When should rooms open up?

Started by Emma Iveli, February 10, 2014, 10:57:50 AM

Emma Iveli

I was in charge of booking the room for me and my friends... however I ended up spacing and there no rooms available for the con. I can't stay at the far away hotels because I'm physically disabled and can't wait long for shuttles.

I remember a couple years ago rooms would open up again, when should that happen?

mikasa-san

Currently the hotels near the convention such as Hilton and Marriott are booking for Saturday and Sunday only. I recommend booking ahead of time to avoid rooms being completely sold out.
FANIME 2015 COSPLAYS:
Maleficent
Poland (for Gong Show)

Xia

From my personal experience, emailing people in charge at [email protected] had been helpful. I say email them and explain your condition, and hopefully they can arrange accommodations via waitlisting, etc. Best of luck!

DangerHeart

Try calling the number for housing and getting put on a waiting list for a hotel closer to the con. Email can take at least 24 hours or longer since rooms just went up. I think you need a reservation at an existing hotel already to get on the list, but from what I hear a lot of rooms open up closer to the room cancellation date in April so its worth a shot. I did it two years ago and got the room I wanted around mid April. I recommend doing it today so your as high up on the waiting list as possible.

Emma Iveli

I only missed it by 20 minutes... I only moiussed ut by 20 minutes...

Every single hotel is booked even off fanime housing site...

I can't get in contact with my friends...

my dad called and he they wouldn't put me on the watinign list...

I can't rely on the shuttles and taxis...

Everyone was cousting on me... for 20 minutes... How can I miss it... even with the crash...

I shiould waren everyone I am bi-polar... and I have no idea what I'm going to do...  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

mikasa-san

Quote from: Emma Iveli on February 10, 2014, 12:17:51 PM

Everyone was cousting on me... for 20 minutes... How can I miss it... even with the crash...

I shiould waren everyone I am bi-polar... and I have no idea what I'm going to do...  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
First and foremost remaining calm is imperative. Secondly hotels closer to the San Jose airport like DoubleTree are still taking reservations. I completed mine not too long ago without any issues.

After you do that you can call FanimeHousing and request to be put on a waiting list for a hotel closer to the convention center. I requested this and the person I spoke with said that being placed on a wait list is no issue. Anyone telling you they cannot put you on a waiting list isn't giving you accurate information.

Also!!! Room-sharing is still an option. I am waiting for my friends to respond to my messages about the roomshare situation but I am still somewhat taking applications for roomsharing at the DoubleTree where I can also provide transportation to and from the convention center. I've made a post in the "Roommates" thread for those seeking more information, or you can message me directly. Hell, if you even just want to chat and de-stress I am always available.

FANIME 2015 COSPLAYS:
Maleficent
Poland (for Gong Show)

Emma Iveli

Quote from: mikasa-san on February 10, 2014, 12:41:40 PM
Quote from: Emma Iveli on February 10, 2014, 12:17:51 PM

First and foremost remaining calm is imperative. Secondly hotels closer to the San Jose airport like DoubleTree are still taking reservations. I completed mine not too long ago without any issues.

After you do that you can call FanimeHousing and request to be put on a waiting list for a hotel closer to the convention center. I requested this and the person I spoke with said that being placed on a wait list is no issue. Anyone telling you they cannot put you on a waiting list isn't giving you accurate information.

Also!!! Room-sharing is still an option. I am waiting for my friends to respond to my messages about the roomshare situation but I am still somewhat taking applications for roomsharing at the DoubleTree where I can also provide transportation to and from the convention center. I've made a post in the "Roommates" thread for those seeking more information, or you can message me directly. Hell, if you even just want to chat and de-stress I am always available.

There is no waiting list... there is no waiting list. When my dad called they did even mention the waiting list to him...

Gwydion

Did he call Fanime Housing...or did he call the hotel? 'Cause the hotel's gonna know nothing.

You need to call this number (800) 924-4232 or email [email protected] to get on the waiting list.

Emma Iveli

Quote from: Gwydion on February 10, 2014, 12:48:15 PM
Did he call Fanime Housing...or did he call the hotel? 'Cause the hotel's gonna know nothing.

You need to call this number (800) 924-4232 or email [email protected] to get on the waiting list.

He called fanime housing... form what I heard they only offered to book one of the far away hotels and nothing more...

mikasa-san

I called 5 minutes ago the number (800-924-4232) and the lady I spoke with informed me that she could place me on a waiting list. A few friends of mine have also made that phone call and received the same information.

Perhaps try calling again and specifically asking if they could put you on the waiting list???

Has anyone else had issues with calling and not being able to be put on the wait list? I'm wondering if it was my friends and I who received false information or perhaps you just got connected to someone who didn't have a lot of information? It has to be one or the other because the woman I spoke with took my info for a waiting list.

FANIME 2015 COSPLAYS:
Maleficent
Poland (for Gong Show)

Emma Iveli

Emma Iveli

I can't be put on the wait list unless I book a hotel... but I can't book a hotel far away...

phr34kish

Reserving a hotel room doesn't mean you're paying right now. And if you're going, you're gonna need a place to stay, regardless of if it's close to the convention center or not. Your safest bet would be to just reserve the hotel room where it's available, and then get on the waiting list for the one you want. You have until April to change your mind and cancel your reservation if you don't get moved off the waiting list or decide you can't go.

Emma Iveli

I booked the doubltetree... and my dad put me on the waiting list... hopefully I'll get a room through there...

Hachimitsu

Quote from: Emma Iveli on February 10, 2014, 02:30:59 PM
I booked the doubltetree... and my dad put me on the waiting list... hopefully I'll get a room through there...

yeah apparently I got the hilton by luck because seriously this was a shock to me that the website housing shuts down not once but twice before i can manage to get the hilton. then i tried agian to get one for my sister (girls and boys room and such) and by then marriot was gone, then an error came saying I was from ALBANIA! tried again, used my card, and i got an error and says I should call housing administrations (but their phone lines are busy). by then hilton is sold out and i wanted hyatt! since i was desperate! very lucky but i lost thursday!

I really hope you get in through the waitlist because you get the higher advantage over everyone else.

on the bright side, at least its not as bad as when the hotels was Screwed up and people who thought the main page supposed to open, people from facebook / twitter had the back door entrance!

Yura

If you didn't get a room, I suggest you getting on that wait list. The wait list usually start handing out rooms around early march-april depending how many people are canceling their rooms. If you're also calling to be on the wait list, ask them for what your wait list number is.  I've experienced this before, and it's not that bad. Hopefully those who are on the wait list or planning to will get their rooms.

rafaela

I was on waitlist in a previous year and stressed that I wouldn't get a hotel close by the convention center. Waited and waited... when the hotel cancellation deadline approached in April, spots finally opened up then and I got my room at the Fairmont ^^. Hopefully it will be the same for some of you with the same predicament.

DangerHeart

Quote from: Hachimitsu-ink on February 10, 2014, 02:39:14 PM
Quote from: Emma Iveli on February 10, 2014, 02:30:59 PM

yeah apparently I got the hilton by luck because seriously this was a shock to me that the website housing shuts down not once but twice before i can manage to get the hilton. then i tried agian to get one for my sister (girls and boys room and such) and by then marriot was gone, then an error came saying I was from ALBANIA! tried again, used my card, and i got an error and says I should call housing administrations (but their phone lines are busy). by then hilton is sold out and i wanted hyatt! since i was desperate! very lucky but i lost thursday!

I really hope you get in through the waitlist because you get the higher advantage over everyone else.

on the bright side, at least its not as bad as when the hotels was Screwed up and people who thought the main page supposed to open, people from facebook / twitter had the back door entrance!

Having the fanime main site/facebook/and twitter open at the same time is pretty much the only reason I got my groups rooms last year........sometimes I'm happy I'm overly cautious.

heeroyuy135

I just got my Thursday room at the Marriott from the waitlist. The rooms are starting to trickle out me thinks.

Metriosity

Last year a friend of mine, who had never attended the con before, decided in April that she wanted to go. I warned her that the hotel rooms had sold out in ten minutes. However, she went direct to the Marriott and managed to book two adjoining rooms.

I know it's a bit of a risk, but perhaps you could try that before the hotel cancellation deadline for the hotel you are in if you aren't allocated a room before hand.

She just told the hotel she was a regular, non con, guest. Her room rate was about $10 more than what we were paying per night.

If that doesn't work, I can vouch that the Double Tree is a nice hotel. They have great cookies at the front desk if you ask for some, the shuttle bus runs pretty regular and doesn't take that long. Plus, the Steampunk Con is pretty cool to hang around at.