Do we know where AA will be housed in 2014?

Started by phr34kish, February 24, 2014, 10:05:16 AM

phr34kish

I know nothing has been released yet about Artist Alley registration, but since we're getting down to just 3 months before the convention I was hoping to get something addressed?

Even though there were a ton of things wrong with the South Hall last year, I thought the amount space was amazing! Fanime's largest AA to date I believe! But, I'm worried about how Fanime is going to be moving forward from then till now? Mostly, concerning the space and the number of tables available.

We used to be hosted in Exhibit Hall 1 at 43,000 sq/ft of available space. Last year, we had a great expansion with the 80,000 sq/ft. Unless we're being planned to go back into the big blue tent, that means we're taking a substantial hit to available space for artists and tables. The convention center's expansion website says the new ballroom is only 35,194 sq/ft, so if we moved to the newest location, we're at even less space than we had in Exhibit Hall 1.

Do we know yet where we're planning on putting the Artist Alley for 2014? And if we're moving out of the South Hall and back into the convention center, how is Fanime planning on addressing the lack of space? Or are tables simply going to be cut back down to 2012 numbers? If we're staying in the South Hall are the problems with the black dust from the air vents going to be fixed? Or the lack of advertising/direction for attendees to know where we are?

I know that's a lot of questions and I guess I'm not really expecting a detailed plan and answer right away. I just know that if I'm worried about it chances are other people are worried about it too. Help? :(

Admiral Donuts

The swap meet head said "Last years location was amazing for swap meet, however it was to the detriment of Artist Alley." so it looks like things will be shifting around.

On the bright side, there's more space available for Fanime this year overall, so things will probably be better for everyone.

Was there a difference in 2012 and 2013 table numbers? I know the space was bigger in 2013, but I figured the rows just had more space between them.

phr34kish

I don't have the official numbers, but the 2012 map showed 318 tables and 2013 map had 362 (including the artist pool). And at 318 tables, Exhibit Hall 1 was getting really cramped, there's no way they could fit that extra 44 tables in the space.

As a frame of reference, Fanime tends to space their artist tables in blocks of 12 (6 on one side, 6 on the other) according to maps from previous years. So it's something like 3 1/2 extra blocks of artists.

ewu

One things get locked down, the location will be release. Soon after that, the agreements and registrations will begin. Please stay up to date by checking to forums, facebook, and twitter.

Thanks for the patience!
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Hachimitsu

Quote from: Admiral Donuts on February 24, 2014, 11:21:36 AM
The swap meet head said "Last years location was amazing for swap meet, however it was to the detriment of Artist Alley." so it looks like things will be shifting around.

On the bright side, there's more space available for Fanime this year overall, so things will probably be better for everyone.

Was there a difference in 2012 and 2013 table numbers? I know the space was bigger in 2013, but I figured the rows just had more space between them.

there was a huge difference on tables.. I think back then the lounge region was removed and was added like 10-20 new tables...

ttyls

Whatever we do, pretty please with a cherry on top don't put us back in South Hall. I will happily take less space between tables/aisles over that again. Even with signs/advertising, it's still too out of the way for the average con-goer, and I'm STILL wiping away grime and dust from some of my more delicate/detailed pieces. I had to throw out the gloves on one of my costumes because of the dust. D:

Hopefully the new construction will allow more flexibility for reshuffling, and the old suggestion that Dealer's Hall and AA be moved into the largest/second largest areas and switch gaming to the third largest area still makes a lot of sense. (Hopefully dealer's hall isn't actually going to be split into two exhibit halls, like I heard a while back) I'd imagine Swap Meet and food court would fit nicely into the remaining spaces after those three, especially with the new open areas. I know it's not "that simple," but after all, there is a year between every con to make Fanime better, and it seems like a valid possibility worth exploring at least.

keitoghostie

It would be nice to see South Hall used for something. I don't know what the best use would be (registration maybe?) but having the extra space is definitely a plus.

SquishyK

Quote from: keitoghostie on February 25, 2014, 04:05:45 PM
It would be nice to see South Hall used for something. I don't know what the best use would be (registration maybe?) but having the extra space is definitely a plus.

I would also love to see South Hall used for something and suggested registration in that survey they sent out. But it has already been stated that registration will be on the bottom floor of the new expansion. Also, I think it is a bit of a safety hazard to have huge numbers of people going over to South Hall because they pass right in front of that garage entrance. Frankly, it would be unreasonable to expect literally thousands of people to wait patiently for the walk sign in that location. It certainly didn't happen last year. Now that I think about it though, I wonder if it would be legal to park food trucks in there and set up benches...
I sell cute and geeky polymer clay jewelry!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SquishyKreations
http://squishykreations.tumblr.com

Tested/MythBusters:
"Failure is always an option"
"Try again, fail again, fail better"
"Art is never finished, only abandoned"

Jin

I actually really liked South Hall's layout. The long rows made it easy to walk through the entire alley without missing anything. With the old room, there's too many rows and columns that it's difficult to walk through and not miss some tables.

CatToy

The layout was OK. The air quality was Beijing-esque. On Monday morning, it was a wind tunnel that knocked over my friends booth backdrop and product racks. The side doors were mostly locked for no good reason. (and the ones that were open were the most inconvenient ones possible) The floor was grimy and sticky. The foot traffic was meh. The signage and directions in the program book were non-existant.

All in all, I'd prefer that the South Hall was bulldozed and returned to a parking lot again.

Anix

Quote from: CatToy on March 06, 2014, 04:52:54 PM
The side doors were mostly locked for no good reason. (and the ones that were open were the most inconvenient ones possible).

The side doors were probably locked because they didn't have enough people to gaurd against people sneaking in.
We are a little mad here.
The question is are you going to use your powers for good or for awesome

cowsrcute

I wouldn't mind if being put back in the south hall only if
1) it were cleaner. And not slightly cleaner but super cleaner. not grimey and sickening.
2) direction to the place was better for attendees. Like better signs (I only saw one and it was to low to be noticed) and staff that actually knew what they were talking about. I knew it was in the South Hall but I wasn't sure where that was. Asked for directions and three different staff people pointed me the wrong directions. One didn't even know there what the AA was... Only heard of dealer's hall.

Both of my main problems with the South Hall could potentially be fixed (not sure if the grossness can) but a smaller cramped room can't be fixed. It would be nice to let a lot of artist have a chance at the AA rather than just a few.