Dance playlist?

Started by dangs, February 17, 2014, 02:43:11 PM

dangs

Why isn't there a dance playlist for the Fanime dance? For the black and white ball there is a playlist for the people and we get to put our inputs on which song should be played.

Last year I went to the dance and there was music that could of been played at any club or rave. I didn't enjoy it because I was hoping there would be j-pop songs or j-rock. What I am trying to say is, Fanime is an anime con and most of the attendees there like anime. So why aren't there any dj's that specifically play anime songs? or why can't the attendees put our inputs on which songs should be played?

Some good music that should be played are the one listed in the music fest page where people listed their favorite bands.
Here is the thread http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,18708.0.html
My youtube channel

Cosplay for fanime 2013
Angel Beats! -Otonashi Yuzuru
Vocaloid -Akaito
Gintama! -Shinpachi
K-project -Totsuka Tatara

echoshadow

I guess it depends on the DJ. There where some DJ's that played some jpop but it was a remixed dance versions. This may sound kind of blunt but I really rather dance to something other than jpop, jrock and anime songs. Mainly because most of those songs are for listening not so much for dancing. It would be great if it was a concert but for a dance nah.

The DJs job is to keep the dance floor dancing. Playing something that only 1 person will like is kind of a bad move. Nothing worse than seeing an empty dance floor.

I been to a con dance where the dj played nothing but jpop/rock and anime songs.  It sounded ok for the first 30 minutes but then no body was dancing and it was a dance after all. After an hour there was hardly anyone there and those that where, they where just siting playing games. The next DJ came one and started playing some well known club hits and magically the room was full of people dancing.

But I guess if you ask the dj you might get some jpop/rock. But chances are it would be a remix dance version.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

dangs

Yep I agree that playing stuff that one person will like is a bad idea. That's why I want a playlist so that we can input what songs we want to be played and not have the dj randomly play music of what he/she thinks most people like. I think more people would come to the dance if they know that their favorite songs would be played. There are anime songs that people will dance too it's just that the dj doesn't know what song they are. If you bring a DJ from Japan like DJ Zaneeds, they will play jrock/jpop songs that will make you dance. Just like how they did at the j-pop summit in 2011.

I don't mind if it is remixed version of j-pop, j-rock songs as long there is a time slot for that type of music where we could dance to it. But it seems most of the DJ's only play one j-rock or j-pop songs and just not play it anymore.

P.S. I hope there is a DJ that plays K-pop music. Most of the songs are catchy and are danceable too.
My youtube channel

Cosplay for fanime 2013
Angel Beats! -Otonashi Yuzuru
Vocaloid -Akaito
Gintama! -Shinpachi
K-project -Totsuka Tatara

abcbadcat

As a DJ, your job is to keep people dancing. The DJs that get picked for the dance are picked on their mixing skill, a mix they send in that is reviewed and approved and the content of what is in the mix. I was selected last year to DJ and played what I felt was good dance music for the convention including many video game remix songs that the crowd really enjoyed. I had the room packed for nearly two hours straight and if selected this year, I plan to do the same but with new additions.

Each DJ has their own style and some DJs will post their playlists after their sets (but this varies between DJ to DJ). Asking a DJ to post their playlist before an event isn't feasible.

Ko-tan

I am not a fan of EDM, so me and my friends don't have any fun at the dances. I wish there was a bigger variety of DJ's, because it seems like they all play the same music which seems pointless. Not to offend, but after a while all EDM sounds the same to me and I personally can't get into it. I like R&B and pop music American & Japanese alike (m-flo, minmi, Rip Slyme)It would be nice if they had J-pop and America top 40 DJ's as well even it it was on less popular days like Friday evening.

abcbadcat

There used to be a loungey downtempo / R&B dance area for the 21+ in a room inside the Hilton near the lobby area but they have since discontinued that area since attendance wasn't that great (I could be completely wrong on this but it's what I can remember).

echoshadow

Quote from: abcbadcat on February 23, 2014, 10:01:45 PM
There used to be a loungey downtempo / R&B dance area for the 21+ in a room inside the Hilton near the lobby area but they have since discontinued that area since attendance wasn't that great (I could be completely wrong on this but it's what I can remember).

Yes I remember that one. It was from 12:00 to 4:00. And it was all ages. I just stuck my head in cause I heard some music. At first I though it was some dance lesson or something like it but after looking at the program guide it was an actual dance. Only one there was just the Dj' and his friends

I don't remember any dance having an age limit. (well over 15 is the standard)
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

Dracil

A pretty relevant article regarding anime music DJing in Japan just came out recently: http://asia.nikkei.com/Viewpoints/Culture/Nerds-can-dance-anime-culture-infiltrates-nightclubs

Here's a recorded stream from halfway into the Anison Matrix mentioned in the article: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/43338753

But I've found I generally prefer their Xi-lium events to their Anison Matrix events like the following (I'm a pretty regular watcher of the Club Mogra streams):

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/43365315
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/43369558

Probably my favorite DJ that's easily recognized is Momochi http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/41259643/highlight/471154 because she knows the dances to the songs she plays (this is from Anicrush Vol 2 from last year).

If they can regularly do 6+ hours of straight anime and/or J-Pop music, there's definitely more than enough music out there to go around.  But the thing is, the dancing/DJing done there is quite different from American styles.  What I've heard is famous/popular Japanese DJ guests who've been invited to anime conventions in the US have actually end up being pretty unpopular because people just want to do regular club/rave dancing or expect really remixed music rather than learn the Japanese-style anime song event culture, even with the DJs trying to teach them about it, which IMO is a huge shame, but whatever.

I haven't really been to Fanime's dances for a few years except for maybe what little I spent in Day 0, but what I saw at Anime Expo and Otakon Vegas in the past year has been pretty terrible in terms of either the crowd behavior or music selection.  I'm definitely on the side of people who want to hear stuff that they wouldn't normally hear if they went clubbing outside the con.