Complaints for housing

Started by NetBelleAnie, February 10, 2014, 08:34:27 PM

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: phr34kish on February 12, 2014, 01:42:37 PM
Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on February 12, 2014, 01:23:43 PM
Did anyone notice that the $88 Hilton wasn't available when Housing opened up Monday?

They admitted on their Facebook that the $88.00 room was a typo in their initial announcement - there weren't actually any rooms at the Hilton for that price.

lol didnt that happen last year too?

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Glitch

A way to make the badge idea work is to push hotel registration to maybe early April, and have every type of badge registration available way,way before. By that time, people are a little more sure if they are going. I bet there is a crap load of people currently getting a room "just in case" they might go.

Of course I could be wrong, but just an idea.

Dracil

Quote from: Admiral Donuts on February 12, 2014, 05:45:09 PM
Quote from: Dracil on February 12, 2014, 04:13:18 PM
But the point I was trying to make is that if they're tying housing to badges AND they are literally the ones in control of deciding LOL YOU LOSE at housing (as opposed to your own personal circumstances), then they need to be willing to start offering refunds if people can't get housing after buying their badges.  This is why the lottery idea is just completely stupid.

Yes it is completely stupid to try and give everyone who wants to attend Fanime a fair chance to get a room.

A housing lottery that costs an unrefundable $55 (for the badge) that students, underage people, or other people with tight budgets have to pay first and possibly get nothing in return (because now they got no housing and can't attend) is fair?  You have a weird definition of fair and yes, that is completely stupid.

But maybe you should try reading and responding to the whole post, including the part where I give a better way of implementing a housing lottery system that doesn't require an unrefundable $55 to gamble so you aren't punishing people with tight budgets under your "fair" system.  But there's still the general problem that lottery systems can be pretty easily gamed if you're willing to do the work/pay.

Fanime is not the only con with a huge resource shortage.  PAX has a huge badge shortage+scalper/counterfeiting problem and there was a big thread right after PAX Prime last year with people arguing back and forth.  The reality is there's no truly "fair" system that will make things better.  All people are really doing is picking which subset of people to exclude (usually people will suggest a system that increase their own perceived chances), and the only true solution is to increase the availability somehow.  Which is why I've said (I think in another thread) it's time for Clockwork Alchemy to be its own thing held at a different time and free up those hotel spots for Fanime.

Hachimitsu

actualy i think the one thing fanime needs is to support disabilities or those who need assistance.

I already felt sad for a few users who couldn't register for the hotel and have to gamble their own time to obtain a hotel slot!

I think artist alley has done this and that is good so now housing needs to have this as well!

Emma Iveli

Quote from: Hachimitsu-ink on February 13, 2014, 02:13:03 PM
actualy i think the one thing fanime needs is to support disabilities or those who need assistance.

I already felt sad for a few users who couldn't register for the hotel and have to gamble their own time to obtain a hotel slot!

I think artist alley has done this and that is good so now housing needs to have this as well!

I don't know if that's a good idea.

I'm physically disabled (a combination of MD, bad knee and a bad ankle) and I got stuck with the Doubletree (but I'm the waiting list for the connecting hotels and the Fairmont).

How can they prove that the person is disabled over the internet? People can always lie...

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: Dracil on February 13, 2014, 01:30:51 PM
But maybe you should try reading and responding to the whole post, including the part where I give a better way of implementing a housing lottery system that doesn't require an unrefundable $55 to gamble so you aren't punishing people with tight budgets under your "fair" system.  But there's still the general problem that lottery systems can be pretty easily gamed if you're willing to do the work/pay.

The non-refundable gamble is coming regardless.

Imperial

Quote from: Emma Iveli on February 13, 2014, 02:23:20 PM

I don't know if that's a good idea.

I'm physically disabled (a combination of MD, bad knee and a bad ankle) and I got stuck with the Doubletree (but I'm the waiting list for the connecting hotels and the Fairmont).

How can they prove that the person is disabled over the internet? People can always lie...
Well, you could, if you had say a disabled parking placard IN YOUR NAME, they could look it up back to you via the number on your permit, and thus proving it, but then again it could be fudged.

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: tjimmy2 on February 13, 2014, 06:27:03 PM
Well, you could, if you had say a disabled parking placard IN YOUR NAME, they could look it up back to you via the number on your permit, and thus proving it, but then again it could be fudged.

Can it? If you had to register for a badge, pick up that badge with your ID, and have that name on the placard?

Tsu

Quote from: Admiral Donuts on February 13, 2014, 06:49:38 PM

Can it? If you had to register for a badge, pick up that badge with your ID, and have that name on the placard?

The problem with this is that at least CA placards don't generally have names on them, just ID numbers. So Fanime would need the ability to look up disabled placard IDs to make sure the person using it was actually who it was registered to, or you can guarantee people will "borrow" placards from friends/family to get badges without waiting or prime hotels. And if folks can counterfit badges, they can counterfit placards, especially with months advance notice, so again checking the ID# would be necessary and yet not really plausible. It would also pose a problem for those who have disabled plates, not placards.

I suppose the hotels could refrain from leasing out their disabled-capable rooms except to those who need them, but there wouldn't be enough and I doubt they'd do it.
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019

Kahluah

It would be totally cool if they could do that, but the idea just seems very difficult. I have back problems that are enough for the government and stuff to consider me legally disabled and I would love it if I could get closer parking, but I don't see that happening.

Anix

What most people don't know about the placards is that there is a certificate from the DMV that comes with it that says the disability and who it belongs to. With that said outside of a law enforcement officer under the scope of their job it's not really ok for people to request it.

Unfortunately the disabled band wagon has been jumped on by so many people that feel entitled even places like Disneyland have had to do re-evaluations of their policies. Due to this it's hard for those that legitmately need it to be able to use it.
We are a little mad here.
The question is are you going to use your powers for good or for awesome

NetBelleAnie

The problem there is not all people with disabilities are given handicapped placards, while having a disabled placard is not always proof one is disabled.  Some doctors hand out placards like candy, while others will not give them out at all.  My mother has had severe back and leg issues her entire life and only was able to get a placard after explaining she could walk less than 30 feet without pain, while her coworker was able to get one by filling out paperwork and having her doctor sign it, when she was previously known for hiking 4 miles around mountain lakes, and still enjoys 1 mile hikes after she had hip replacement surgery.  The original point of the disabled placard was to assume that the disabled could not travel very far across parking lots and that there was assured room beside the vehicle for the disabled person to get into and out of the vehicle.
Demyx (Kingdom Hearts)
Mabel (Gravity Falls)

mikasa-san

I just wanted to post that for those coming from far away who are tangled up in this whole housing mess. I have a room booked at the DoubleTree for Saturday and Sunday night (with check-out Monday morning) and while I have already filled my roommate quota I do not mind taking in people without a place to sleep in emergency situations.

I mean it! I even have a reliable car for transportation to get you to and from the con if needed. I'll link my FB and my email address for emergency purposes and like I said, if you are completely without a place to sleep and you have no other options I am willing to let you crash with us. There's no bed space but there is the floor and it's locked and secure and being shared by 3 professional women. It's better to have a safe place to sleep than nowhere and I hate seeing people without rooms. My friends couldn't get a room last year and spent the night in the hentai room. That just seems so awful... anyways here's my FB link and my email!

https://www.facebook.com/morgan.parabola
email: [email protected]
FANIME 2015 COSPLAYS:
Maleficent
Poland (for Gong Show)

Barnes

After doing a Google search of hotels on first street, I gotta ask: is anyone getting so desperate for a (guaranteed) room that they'd be willing to go to a place like Motel 6 or E-Z 8 or Hotel Elan? >_>

I had to ask...
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

phr34kish

Quote from: Barnes on February 16, 2014, 06:03:21 PM
After doing a Google search of hotels on first street, I gotta ask: is anyone getting so desperate for a (guaranteed) room that they'd be willing to go to a place like Motel 6 or E-Z 8 or Hotel Elan? >_>

I had to ask...

I'm pretty sure that people do. I've made the trip down that way to Target quite a few times for supply runs and I constantly see people in cosplay walking the street. I dunno if they're hoofing it to Denny's or what, but I'm sure those hotels/motels get booked too.

Nina Star 9

Not really complaints as much as suggestions, as I'm assuming staff members are reading this thread (I hope?):

After this year's housing shortage, and considering that there simply aren't enough rooms downtown to accommodate everyone, is it possible that Fanime could negotiate with more airport hotels (out near the Doubletree/Holiday Inn/Airport Hotel) to get even more rooms? It seems like with more and more Fanime attendees, those hotels are becoming important and very viable (with the shuttle system) housing options for Fanime attendees, not just Clockwork Alchemy attendees, as they seem to have been mostly intended for in past years.

Also, I put this on the shuttle thread, but I'll post it here, too. I don't know how quickly the shuttles have filled up in previous years, but it seems as if more and more Fanime attendees are having to stay in the further hotels, and with the plethora of housing options out in that direction, Fanime may need to run more shuttles more often out in that direction so that everyone will be able to get to the con when they need to. (I'm just imagining a huge shuttle disaster this year where everyone having to stay out further has to wait for two or three shuttles  to come by during peak times in order to get a spot on one...let's hope this isn't the case)

SpiritOfKairi

Quote from: phr34kish on February 17, 2014, 08:57:39 AM

I had to ask...

I'm pretty sure that people do. I've made the trip down that way to Target quite a few times for supply runs and I constantly see people in cosplay walking the street. I dunno if they're hoofing it to Denny's or what, but I'm sure those hotels/motels get booked too.

I'm not sure how many people do, but it does happen.  I've known people who have booked at the America's Best Value Inn a mile away from the center.  The room was cheap, but parking at the CC could get really difficult if they didn't get there early enough, and it wasn't exactly the safest-feeling part of town.  But with how little they were there, it didn't pose a huge problem.  So there are people who will book outside of housing, either because they couldn't get anything there, or because they don't mind being a little further away if it means a cheaper room.

Glitch

I had to ask...
Considering some of them are actually a shorter distance than the doubletree, they do have an advantage to it(although you have to use your own car since no shuttle).
Plus if you literally have no other option, you're kind of stuck with these hotels.

firstcultural

Artist Alley has had this problem of selling out within minutes and crashing the server for a few years now.  During that time the price of Artist Alley has about doubled.   I would not be surprised if the same happens with the hotel rooms, which seem to have not changed in price for a while and are cheap compared to other conventions.  #bayareahousing

DangerHeart

Quote from: firstcultural on February 18, 2014, 12:51:14 AM
Artist Alley has had this problem of selling out within minutes and crashing the server for a few years now.  During that time the price of Artist Alley has about doubled.   I would not be surprised if the same happens with the hotel rooms, which seem to have not changed in price for a while and are cheap compared to other conventions.  #bayareahousing

Every year I book my groups rooms I'm prepared for a price jump, its gotta happen eventually.