Official Swapmeet FAQ (Fans Ask Questions)

Started by Decantus, February 26, 2014, 10:49:20 AM

Decantus

Quote from: ash on April 29, 2014, 01:01:50 PM
Any news on when reg is gonna be up yet. I know you mentioned something about it being up before may.

Almost there, just waiting on the paperwork to get finalized for changes in 2014 from the 2013 ones.  There should be an announcement on all FanimeCon Social Media soon.
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

swapmeet <at> fanime dot com

reikofanel

Regarding what's allowed in the spaces, I have several used costume items I will be selling this year and am thinking about getting a small portable clothing rack to display them on. Is this permitted?

Also, how stringent is the no dolly policy? I have about 4 boxes that will be hell to carry by hand. The year before last I used a small dolly to get my stuff into place and then took it back to be stowed in my car. I understand that rules change, but I just wanted to be clear on the cart/dolly policy even if it won't be in the way during the meet itself.

Looking forward to reg for the event being up!

keitoghostie

in the past, I know clothing racks and other vertical displays have not been permitted, but I'm not an official voice so I'm not sure if the policy has changed

also re: carrying stuff in - if you're unable to use a dolly I HIGHLY RECOMMEND investing in one or two of those blue Ikea bags! They're 59ยข each and are meant to tote bulky items and have worked REALLY WELL for me when I've had to carry multiple full boxes

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: reikofanel on April 30, 2014, 11:49:28 AM
Also, how stringent is the no dolly policy? I have about 4 boxes that will be hell to carry by hand. The year before last I used a small dolly to get my stuff into place and then took it back to be stowed in my car. I understand that rules change, but I just wanted to be clear on the cart/dolly policy even if it won't be in the way during the meet itself.

The dolly policy is pretty strict. Last year we were allowed to bring it to the room entrance and carried our stuff in from there. If I recall there was debate about WHY dollies weren't allowed, some were saying it was union rules about transporting stuff into the convention centre, some were saying it was about marking up the floor. I don't remember anyone giving a definitive answer, so if the location changes they might be allowed again...

Xeluu

It's my understanding from talking with various staff members that it's a union issue. It's the same thing dealers and artists have to deal with: if it requires a dolly, you have to hire the union and pay them a base amount.
I think they were able to get around this by having people using suitcases last year.
The rule has been around for years, but they've really started enforcing it the past few.

And I could be wrong, but that was my understanding of it.
2016 Cosplay Plans
Gomamon/Gabumon - Digimon
Jolteon Gijinka - Pokemon
Oogie Boogie - Nightmare Before Christmas

Decantus

Dolly's, hand carts, other things with wheels are not allowed.  This is due to the Union rules of the Convention Center and their facilities.

Xeluu is right that you have to hire them to do it for you.

In past years we've been lenient about it, however this year it's going to be strict.  If you bring a dolly or something like that, we are going to send you back to your car.  Rolling luggage is sketchy too, it's under the same rules so please avoid it.  You will need to bring your own muscle because everything needs to be checked when you arrive for registration, you can't go back and get more stuff.

My minions can't help you beyond help getting to your space.  There are many of you and few of them.  If you have a disability as defined and recognized by the state, we can make arrangements, please message me here or email me at swapmeet <at> fanime dot com.
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

Anon

lol every year the whole dolly discussion is brought up, and every year people always question why and/or try to find the magic loophole. Since everybody always asks, I guess the next logical question that nobody ever bothered asking will be:

How do we go about actually hiring the union staff to move items to/from cars if the load is too much for a single person to handle?

Decantus

Quote from: Anon on May 01, 2014, 10:01:47 AM
lol every year the whole dolly discussion is brought up, and every year people always question why and/or try to find the magic loophole. Since everybody always asks, I guess the next logical question that nobody ever bothered asking will be:

How do we go about actually hiring the union staff to move items to/from cars if the load is too much for a single person to handle?

Union staff is not available to be hired to bring your stuff in.  Yes, this is a Catch-22, Union rules make it so that you can't use a wheeled apparatus to aid in transportation of your items, but you can't get Union members to help you.
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: Decantus on May 01, 2014, 10:34:16 AM
Union staff is not available to be hired to bring your stuff in.  Yes, this is a Catch-22, Union rules make it so that you can't use a wheeled apparatus to aid in transportation of your items, but you can't get Union members to help you.

This is the kind of thing I'd ask to be brought up to the FanimeCon lawyer. It's one thing if they provide a service and charge a rate (no matter how high) but if you can prove a service is unavailable, that's another thing. Although, unions aren't known for having agreements full of legal loopholes so it's probably a waste of time and money.

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: Anon on May 01, 2014, 10:01:47 AM

The minimum rate for the union is around $250 for the first 1,000 lbs, too expensive for most swap meet sellers to make it worth it.

...can we get a rundown of how people are allowed to bring their stuff up? There's mention of it having to be a "single trip" but how many people? Can you use people other than the two registered sellers to bring your stuff from the car to the line? I think the rule is that you can't leave our stuff, but can one seller watch it in line while the other goes to get the rest? My understanding is that you have to have it all together when you're checking in, but waiting in line is a different story?

Not looking for loopholes as much as I'm trying to nail down what is and isn't allowed. Swap Meet is probably one of the best run events at Fanime and it's only gotten better in the couple of years I've been going.

Xeluu

Oh man, no rolling luggage either? Oh well. I know it's tricky walking that line of not getting in trouble with the union.

Question: I have art prints I've purchased over the years that I'm planning on getting rid of. Since it's a "used" art item, may I sell them here? (Obviously there's only one of each print since it would have been stupid to purchase more than one.)
2016 Cosplay Plans

keitoghostie

I'm not sure if there's an official rule on the matter but I feel kind of iffy full on selling used art prints - I'll ask my artist alley friends what their opinion on the matter is but I'll probably end up sticking the prints and stuff I have in a "free with purchase" box (along with some manga samplers and similar items) when I'm selling.

Xeluu

Additionally:
My friends and I were looking into applying to participate in the "Chopped Cosplay" which runs Friday from 6pm-7:30pm. I believe in the past the swap meet started at 7pm? Is there any way to participate in both, or am I going to have to choose one? (I think in the past set-up has started at 5pm) Or is it possible for someone else to check-in and run my swap meet spot to start and then take over when the contest is done? (Not a guaranteed I'm getting in, but Swap Meet sales in a priority for me this year.)
2016 Cosplay Plans

Ecchi ja Nai

The mention of not allowing rolling luggage is very disappointing, to say the least.  I can completely understand and am in total agreement against people using furniture dollies or hand trucks to bring their stuff in, but there's got to be some way of making this work.  I've amassed more stuff that I was hoping to sell this year than I have previously, and while it may not have been easy, I've always found some way of getting everything to my spot on my own, without the use of dollies, in a single trip.  If rolling luggage is expressly forbidden this year, I think I may as well not even attend.  Con-attendee stereotypes aside, have you see the average seller at the last few swap meets?  I can't see most people being able to handle much more than a single short comic box worth of stuff if everyone has to actually hand carry everything to their spot.

Next I assume there's going to be an announcement that the prices to sell are going to go up again and that the space allotted will be further reduced from what we've had before.

Quote from: Admiral Donuts on May 01, 2014, 11:59:30 AM
I'm trying to nail down what is and isn't allowed. Swap Meet is probably one of the best run events at Fanime and it's only gotten better in the couple of years I've been going.

I have to question that latter statement.  I mean, have you sold at previous swap meets?  Sure everything seems to run fine once all the sellers have been checked in, but there have been serious headaches the last couple of years just getting people lined up at the door.  I think the least hassle I've encountered was the year before they tried handing out con badges as sellers were checking in.  By no means am I implying that organizing swap meet is an easy undertaking, and it's certainly been one of the major things I've been looking forward to each year, but calling it the best run event and constantly improving - at least from a seller's point of view - leave me questioning what kind of experiences you've been having these last few years.  That, or you've got extremely low expectations for the rest of the con.

I will agree with you that I would like details to be released as soon as possible.  Saying that using rolling luggage is "sketchy" and should be "avoided," doesn't really cut it if I've got a bunch of manga to sell.  That stuff's heavy, and if I'm going to be turned away at the door because I've got wheels on the bottom of my bag, I may as well not lug them around to begin with.

PLUMPKIN

I would also like clarification on the rolling luggage situation.  I have a good amount of stuff that I'm hoping to sell at swap meet.  I am not disabled, but I have medically documented back problems that will make it difficult for me to carry everything in if I cannot use rolling luggage.  I'd like to avoid aggravating or potentially injuring my back.  Furthermore, every single piece of baggage I own has wheels on it.  I'd rather not have to buy new luggage just so I can sell.  I can try to carry in the luggage without using the wheels to circumvent the "no-wheels rule", but I'd rather not do anything to get me expelled from swap meet.

Clarification from Swap Meet staff would be much appreciated.  Thank you so much! :)

Hachimitsu

The last 4 fanimes has had the same rulings over and over again, regarding about wheels.
Both Artist alley and Swap meet (not sure about dealers hall)

The following excuses Why they weren't allowed after interviewing rovers and the guy who is in charge..

• gives a hint you are part of the dealers hall trying to resell items
  • People who brought karts never put them away and left them on the side, creating traffic congestions
  • Violates the union labor laws and you need to hire one of them just to use a cart, rental is like what. $1200
  • We have rovers, you can ask them for assistance (but I noticed THERE aren't many left)
  • easy display stands? (seriously? how does that even work, we used ours as a CHAIR (3 years ago))
  • Stains the carpet (sounds reasonable but again.. the interior of the buildings aren't carpet...except that time from blackout year)

these are all the things i have reported over the past 5 years... since. 2009 I think... I remember one time someone asked me if the box I have has wheels but since i carry the huge damn thing from the gaurage to the fairemont, alot of items were droped into the tracks!

has anyone else by pass this?, I mean seriously I KNOW im notthe only one here, I had a talk with the guy who was incharge and he too didn't like this ruling idea as well...

Decantus

Art Prints (Keitoghostie)

This is a difficult question.  Our rule is that you're not allowed to sell Fan Art at swap meet, since that's something that should be in Artist Alley.  However, this is not YOUR fan art so... Let me check into it.  If you're just giving it away, I don't think that there will be a problem with it.

Conflicting Schedules (Xeluu)

Check in for Swap Meet starts at 6:30, Selling starts at 7:30.  If you register and get a spot, you have until 8:30 to check in before we give your spot away to the first in line on the wait list.  If you know you are going to be late, we can make arrangements prior to the con, but once Day Zero hits, you are subject to the previous statement.

Swap Meet Space price (Everyone)

$30 per space per day.  Same as last year.

Check in Line (Ecchi Ja Nai)

This is something that I've really been focusing on.  Check in line will be set before people start showing up, rather than having people mill about while we get things set.

Con Badge situation (Everyone)

4 years ago, we did try to do Badge pick up at Swap Meet.  This was a bad idea.  Last year, we had the server failure that delayed people getting their badges for hours.  This was bad, but not something that we can control.  What we CAN control is having you guys get stuck in that long pre-reg line and not getting your badges until 10pm.

Registration this year is more streamlined than ever.  The Registration team has put together a system that will cut reg down to 15-20 seconds per attendee.  But we are going a step further to make sure that you are going to be able to make it to swap meet check in.  If you get a space for Swap Meet, you are able to obtain a voucher from us that gives you access to the Priority Registration line that Artist Alley Vendors have.  You will need to come to Swap Meet Prior to getting your Con Badge, and I will give you this Voucher.

Rolling Luggage (Everyone)

To be honest, I'm fine with Rolling Luggage.  The major problem that we had with it in previous years is that it was a problem for the Convention Center marking up the floor.  This year, we don't have that problem.

Hope this clears up a few things.
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

Decantus

Quote from: Hachimitsu-ink on May 01, 2014, 07:45:08 PM
The last 4 fanimes has had the same rulings over and over again, regarding about wheels.
Both Artist alley and Swap meet (not sure about dealers hall)

The following excuses Why they weren't allowed after interviewing rovers and the guy who is in charge..

The problem in the past is that we haven't really taken the time to address these and enforce the rules clearly.  I'll be talking to Rovers so that we're on the same page about everything, but when it comes down to it, they have final say in rulings.

• gives a hint you are part of the dealers hall trying to resell items

This is a major thing, there have been vendors trying to get into Swap Meet to dodge the Dealer's Hall costs/availability, so our stance is now to be hyper sensitive to this fact.

• People who brought karts never put them away and left them on the side, creating traffic congestions

Not only is this a safety thing, but this is just plain courtesy.  Please be aware of your surroundings, you wouldn't want someone bleeding into the space that you paid for, so don't do it to someone else.

• Violates the union labor laws and you need to hire one of them just to use a cart, rental is like what. $1200

This is just something that we have to deal with, Union Laws don't make sense 100% of the time, but we have to abide by them.  If I knew how to get around them, I would probably be making a ton of money as a lawyer.

• We have rovers, you can ask them for assistance (but I noticed THERE aren't many left)

Do not ask Rovers for help carrying your stuff.

• easy display stands? (seriously? how does that even work, we used ours as a CHAIR (3 years ago))

No display stands.  People keep trying to get around this and my ruling is now iron clad, it has to be on the floor or you will be asked to fix that, this WILL be enforced.

• Stains the carpet (sounds reasonable but again.. the interior of the buildings aren't carpet...except that time from blackout year)

Not going to be an issue this year, but still a valid problem in the past.  Don't bring up blackout year... that was bad times.
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

Ecchi ja Nai

Quote from: Decantus on May 02, 2014, 09:53:56 AM

Absolutely.  To be honest I was a bit surprised to find out that the wheels vs. carpet situation was an actual issue with the convention center.  I've been to other conventions and trade shows, both specifically in San Jose and in other states, and especially in business settings you see rolling carriers and luggage everywhere.  I'm just glad this is no longer an issue.

And actually, I was just bringing up issues from previous years as examples for my previous post, but I am very excited and incredibly interested to see how the check in line and reg badges will work out this year.  I'm definitely hoping that at the end of the con, or at least after swap meet Friday, I'll be making a comment: "Huge success!"

Now if we could only get the actual swap meet reg online...  ;)

Decantus

Quote from: Ecchi ja Nai on May 02, 2014, 10:14:20 AM
Quote from: Decantus on May 02, 2014, 09:53:56 AM

Now if we could only get the actual swap meet reg online...  ;)

SoonTM

But more seriously, it's going to be on a Saturday at 12pm (Not tomorrow) so everyone has an equal chance to reg.  There will be announcements on Twitter, Facebook, and the main Fanime Site for when it's set in stone.  I've already seen the Reg process and it's 99% complete.  Just need to fix some wording so that everything is clear.
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head