Having fun at Fanime WITHOUT cosplaying?

Started by naisukachi, February 09, 2014, 11:35:04 PM

naisukachi

I've been insisting my friends to go to Fanime this year and they've been talking about it with others who have been telling them it just isn't fun if you're not cosplaying. I've personally went to Fanime without cosplaying and I had a great time regardless, but when I was asked what I did, I didn't know what to say. What types of things are there to do if you aren't cosplaying? Anyone else not cosplay and still have fun??

Admiral Donuts

...just tell them what you did? Do you not remember what you did?

Imperial

I went in  my first year without cosplaying, I had fun going to the gatherings, as watching some of the insane things that happen for the gatherings, just has the assassin's creed gathering blendwalking accross the con to the other gathering spot. theres the gaming lounge, theres gatherings, theres going to hentai nights with a jar of Mayo (only rumor, but sounds Hilarious.), there is a lot there. and you Dont have to cosplay. there should be no pressure to cosplay, but its welcomed if you do cosplay.

naisukachi

@Admiral Donuts- I don't remember what I did because there wasn't really anything specific that blew my mind or anything, I just walked around and enjoyed the good vibes, but when I say it like that it sounds kinda boring.

@tjimmy2- Thank you for your response! I'll surely tell them about some of those they can check out. (:

phr34kish

I've never cosplayed, and I've been going for years. Yes, there are tons of gatherings and group events for people IN cosplay, but there's just as much for those without it. Karaoke, Dance Parties/Raves, there's the Masquerade, watch the AMV competition, anything in the game room. I don't know if they do it every year, but I remember there being tabletop gaming rooms in the past. And then there are the dozens of panels and viewing rooms - all of that can be fun with or without a costume.

Gwydion

If you are really into cosplay, it can feel like you're being left out and something is missing if you aren't cosplaying at a con. I've felt that myself. However if you're not into cosplay, or it's no big deal to you then you're going to have fun either way. Sounds more like the others can't see beyond themselves.

heeroyuy135

As much as I would love to cosplay throughout the con, there are times when I feel like taking my cosplay off and rocking a SnK or Resident Evil shirt. Even then, there are sights for you to see and experience regardless of what you're wearing.

keitoghostie

I gotta say, the days I've been out of cosplay have been much more relaxing - I feel more like an observer than a participant though?
That said, I think I have almost as much fun either way! No matter what I'm still meeting with friends, visiting cool panels, and checking out the halls usually!

Glitch

Are your friends aware that Fanime isn't just one giant cosplay gathering?
There is a lot to do.

limDsage

There is always something to do at Fanime. Cosplaying is just one of them. :D

Twitter: @limDsage
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/sicse7en
Youtube gaming channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/limDsage
PSN: sicse7en

Kahluah

I have always brought a costume for each day, but there have been times where I was just done with wearing it and rocked some normal clothes. The convention is fun no matter what, the only thing you really miss out on if you don't cosplay is people commenting on your cosplay (which could be good or bad depending on what they say).

Anix

Cosplaying is fun and all, but there was one time I was rocking an awesome costume and I couldnt move more than 5ft every 10mins because of everyone wanting to take pictures. Ended up missing out on the panel I was trying to get to. There are pros and cons to all things.
We are a little mad here.
The question is are you going to use your powers for good or for awesome

mikasa-san

I think Fanime is fun and enjoyable whether you're cosplaying or not. It's definitely not a requirement for the convention and everyone is welcome. The atmosphere of the con is always so friendly! ^_^
FANIME 2015 COSPLAYS:
Maleficent
Poland (for Gong Show)

Kahluah

Quote from: Anix on February 10, 2014, 11:52:58 PM
Cosplaying is fun and all, but there was one time I was rocking an awesome costume and I couldnt move more than 5ft every 10mins because of everyone wanting to take pictures. Ended up missing out on the panel I was trying to get to. There are pros and cons to all things.

I am not usually stopped that often, but it is happening more and more in more condensed time periods and they usually happen at the worst time possible. Like before panels or on the way to the bathroom.

otakuya

You don't need to cosplay. People know why you are attending an anime convention, to have fun!

However, it would seem that cosplayers get the attention, obviously for pictures. But if you don't mind not getting the attention, just wear normal clothes and you're ok. There were times where I cosplayed and never got pictures (ironic, though I didn't want the attention...)

Roguemagus

The gaming hall especially doesn't have a lot of regulars in cosplay and it's really good. One of my favorite Fanime moments is getting hype over Marvel 3 with a bunch of cool people.

You can go to gatherings in plainclothes, and talk to a bunch of people who are fans of the same thing you are.

Panels, video rooms, and karaoke are all really fun too.

Purelovely

While it is fun to cosplay it is definitely not a requirement to have fun at a convention. I usually have at least one day or 1/2 a day that I don't cosplay and I still have a great time. Sometimes it's even easier and better because it can be pretty tricky to walk around in a crowded con.
Fanime Con 2018 Cosplay:
Fri: No cosplay
Sat: ??
Sun: No cosplay
Mon: No cosplay because I'm going to Disneyland!

Hachimitsu

the only drawback with cosplay is either the wig kinda tends to get into my eyes alot or that everytime i need to be somewhere i had to stop, pose for a very long time. usually its just one person then some how multiply by 3... it's fun but its very stressful for me to create an action pose to please everyone   ^ ^!...

all in all, whatever you feel like (cosplay or no cosplay), the main thing is having fun in your own way

CielloRegalo

This makes me SO sad. I have been going to cons for 4 years and I have never ever worn a full complete cosplay. I've been working on some for a few years and find it hard to pull together with money and also the fact that i don't sew! Honestly I go to cons to enjoy SEEING people in awesome cosplays and I take pictures :) I do sometimes get sad when I am in a group of an anime I love and not in cosplay cause they can't tell by looking at me in my normal clothes that I really like Homestuck( or Attack on Titan or Final Fantasy, ext!) but all you have to do is be friendly and talk and you can make friends :) I am SO sad that people would not only be upset at not having a cosplay ready but straight up not go to a convention just because of that.
You can tell them you're working on a cosplay and they'll be excited and want to know how you're going about it and maybe give advise you need (I need the advise! D: ) and most of all just making friends that have the same interests as you.

Hiroshi

This will be my second year going, but I still am not going to cosplay. I had a blast last year in my regular attire, and plan on doing so again. :)