Hotel Reservation Options for 2015

Started by Xeluu, February 12, 2014, 09:35:51 PM

Xeluu

Hi all,
First off, anything said here is not meant to be inflammatory, so please don't take it that way.
Each year there are more and more attendees, which mean more and more people wanting rooms. Unfortunately, there are only so many hotels in the area. So one of the major problems is that the website gets throttled each year. I know it's CMR who runs housing so my question is:
Is it possible to pay for additional servers ONLY for the day hotel reservations go up? If CMR is big enough, I would think this would be a possibility.
Additionally:
Is it worth considering using a system similar to Blizzard does for Blizzcon tickets with hotels in releasing them in 2-3 waves? An example would be:
Wave 1: Mon 10AM
Wave 2: Two weeks later, Sat 2PM
Wave 3: One week later Sun 5PM
This would better allow a chance for those who work during the initial time to get a hotel room they want. In theory, it also gives the people who didn't get their first choice hotel to get that one and give up their other reservation.
I know you guys are trying your hardest, and I truly do appreciate it. Just figured I'd throw a few ideas out there.
Thanks all!
2016 Cosplay Plans
Gomamon/Gabumon - Digimon
Jolteon Gijinka - Pokemon
Oogie Boogie - Nightmare Before Christmas

SkylerKarashi

The only provlem i see with doing it this way is thoes who want their hotel for all weekend.
My Cosplay For Fanime 2024:
Thursday: Closet Kaminari/Yuri (BNHA/Yuri On Ice)
Friday: Goth (Boyfriends)
Saturday: Red (Pokemon & Smash Bros)
Sunday: Casual Kaminari (BNHA)
Monday: Goth (Boyfriends)

Anix

Quote from: gary925 on February 12, 2014, 10:38:55 PM
The only provlem i see with doing it this way is thoes who want their hotel for all weekend.

Typically you can get whole weekend, but there are blocks of rooms released at the different times. So if you miss Marriott on the first round but go Fairmont you could try the second time to get Marriott.
We are a little mad here.
The question is are you going to use your powers for good or for awesome

Dracil

Or just do it the AX way.  Open up a few hotels for next year right after con ends.  Then open up more hotels unannounced later on in waves.  They don't cause server overloads that way and that's a bigger con than Fanime and they also use cmrhousing.  But that requires Fanime staff to be *really* on the ball.