Official Swapmeet FAQ (Fans Ask Questions)

Started by Decantus, February 26, 2014, 10:49:20 AM

Decantus

Quote from: kookiekween99 on March 31, 2014, 06:30:04 PM
Any updates for when Swap Meet sign ups will be, or is it still a vague "soon"?

It still before Fanime ^^

I'm waiting for the venue to tell me space count so we can open registration.
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

swapmeet <at> fanime dot com

kookiekween99

Quote from: Decantus on April 01, 2014, 03:34:16 PM

Ah, thank you. I like this sort of transparency. Other departments should follow suit. ^^
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

Decantus

Quote from: kookiekween99 on April 02, 2014, 03:28:45 AM

Ah, thank you. I like this sort of transparency. Other departments should follow suit. ^^

I simply have the luxury of transparency.

Registration will be open earlier than last year.  Not that THAT'S a hard thing to do since it opened like May 16th or something like that.
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

warbearer

Quote from: Decantus on April 11, 2014, 10:22:33 AM

Registration will be open earlier than last year.  Not that THAT'S a hard thing to do since it opened like May 16th or something like that.

You mean the registration might open in the middle of May?

Decantus

Quote from: warbearer on April 13, 2014, 07:25:09 PM
Quote from: Decantus on April 11, 2014, 10:22:33 AM

You mean the registration might open in the middle of May?

Sooner, hopefully, I'll have an announcement on the Fanime Twitter and Facebook page once the date and time that it opens is set.  I'll also post it here so check back.
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

otakuya

What about having Thursday as "free" (as in badge-less)? I'd rather hang out at the swap meet for hours than waiting for a badge, then pick up my badge Friday morning instead.

And what are the tentative hours for swap meet on Thursday?

Decantus

Quote from: Otakuya on April 16, 2014, 11:15:27 AM
What about having Thursday as "free" (as in badge-less)? I'd rather hang out at the swap meet for hours than waiting for a badge, then pick up my badge Friday morning instead.

And what are the tentative hours for swap meet on Thursday?

Thursday is still Badgeless, the times will be posted soon.
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

Hachimitsu

I have a big question regarding about families swap meet spots.. Can me and my sister have seperate spots? (even though we are kinda next to each other O_o!)

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: Hachimitsu-ink on April 21, 2014, 01:31:11 PM
I have a big question regarding about families swap meet spots.. Can me and my sister have seperate spots? (even though we are kinda next to each other O_o!)

Um... anybody who applies for a spot and gets it is going to have a separate spot? I don't think there's anything special in the rules about family members.

Admiral Donuts

So on the website it says this:

QuoteRemember, cash or barter are the only accepted payment methods for Swap Meet

Isn't this wrong now that some people are using Square?

Decantus

Quote from: Admiral Donuts on April 21, 2014, 01:47:47 PM
Quote from: Hachimitsu-ink on April 21, 2014, 01:31:11 PM

Um... anybody who applies for a spot and gets it is going to have a separate spot? I don't think there's anything special in the rules about family members.

If you want to have separate spots, you will have to reg and pay separately.  I cannot guarantee that you will get spots next to each other.  Time at which you reg will not have a bearing on where you will be placed, it will be first come-first choice at con.

Quote from: Admiral Donuts on April 21, 2014, 01:55:52 PM
So on the website it says this:

QuoteRemember, cash or barter are the only accepted payment methods for Swap Meet

Isn't this wrong now that some people are using Square?

Anyone can get a Square reader, not just businesses.  I have posted previously that Square Card Readers are allowed.  I can say that it's a gamble on your part since signal strength may or may not be enough for it to work.
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: Decantus on April 22, 2014, 08:59:07 AM
Anyone can get a Square reader, not just businesses.  I have posted previously that Square Card Readers are allowed.  I can say that it's a gamble on your part since signal strength may or may not be enough for it to work.

Yeah, that's the point I'm going for. You should get the website people to update the page (http://www.fanime.com/events/) because right now it sounds like Square isn't allowed/anticipated.

FanFicGuru

VERY IMPORTANT REGARDING SQUARE:

https://squareup.com/help/en-us/article/3807-square-s-deposit-schedule

Note the deposit schedule. Because of their schedules, any transactions done after 5 PM Thursday would typically post monday morning. Monday is memorial day, so you won't get the money that day. In other words, don't use square if you want to use the money during the con!
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

keitoghostie

Quote from: FanFicGuru on April 22, 2014, 07:34:22 PM
VERY IMPORTANT REGARDING SQUARE:

https://squareup.com/help/en-us/article/3807-square-s-deposit-schedule

Note the deposit schedule. Because of their schedules, any transactions done after 5 PM Thursday would typically post monday morning. Monday is memorial day, so you won't get the money that day. In other words, don't use square if you want to use the money during the con!
Yoooooo really important!
Thank you for sharing this info, dang.

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: FanFicGuru on April 22, 2014, 07:34:22 PM
Because of their schedules, any transactions done after 5 PM Thursday would typically post monday morning. Monday is memorial day, so you won't get the money that day. In other words, don't use square if you want to use the money during the con!

For some people this is probably a good thing... no blowing all your swap meet earnings in the Dealer's Hall.

LightandDarkSoul

Another way around that is using Paypal Here. Info and comparison: http://www.cardfellow.com/blog/paypal-here-vs-square/
I personally use Paypal here and, to me, it's a better option as you get your funds immediately. Only requirement is that you have to have an active, verified Paypal account.

Hachimitsu

Quote from: LightandDarkSoul on April 22, 2014, 11:04:33 PM
Another way around that is using Paypal Here. Info and comparison: http://www.cardfellow.com/blog/paypal-here-vs-square/
I personally use Paypal here and, to me, it's a better option as you get your funds immediately. Only requirement is that you have to have an active, verified Paypal account.

OKay paypal and square looks intersting but has anyone tried this one?

https://www.chasepaymentech.com/images/chase_mobile_checkout.jpg

kill3rsushi

Hello there,

Last year there was a lot of stress and confusion about participants who are also panelists. Because I have two panels, I have to wait to buy my badge at-con to receive the discount and therefore don't have a badge number or registration info handy by the start of swap-meet registration. Last year, I was able to coordinate directly with the swap meet director to reserve my spot and just showed them my badge on Friday after I'd gotten it before I was allowed to claim the spot and sell, but this year me and a friend are both selling and are in the same position of being panelists.

This could also be an issue for someone who buys their badge at the con could have, or if they're in artist alley or press or something. Can you tell us how we should fill out the forms if we won't have this problem with registration?

Thanks!

Decantus

Quote from: kill3rsushi on April 29, 2014, 07:30:30 AM
Hello there,

Last year there was a lot of stress and confusion about participants who are also panelists. Because I have two panels, I have to wait to buy my badge at-con to receive the discount and therefore don't have a badge number or registration info handy by the start of swap-meet registration. Last year, I was able to coordinate directly with the swap meet director to reserve my spot and just showed them my badge on Friday after I'd gotten it before I was allowed to claim the spot and sell, but this year me and a friend are both selling and are in the same position of being panelists.

This could also be an issue for someone who buys their badge at the con could have, or if they're in artist alley or press or something. Can you tell us how we should fill out the forms if we won't have this problem with registration?

Thanks!

You can still sign up for a space without having your badge number, this will get you into the spot and then I can make arrangements on my side.  Once you create your account and get to that point in the reg process, please email [email protected] and I can speak with you directly about the process going forward.
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

ash

Any news on when reg is gonna be up yet. I know you mentioned something about it being up before may.