Official Swapmeet FAQ (Fans Ask Questions)

Started by Decantus, February 26, 2014, 10:49:20 AM

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: Decantus on May 02, 2014, 10:04:21 AM
QuoteStains the carpet (sounds reasonable but again.. the interior of the buildings aren't carpet...except that time from blackout year)
Not going to be an issue this year, but still a valid problem in the past.

So does this mean you know where Swap Meet is going to be held this year?

Quote from: Decantus on May 02, 2014, 10:20:11 AM
But more seriously, it's going to be on a Saturday at 12pm (Not tomorrow) so everyone has an equal chance to reg.

So it'll either be on Saturday the 10th or Saturday the 17th?

kookiekween99

Quote from: Admiral Donuts on May 02, 2014, 12:11:47 PM
QuoteStains the carpet (sounds reasonable but again.. the interior of the buildings aren't carpet...except that time from blackout year)

But more seriously, it's going to be on a Saturday at 12pm (Not tomorrow) so everyone has an equal chance to reg.

Nah, probably the 24th. :P

(Note: this does not constitute actual information and is just me being silly.)
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

Decantus

Yes
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

swapmeet <at> fanime dot com

Decantus

Quote from: kookiekween99 on May 02, 2014, 12:21:07 PM

Nah, probably the 24th. :P

(Note: this does not constitute actual information and is just me being silly.)

I hope not  :o
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

keitoghostie

Quote from: Admiral Donuts on May 02, 2014, 03:00:08 PM
Quote from: Decantus on May 02, 2014, 02:08:15 PM
Yes

...so where is Swap Meet being held this year?
My curiosity is growing...

The two major carpetless spaces I can think of is the hall that housed it last year OR south hall??

On that note, I have never applied for swap meet before and I'm a bit worried about not being able to get a space - I work retail and am scheduled for 5/10 and will possibly be for 5/17 as well. How quickly have the spaces sold out in past years / how quickly would you expect them to sell out this year?

Kyra_Maverick

Quote from: Ecchi ja Nai on May 02, 2014, 10:14:20 AM

Now if we could only get the actual swap meet reg online...  ;)

SoonTM

But more seriously, it's going to be on a Saturday at 12pm (Not tomorrow) so everyone has an equal chance to reg.  There will be announcements on Twitter, Facebook, and the main Fanime Site for when it's set in stone.  I've already seen the Reg process and it's 99% complete.  Just need to fix some wording so that everything is clear.

I'm not sure if I'll be signing up for swap meet this year, but I wanted to thank you for picking a reasonable date/time to reg for it. Last time I sold a few years ago, sign ups were supposed to open at 12am on a random weekday, but because of server issues it didn't get set up until almost 12:30am. This is difficult for me as I work at 5:30am Monday - Friday, not to mention those who are still in school.

Decantus

Quote from: keitoghostie on May 02, 2014, 04:49:55 PM

The two major carpetless spaces I can think of is the hall that housed it last year OR south hall??

I liked last years spot, but we can't get that one because reasons.  South Hall actually has a noise curfew of 10:30pm so we're not able to use it.

On that note, I have never applied for swap meet before and I'm a bit worried about not being able to get a space - I work retail and am scheduled for 5/10 and will possibly be for 5/17 as well. How quickly have the spaces sold out in past years / how quickly would you expect them to sell out this year?

I don't actually know.  I didn't see the stats last year from when we did the full online reg for the first time.  I would expect it to be fairly quick, but not Downtown SJ Hotel through Fanime quick.
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

Anon

No display stands.  People keep trying to get around this and my ruling is now iron clad, it has to be on the floor or you will be asked to fix that, this WILL be enforced.

It both pleases and pains me to hear this, but at least the rule is laid out. Going to have to pick and choose what to put up for sale throughout the night for those of us with big collections of stuff.

On another note it sounds like you've got a general idea of the areas the swap meet will take place, will max capacity be an issue as it has become over the past few years? Last year even though the entire area wasn't filled with sellers, that Friday night was packed as tight as I'd seen, even more-so that one Friday night from a few years ago we were still sharing the 24hr gaming hall.

...oh lord, PLEASE tell me we're not sharing the space with the gaming hall once again...

Decantus

Quote from: Anon on May 02, 2014, 05:46:31 PM
No display stands.  People keep trying to get around this and my ruling is now iron clad, it has to be on the floor or you will be asked to fix that, this WILL be enforced.

It both pleases and pains me to hear this, but at least the rule is laid out. Going to have to pick and choose what to put up for sale throughout the night for those of us with big collections of stuff.

On another note it sounds like you've got a general idea of the areas the swap meet will take place, will max capacity be an issue as it has become over the past few years? Last year even though the entire area wasn't filled with sellers, that Friday night was packed as tight as I'd seen, even more-so that one Friday night from a few years ago we were still sharing the 24hr gaming hall.

...oh lord, PLEASE tell me we're not sharing the space with the gaming hall once again...

We are not sharing the space with the gaming hall.
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

FanFicGuru

Quote from: Decantus on May 02, 2014, 10:30:55 PM
Quote from: Anon on May 02, 2014, 05:46:31 PM

We are not sharing the space with the gaming hall.

What he means to say is that Swap Meet this year will be in the style of a street fair, and we'll be peddling our wares outside of the convention center while shouting at passers-by to peruse our goods.

"GET YOUR QUESTIONABLY CLEAN ANIME SHIRTS HEAH! 5 WALL SCROLLS FOR A DOLLAH JUST ONE DOLLAH LADIES AND GENTS!"

Yeah. Pretty sure that's what's happening.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

NDmion

Hi, I have been reading  the previous posts and I just have a few inquiries.
Do I need to register for a badge first to able to sign up for a swap meet spot? Attending Fanime will be predetermined if I get a spot.
Do I need a sellers permit? This will be the first time trying to sign up for the swap meet.
I have a friend who will be selling at the artist alley, could he take my place if I have to step out or do I have to register another person for my 2nd?
How does one sign up for a space? I can't seem to find it through the fanime website.

ewu

The SM head checks this forum regularly and should be able to get back to you with accurate responses to your questions.

Quote from: NDmion on May 03, 2014, 07:54:46 PM
Hi, I have been reading  the previous posts and I just have a few inquiries.
Do I need to register for a badge first to able to sign up for a swap meet spot? Attending Fanime will be predetermined if I get a spot.
Do I need a sellers permit? This will be the first time trying to sign up for the swap meet.
I have a friend who will be selling at the artist alley, could he take my place if I have to step out or do I have to register another person for my 2nd?
How does one sign up for a space? I can't seem to find it through the fanime website.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Anon

almost all of those questions were answered in the first post, but for S&Gs I can try to answer your questions MDmion with the information gathered from this years and previous years swap meet threads:

- yes, you need to register to get a space. Day zero is a badgeless day however, so if you're registered with the con and have proof of who you are, you can set up to sell.
- Sales permit: you will be given a form for a temporary sellers permit upon swap meet registration allowing you to sell at the swap meet. Same as it's been for years.
- if you have your friend marked on your sellers permit form as your assistant, then yes.
- registration for the swap meet is not up yet. Decantus said in an earlier post that it will open either next Saturday or the following Saturday at around noon

PLUMPKIN

Hello!

First, I just wanted to thank the Swap Meet staff for being so responsive to us thus far.  It's appeased a lot of my concerns (especially the bit about rolling luggage).

Second, I have two questions and I apologize if they're off-topic:
1) I'm staying at the Double Tree and taking over my swap meet merchandise using suitcases.  Are suitcases still banned from the shuttle bus?
2) This is for everyone.  I know that parking lots tend to fill up during Fanime.  If I'm going to be driving into downtown San Jose for swap meet alone, where would be the most ideal/economical place to park?

Thanks!!!

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: PLUMPKIN on May 04, 2014, 02:10:43 PM
1) I'm staying at the Double Tree and taking over my swap meet merchandise using suitcases.  Are suitcases still banned from the shuttle bus?

The best place to get an answer for this is the Hotels and Facilities sub-forum: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/board,36.0.html

2) This is for everyone.  I know that parking lots tend to fill up during Fanime.  If I'm going to be driving into downtown San Jose for swap meet alone, where would be the most ideal/economical place to park?

This depends on a few things; where swap meet's held, how much you're bringing, and when they open Swap Meet reg. Parking in the convention centre parking garage is probably the easiest, there's a lot across from the road on the Hilton side, and there's another lot... near the movie theatre I think?

regeener

Check out http://sjdowntownparking.com/ for a list of the public and private parking lots around downtown San Jose.

kill3rsushi

I thought of another question. Since my friend and I were planning on selling in two separate spaces but plan on selling next to each other if possible and neither of us does this more than once a year, would it be possible to share the seller's permit we have to get? I don't know if they can get to a Board of Equalization office before the con, but I can, so if I put them down as my 2nd on my permit, would they be able to use their own spot?

Hachimitsu

Quote from: kill3rsushi on May 06, 2014, 07:50:52 AM
I thought of another question. Since my friend and I were planning on selling in two separate spaces but plan on selling next to each other if possible and neither of us does this more than once a year, would it be possible to share the seller's permit we have to get? I don't know if they can get to a Board of Equalization office before the con, but I can, so if I put them down as my 2nd on my permit, would they be able to use their own spot?

I am not sure if this sounds possible.. if they are selling it should be under their own name and not someone elses....
I put mines seperate from my sister because we have to pay the city tax (its after the whole talling up the total of things we sold er... ITS just like artist alley... and stuff)..
but that is a good question, I hope I am wrong that it is possible to share a permit, but again I really am not sure..

Anon

As long as you're just selling at the swap meet and not at artists alley as well, unless the process had changed from the past half decade, and unless you sell more than twice a year, you do not need to get an official ca state sales permit. You will be filling out an occasional sellers permit. The form is usually linked to during/after the swap meet registration process. You will then turn it in during check in.

This should quell your issue of needing to share your swap meet forms with a separate seller. If you DID put them on your form, then both of you would share your single space.