Clockwork Alchemy: Is this where my Fanime money is going?

Started by InsaneChan, February 22, 2014, 01:06:51 AM

tbombaci

Wow. Sad to see what has become of FanimeCon. I am one of the founding members from loong ago at Laney College, Foothill, Wyndam then Finally Doubletree. (get off my lawn, lol) I left the organization right before it moved to the SJ Convention center.

IMHO, a steampunk con along side the once great FanimeCon is ridiculous.

We left and started FanimeCon because we didn't like the way Anime America was managed. Has it become a full circle?

Tom

Admiral Donuts

megamanjoe415

Hello and good day,

Let me remind you guys about last years registration horror.

If you bought your badge at the FanimeCon wrbsite, you would get the badge at the FanimeCon location. This was the same for the Clockwork Alchemy website, if you bought a CA badge, you have to pick it up at the CA location. There was not a choice selection of where to pickup your badges, like they did for this year. Clockwork Alchemy has joined FanimeCon since 2012 and there was no choice of where to pickup the badges as the websites were not linked together with the registration choices.

Hope this clears it up for everybody,
Anime_Files

Dracil

So it was mentioned that Clockwork Alchemy gets its money from the fans who registered for Clockwork Alchemy. In light of the above post, I wonder how many people picked Clockwork Alchemy last year just to avoid the Fanime lines but were otherwise primarily FanimeCon attendees?

thepsynergist

Quote from: Dracil on March 13, 2014, 01:41:05 PM
So it was mentioned that Clockwork Alchemy gets its money from the fans who registered for Clockwork Alchemy. In light of the above post, I wonder how many people picked Clockwork Alchemy last year just to avoid the Fanime lines but were otherwise primarily FanimeCon attendees?
I would have done that if I knew it were an option.  I even stayed at the Doubletree last year...

Anix

Actually towards the end of the con they were even letting Fanime people pick up their badges at Clockwork which leads me to believe the systems were linked even last year. Maybe Ewu can shed some light on this?
We are a little mad here.
The question is are you going to use your powers for good or for awesome

Dracil

Yeah, while my question was pre-reg before, I also wonder what happened to the people who went over to Doubletree to register instead of waiting in the 6 hour at-con registration at Fanime. Did that money go to Clockwork Alchemy instead of Fanime?

ewu

Quote from: Anix on March 13, 2014, 03:42:03 PM
Actually towards the end of the con they were even letting Fanime people pick up their badges at Clockwork which leads me to believe the systems were linked even last year. Maybe Ewu can shed some light on this?

The systems were linked, but we did not want to put too much load on the Clockwork side because we needed to make sure it was stable, did not break down after LOTS of people over there, and we were able to manage the lines in the Doubletree.

Quote from: Dracil on March 13, 2014, 09:09:26 PM
Yeah, while my question was pre-reg before, I also wonder what happened to the people who went over to Doubletree to register instead of waiting in the 6 hour at-con registration at Fanime. Did that money go to Clockwork Alchemy instead of Fanime?

We have many metrics to evaluate our events. We also look at the actual numbers of people attending the events and other indications.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

megamanjoe415

Well, last year, the main problem was they didn't tell people till the last minute that you can pick up badges at the double tree,  which led to the massive lines which led to 2 medical calls.

I was lucky to be in line as I waited on thursday for prereg pickup since 11am. I was at least the first 100 in line, then moved to a smaller room, then back downstairs near the lobby, then up to the grand ballroom. Badge pickup throughout the previous years has been 4pm, and just the 3hr difference for a 7pm pickup last year was ridiculous as I didnt pickup the badges till almost 10pm... a line within a line to another line, thats just crazy in itself. I feel bad for the people in line for more than I did. I still have pictures of the line from when it went down the ally way to around the corner...

kookiekween99

If I recall correctly, the 7pm thing had to do with a scheduling conflict with the Fairmont... HOPEFULLY moving back to the CC will help, as well as whatever mysterious new methods that have yet to be revealed. Seriously crossing my fingers about this.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14