Complaints for housing

Started by NetBelleAnie, February 10, 2014, 08:34:27 PM

Kahluah

Quote from: DangerHeart on February 18, 2014, 02:35:55 PM
Quote from: firstcultural on February 18, 2014, 12:51:14 AM
Artist Alley has had this problem of selling out within minutes and crashing the server for a few years now.  During that time the price of Artist Alley has about doubled.   I would not be surprised if the same happens with the hotel rooms, which seem to have not changed in price for a while and are cheap compared to other conventions.  #bayareahousing

Every year I book my groups rooms I'm prepared for a price jump, its gotta happen eventually.

Personally I am not so concerned with a price jump as the lack of rooms. Like hopefully next year I can be online when rooms open or call housing, but the lack of housing arrangements is both concerning and disappointing.

kyunaHARU

i think fanime should increase the prices for their near con hotels like fairmont, marriott, hilton, and st claire.

there are other hotel options, motel 6, double tree, and elan which could have the same prices to encourage people not to overflood the near con hotels???

just a suggestion i dunno

brohamjeff

Ultimately there are just too many attendees than housing available. 

I think for next year they should encourage other nearby hotels to participate with fanime housing (although I am sure nearby hotels have no problem booking that weekend, anyway)

Pre-reg attendees should get priority registration for hotels

Hotel sign up should be limited to one room per person (or account holders credit card, etc).  I know this would be a huge complaint for those who group book, but it would make it fair across the board and prevent room hoarding.  Also, people have a year to save money and figure this out, and months from the time you book a hotel before any funds are touched on your card.  Just be responsible. 

sjamison1427

I always get nervous when it comes down to arranging for Fanime housing. I live in Massachusets and I attend Fanime to visit my little sister and to take a vacation. I had a really hard time booking a hotel this year for the con and I'm on a wait list. I had a lot of trouble with the site and I am wondering if it is because of my location on the east coast?
Fanime 2014 Cosplays
========================
Watson - Sherlock Holmes
Ichigo  - Bleach
Zorro [lost a bet!]

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: sjamison1427 on March 02, 2014, 09:37:06 PM
I always get nervous when it comes down to arranging for Fanime housing. I live in Massachusets and I attend Fanime to visit my little sister and to take a vacation. I had a really hard time booking a hotel this year for the con and I'm on a wait list. I had a lot of trouble with the site and I am wondering if it is because of my location on the east coast?

Nah, everybody had problems with it.

echoshadow

Quote from: kyunaHARU on March 02, 2014, 12:06:47 PM
i think fanime should increase the prices for their near con hotels like fairmont, marriott, hilton, and st claire.

there are other hotel options, motel 6, double tree, and elan which could have the same prices to encourage people not to overflood the near con hotels???

just a suggestion i dunno
That will not make any change at all. People would spend more just to be near the con. The only one that would hurt is people that with not enough money.

Quote from: sjamison1427 on March 02, 2014, 09:37:06 PM
No it does not matter if your on the east coast. Their are a few problems about Fanime's housing. The biggest problems is the simple truth, Fanime has grown twice its size in attendance over the last 3 years.

The other major problem is the attendees themselves causing the problem.
Common example is a group of 6 friends. They all book a room or two when the hotels go up. So that's 5 rooms that they won't need and 5 rooms that are unavailable for everyone else.
So that leave the rest of us on a wait list. Now this won't not be as bad if they where more considerate and cancel the rest of the rooms once they know someone got a room, but they don't they wait to the last day to cancel with out being charged. And That's when a lot of people happen to get rooms.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

sjamison1427

Quote from: Admiral Donuts on March 02, 2014, 10:22:49 PM
Nah, everybody had problems with it.
Ahhh, good to know! I kept worrying it was my terrible internet connection hahaha.  :)
Fanime 2014 Cosplays
========================
Watson - Sherlock Holmes
Ichigo  - Bleach
Zorro [lost a bet!]

Firefury Amahira

My group has yet to manage staying on-site for Fanime, though not for lack of trying this year! Given the ongoing issues with it though, as annoying as it is to have to drive over and deal with parking, I suspect we'll probably stick to staying off-site for the forseeable future. On the plus side, that way there's less of the crush trying to use elevators that you get on-site, and less of the party crowd noise in the evenings; and our group of 5 snagged a two-bedroom+sofabed suite with full kitchen at one of the Marriot collection of hotels a few miles away for a pretty decent price. (About $250 total per person for 5 nights since we drive up on Day Zero and leave the day after the con.) Probably saves a small fortune in food too, since we'll be able to cook our own meals instead of eating out all the time, and that savings should more than offset the cost of parking at the con center each day.

On the downside... yeah, parking situation basically means you get over to the con center fairly early and you stay until everything you wanna do for that day is done, without the refuge of being able to duck into a mostly quiet hotel room for a break. Though I gotta admit, Fanime does at least have a whole lot of reasonably less-noisy places to duck into for escaping the crowd for a little while. So for our group at least, staying off-site actually still works out better overall than on-site.
"Fandom should be fun!" - Firefury Amahira
--
Looking for help writing fanfiction?