an email confirmation, but haven't...) and once I log in, I can't start adding members to register. Should I just contact reg department or are they fixing it at the moment?

sael

Quote from: Xia on February 04, 2014, 03:17:05 AM
I know I'm not the only one having issues with the group registration. I created a group account (and think I'm supposed to get an email confirmation, but haven't...) and once I log in, I can't start adding members to register. Should I just contact reg department or are they fixing it at the moment?

I'm having a similar problem. I've added people to my group and am ready to pay, but I am not getting an option to choose who is picking the badges up; should I assume it is me as I was the first in the group?

phr34kish

Quote from: athenaookami on February 03, 2014, 10:35:22 PM
Quote from: phr34kish on February 03, 2014, 04:23:50 PM

For FanimeCon 2014, we are trying something different in order to make booking a hotel room less of a headache and more fair for our attendees. It is now going to be a requirement for our attendees to have a FanimeCon 2014 membership in order to book a hotel room.

Woah, woah, woah. What?!

So now we're punishing attendees who don't happen to have cash in hand right now from registering from a hotel room? This makes sense to you how?! Hotel rooms sell out fast and not everyone is just sitting on enough cash to pay their badge registration fees right now. You're going to start excluding a HUGE number of your attendees. How is not having your badge suddenly grounds from excluding you from convention planning and hotel registration?

I'm sorry if this isn't exactly a coherent thought. But I've been attending Fanime for over 10 years and I LOVE this con. But this sort of thing feels like I just got sucker punched.

This is why we wanted to get this posted and highlighted as soon as possible. This is no way an attempt to punish *any* of our attendees that are trying to get a hotel room for themselves. This is an unfortunate change to prevent a loophole that some were using to reserve up to a dozen rooms by themselves and then attempting to resell or just cancel the room at the last second, which was causing a bunch of our members to be unable to reserve a room for themselves.

The hotel deposit won't be put onto your account until a month or so before the convention.

I'm not even worried about a deposit. I'm talking about the fact that hotels (especially those that are more desirable) are gone within minutes. And it's a known fact there are not enough hotel rooms for every single one of your attendees. So again, if you don't have $55 right now, or within the next 7 days, expect to be excluded from this benefit, no matter how well you've been trying to pay attention and be proactive about your planning. NEVERMIND the rest of you that are dependent on an AA table confirmation or Swap Meet.

Why can't you just implement the 2 room requirement to combat this problem? Rather than forcing the rest of us to get pushed aside?

Why are you not responding to this quote, some of us don't have money right now to pay for the prereg are going to be screwed over in the hotel. I understand the two room requirement but giving us one week to suddenly shell out 55 dollars is ridiculous. You also didn't bother to respond to this at all and answered everyone else.

I noticed that while I'm going unanswered here on the forums, someone from the official Fanime Facebook group did say this yesterday:

QuoteHi everyone,
If you are not going through attendee registration, there are going to be rooms set aside for you. Information for this is going to be posted soon, so please don't panic.

Leaving us with more "non answers" is only going to make the problem worse, and leave more people upset. Don't panic? We were given less than a week's notice, and now without answers we're down to six days. By "not going through attendee registration", I'm going to assume staff, since that's really the only number you can account for (from what I understand, PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.) That's still leaving anyone dependent on Artist Alley, Swap Meet, Panelists and Press left high and dry. Do you have rooms set aside for all of them as well?

limDsage

Quote from: renalcul on February 04, 2014, 03:16:38 AM
Am i able to reserve a hotel room with a debit card? If so when would holds be put on my account?

Alternatively, am i able to make a reservation with a credit card that is under a family member's name (who is not going) and change payment options at a later point before the convention?

You can reserve with a debit card, but it's not really recommended. They won't charge you until you check in, if I recall..

Twitter: @limDsage
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/sicse7en
Youtube gaming channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/limDsage
PSN: sicse7en

God91125

Quote from: kookiekween99 on February 03, 2014, 04:22:24 PM

Woah, woah, woah. What?!

Do you need to have paid for your registration (badge) to be able to reserve a hotel? Or do you just need to be in the reg system?

Would really love an answer for this question cause like many others. I made a group and registered the people but I currently haven't paid for it yet. So would I need to pay for everybody before I can reserve a hotel room?

SOawesomeness

Unfortunately I do not have all the answers and cannot speak for these changes.

Quote from: sael on February 04, 2014, 06:47:48 AM

I'm having a similar problem. I've added people to my group and am ready to pay, but I am not getting an option to choose who is picking the badges up; should I assume it is me as I was the first in the group?

When testing these features, I found that the first person who was signed up is the group leader. Though if you want to switch the group leader or have questions about the registration system, please e-mail [email protected]. As far as I know, e-mails had been delayed last night. If you have not received it since then, please request another e-mail to be sent to you.

Quote from: Weiss Schwarz on February 04, 2014, 12:10:36 AM
I have yet to get my email conformation either. I see the amount for the registration has been deducted from my bank account though. Perhaps it's lag, but I find it weird someone earlier mentioned they didn't get their email but someone else in their family did when they registered. I'm pretty patient though, so I don't mind waiting.

If it matters, I registered shortly after the registration site went live, I'd guess no more than 30 minutes.

Motoko: Are you referring to this in the opening post?

QuoteQ: I Pre-registered at the convention last year and was wondering how I am able to confirm that.

A: FanimeCon's Pre-Registration from the last day of FanimeCon 2013 accounts will be loaded into the server soon.
We will try to get that information to you as soon as possible.

Quote from: renalcul on February 04, 2014, 03:16:38 AM

You should be able to, but please contact [email protected] for further confirmation.

QuoteHi everyone,
If you are not going through attendee registration, there are going to be rooms set aside for you. Information for this is going to be posted soon, so please don't panic.

Leaving us with more "non answers" is only going to make the problem worse, and leave more people upset. Don't panic? We were given less than a week's notice, and now without answers we're down to six days. By "not going through attendee registration", I'm going to assume staff, since that's really the only number you can account for (from what I understand, PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.) That's still leaving anyone dependent on Artist Alley, Swap Meet, Panelists and Press left high and dry. Do you have rooms set aside for all of them as well?
I do not know the answer to this but it is confirmed that we do have rooms set aside for such members.

As for all the other questions, I would appreciate all questions to be directed to clarification of the FAQ. If you have any questions that may be more appropriately addressed in email, please shoot us an email at registrationATfanimeDOTcom.

If you have specific questions about the CMR registration system, and specifically, your account, please e-mail [email protected] for assistance.
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

kookiekween99

Do you have pop ups blocked? This is one of those annoying websites that relies on pop ups.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

Shinsengumi

What about those that registered on the last day of Fanime 2013? Cause we need the registration confirmation to get the hotel rooms. I don't know mine yet.
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

SOawesomeness

Quote from: Shinsengumi on February 04, 2014, 01:53:08 PM
What about those that registered on the last day of Fanime 2013? Cause we need the registration confirmation to get the hotel rooms. I don't know mine yet.
We will get you those as soon as possible. I've inquired about it and will announce the information once I get everything confirmed.
Ellie S.
Head of Registration

kookiekween99

I asked about the issue with reg and hotels, and according to this, you do need a paid badge.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

SquishyK

Quote from: sael on February 03, 2014, 07:48:47 PM

Does the name on the card being used to book a hotel room have to match the name on the Fanime membership used to book it?  My roommate, who isn't considering getting a badge at this time, has offered to charge the room bill to her card since I'm charging a bunch of badges to mine.

The card number that you enter now to book the room is not necessary the one that will be charged. The hotel will not charge you or put a hold on your card until you check in at the hotel. At which point you should be able to use a different card if desired. However, if you cancel after the deadline and they charge you a cancelation fee it will likely be to the card you used to book the room.
I sell cute and geeky polymer clay jewelry!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SquishyKreations
http://squishykreations.tumblr.com

Tested/MythBusters:
"Failure is always an option"
"Try again, fail again, fail better"
"Art is never finished, only abandoned"

Beastcub

Will being part of a group membership affect one's ability to book a room? Will only the group leader be able to book a room?

I ask because in the past I have been the one to do the group membership for the 7+ family and friends who attend with me, but I will not be the group leader (my 18 year old nice has volunteered to stand in line) and of the 7+ of us we are booking 3 rooms...

The last thing I want to do is set up the group membership and find out only my niece can book rooms.

SOawesomeness

Quote from: Beastcub on February 04, 2014, 03:24:06 PM
Will being part of a group membership affect one's ability to book a room? Will only the group leader be able to book a room?

I ask because in the past I have been the one to do the group membership for the 7+ family and friends who attend with me, but I will not be the group leader (my 18 year old nice has volunteered to stand in line) and of the 7+ of us we are booking 3 rooms...

The last thing I want to do is set up the group membership and find out only my niece can book rooms.
Please get into contact with [email protected] about your predicament. They are the experts on Housing/booking rooms and can give you the best and latest information about it!
Ellie S.
Head of Registration