Official Swapmeet FAQ (Fans Ask Questions)

Started by Decantus, February 26, 2014, 10:49:20 AM

Decantus

Swap Meet Registration will go live, Friday May 16th at 7PM PST

READ FIRST BEFORE POSTING

Welcome to the FanimeCon 2014 Swapmeet FAQ or Fans Ask Questions Thread.

This is going to be a compilation of all questions asked by you, the fans.  Please ask them here and I will add them to the top post.

Questions asked so far:

When is Swapmeet registration?
-Before Fanime ^^;

Sorry I can't give more info right now.  I'm going to be working with our Web team in the coming weeks to make sure that we have a smooth system like we did last year.

Where will Swapmeet be?
-There are a couple of places that we're looking at.  Last year we had an amazing space, however Artist Alley was pushed to South Hall where, I'm sure we can all agree, was not the best place.  I'm doing everything I can to make sure that our next location will be just as good.

I made an error with the previous posting on this, please re-read for accuracy
My friends are going to be selling with me but they're going to wait in line for their badges.  Can I sign in for them?
-Only 2 people per spot.  This is non Negotiable.  They can leave stuff with you to sell if they trust you, but they cannot be in the spot selling or "Hanging out".
-If you are signed up as either the Primary or Secondary on the form, you can check in.  If you are not, then we cannot allow this.  Make sure that both people are listed at sign-up for the spot to avoid confusion.  If you decide after signups that you want to add a second, please email me so that I can make the adjustment in our system to avoid confusion.

How much change do you recommend bringing?

I really depends on how much you're going to be selling and what you price everything at.  Keep in mind that Swapmeet is Day Zero and 1, so people haven't blown all their $20s yet.  If you're selling manga at $3 a pop, make sure you have plenty of $1s to make change for increments of $5.  If you're selling everything in multiples of $5s, make sure you have $5s and $10s.

If you're interested in being able to accept Plastic, you can look into Square Card Readers or Paypal if you have a smart phone.  We will not make access to Wifi available to attendees, so keep that in mind.

Do we need to account for tax?  And if so, do we give you a portion at the end of the night?

We do not take care of your taxes.  If you think you've sold enough that you should give a cut to the government, you should look into that.

Questions I remember from last year:

I need to leave and do something, can this friend watch my stuff?
-My question for you: Are they on the Seller's permit as your second?
>If yes: have fun.
>If no: No, they must be on the sheet as a seller in order for them to sell.  This is not up to me or FanimeCon, this is a San Jose City thing.
Then what do I do with my stuff?
-Take it with you?  FanimeCon is not responsible for your things if you leave them out.  If there is someone stealing, we will do everything we can to identify the individual and bounce them, but at the end of the day, it's your stuff and we can't keep an eye on it for you.

My friend is has registered for a spot, can we be next to each other?
-If you're in line together, then we will try to get you into a spot near each other.  Space is limited so there is no guarantee.
-As a side note, there has been a major problem in the past few years with "Professionals" selling at Swapmeet.  They have purchased multiple spots, either next to each other, or spread out over the hall.  This is not going to be tolerated, if we find you, you will be kicked out, NOT REFUNDED, and Banned from Swapmeet; possibly FanimeCon.  If you are a Dealer, contact Dealer's Hall and do it legitimately.  There is way more traffic in there, you get a much bigger space, many more days for you to sell, and everyone is happy.  We already have a few people flagged as such that are not going to be allowed back, if you try to circumvent this somehow, actions will be taken.

I have adult material to sell, is this okay?
-The specific guidelines will be detailed once we get closer to Registration but it's probably going to be the same as every year.
>1 container MAX
>Make sure you check ID
>Must be covered properly
>Must be legal to sell

I have a bunch of stuff to bring in, it's really heavy, can I use a dolly or hand cart?
-No, this is not allowed due to Union policies that we have to follow.
Can you help us?
-Within reason, we have a ton of people to check in and get to their spaces.  My staff has to be on their feet for hours running the event and we have many people checking in.  Consider the fact that last year we had over 150 spaces filled, if we helped everyone, we would be dying on our feet.  If it's just a poster or shopping bag that we're carrying, probably; but if it's a box of Manga, please bring your own muscle.

I'm disabled.  Look!  Here's an official thing from California stating so!  Can I get help?
-Please email me at swapmeet <at> fanime dot com, we can make arrangements.
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

swapmeet <at> fanime dot com

keitoghostie

This is open to veteran sellers as well as Swap Meet staff:

• How much change do you recommend bringing? I'm hoping to deal only in whole dollars so I'm mostly focused on $1 and $5 bills but any advice is appreciated!
additionally
  • Do we need to account for tax? and if so, how? (As in would we have to pay a certain amount back at the end of the night or would we pre-pay or something else?)

Thanks in advance!

Admiral Donuts

The bigger float the better, but it depends on how much stock you have, how much it's worth, and what your items are priced. Something between $50 and $100 would probably be good.

I don't think you'll be selling enough to qualify for having to charge sales tax, so I wouldn't worry about it. The most you'd have to do is claim the money you make as income on your own taxes.

keitoghostie

Quote from: Admiral Donuts on February 26, 2014, 08:55:59 PM
The bigger float the better, but it depends on how much stock you have, how much it's worth, and what your items are priced. Something between $50 and $100 would probably be good.

I don't think you'll be selling enough to qualify for having to charge sales tax, so I wouldn't worry about it. The most you'd have to do is claim the money you make as income on your own taxes.
Thank you!

Decantus

Quote from: keitoghostie on February 26, 2014, 08:06:10 PM
How much change do you recommend bringing? I'm hoping to deal only in whole dollars so I'm mostly focused on $1 and $5 bills but any advice is appreciated!

I really depends on how much you're going to be selling and what you price everything at.  Keep in mind that Swapmeet is Day Zero and 1, so people haven't blown all their $20s yet.  If you're selling manga at $3 a pop, make sure you have plenty of $1s to make change for increments of $5.  If you're selling everything in multiples of $5s, make sure you have $5s and $10s.

If you're interested in being able to accept Plastic, you can look into Square Card Readers if you have a smart phone.  Depending on where we are, the signal strength might be sketchy and we're not providing WiFi to attendees, so keep that in mind.

QuoteDo we need to account for tax? and if so, how? (As in would we have to pay a certain amount back at the end of the night or would we pre-pay or something else?)

We do not take care of your taxes.  If you think you've sold enough that you should give a cut to the government, you should look into that.  I doubt you're going to sell the minimum to warrant that though, the Board of Equalization lists $100k as the minimum to get a tax account ^^

You will need to get a permit to sell at Swapmeet, Link here: http://www.boe.ca.gov/info/reg.htm This also lists all of the other information you're looking for on Taxes and the like.
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: Decantus on February 27, 2014, 09:30:53 AM
If you're interested in being able to accept Plastic, you can look into Square Card Readers if you have a smart phone.  Depending on where we are, the signal strength might be sketchy and we're not providing WiFi to attendees, so keep that in mind.

Oh yeah, get Square. Square is awesome.

sjamison1427

I have a question in regards to adult items for the swap meet. So I see that it is specified to one container this year and, of course, the buyer's ID will need to be checked. What about buyer's who bring in fake ID's, will there be a briefing in regards to how to easily spot a fake ID.

I don't want to get in any trouble for accidentally selling to someone who is underage. Will the seller be responsible if another seller catches the same buyer's ID as fake or will it be seen as a mistake?

- Scott
Fanime 2014 Cosplays
========================
Watson - Sherlock Holmes
Ichigo  - Bleach
Zorro [lost a bet!]

Decantus

Quote from: sjamison1427 on March 02, 2014, 09:59:35 PM
I have a question in regards to adult items for the swap meet. So I see that it is specified to one container this year and, of course, the buyer's ID will need to be checked. What about buyer's who bring in fake ID's, will there be a briefing in regards to how to easily spot a fake ID.

I don't want to get in any trouble for accidentally selling to someone who is underage. Will the seller be responsible if another seller catches the same buyer's ID as fake or will it be seen as a mistake?

- Scott

We don't have an official training on spotting fake IDs.  Honestly it's all just common sense, but I doubt people are going to be buying fake IDs to buy adult material at Swapmeet when there's more than enough they can get on the internet.

If you really want to know how to spot a fake, this site has a neat 8-step checklist on spotting fakes.

http://www.wikihow.com/Spot-a-Fake-I.D
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

Michi

You will need to get a permit to sell at Swapmeet, Link here: http://www.boe.ca.gov/info/reg.htm This also lists all of the other information you're looking for on Taxes and the like.

Last year this was only necessary for certain sellers. Are the rules changing this year so that every swap meet participant must acquire a California Seller's Permit?
~ don't dream it, be it ~

Facebook / Twitter / Tumblr

Decantus

Quote from: Michi on March 10, 2014, 10:34:16 PM

Last year this was only necessary for certain sellers. Are the rules changing this year so that every swap meet participant must acquire a California Seller's Permit?

It's going to be the same as last year.  If I recall correctly, you will only need to get a CSP if you sell more than twice in a 12 month period.  If not, then there is a Temporary Sellers Permit form that you can fill out that counts as the same thing.  It will be posted on the Swap Meet page once Registration goes live.
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

Michi

Thank you for the clarification! Looking forward to Swap Meet this year. :)
~ don't dream it, be it ~

Facebook / Twitter / Tumblr

sea.canter

Hello all.
I am addressing my questions to seasoned swap meeters and staff. Any tips/info. is greatly appreciated as this will be (hopefully) my first time selling at a swap meet. If the answers to my questions are posted some where, please send me the link. Thanks.
1. If it is allowed, do you recommend bringing a tarp to lay stuff on?
2. How big is the space we get and is it tape/roped off somehow?
3. Can I bring my own chair to sit in? It's one of those bbq chairs that collapses into a tube thingy.
4. If not, is it ok if I sit on the floor?
5. There has been much debate in other forums, at other conventions as to what can be sold. My specific question is: Can I sell my unopened Sailor Moon dolls? I bought them. I enjoyed looking at them on my shelf, but now I want to see them bring joy to another for a price ;).

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: sea.canter on March 19, 2014, 07:21:13 AM
1. If it is allowed, do you recommend bringing a tarp to lay stuff on?

I recommend it, it really helps to define your space and keeps everything organized.

2. How big is the space we get and is it tape/roped off somehow?

Space size hasn't been announced yet, but it will likely be marked by tape on the floor.

3. Can I bring my own chair to sit in? It's one of those bbq chairs that collapses into a tube thingy.

Yes. But it will probably take up a good deal of your space.

4. If not, is it ok if I sit on the floor?

Yes, but note that you are not allowed to sit on the walls or ceiling.

5. There has been much debate in other forums, at other conventions as to what can be sold. My specific question is: Can I sell my unopened Sailor Moon dolls? I bought them. I enjoyed looking at them on my shelf, but now I want to see them bring joy to another for a price ;).

That's exactly the kind of thing people are expected to sell. 18+ items have to be in an opaque container and marked as such, and I don't think you're allowed to sell dangerous things like knives, or unofficial stuff like bootlegs.

Decantus

Tarps, Blankets, Towels, etc. are allowed so long as they do not encroach on your neighboring spaces or walkways.

Live Weaponry is strictly prohibited not only by Swap Meet and FanimeCon, but San Jose City as well.  You will be asked to leave if you bring real weapons.  PROP/Cosplay weapons however:

Any weapon-like props must be authorized and peace bonded by Rovers immediately after sale. A copy of the FanimeCon Weapons Policy must be provided with every sale. Please contact the Swap Meet Staff upon registration request to be appraised of other restrictions that must be adhered to. For more information on FanimeCon's Code of Conduct, which will be accessible when the main site goes live.
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

regeener

I had a question about permits: I've sold at the Artist Alley before but I was thinking about doing the Swapmeet this year too. Would i have to have two separate Seller's Permits if i plan on doing both this year or would I only need one?

Decantus

Quote from: regeener on March 23, 2014, 01:11:47 PM
I had a question about permits: I've sold at the Artist Alley before but I was thinking about doing the Swapmeet this year too. Would i have to have two separate Seller's Permits if i plan on doing both this year or would I only need one?

The Seller's permit is valid for Swap Meet as well, however please note that you cannot sell anything that you are selling in Artist Alley in your Swap Meet space.
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

keitoghostie

Just wanted to check if

• There is going to be a form/application for swap meet applicants going up prior to the con AND
  • it will be able to accommodate panelists who are planning on registering at-con.

Decantus

Quote from: keitoghostie on March 23, 2014, 07:21:41 PM
Just wanted to check if

• There is going to be a form/application for swap meet applicants going up prior to the con AND
  • it will be able to accommodate panelists who are planning on registering at-con.

Registration for Swap Meet will be online prior to the con.  The actual date for this is very dependent on other things right now but I'm hoping to get it up before the end of April.

So long as you have your badge number at check in, you will be fine.
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

kookiekween99

Any updates for when Swap Meet sign ups will be, or is it still a vague "soon"?
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14