Official Swapmeet FAQ (Fans Ask Questions)

Started by Decantus, February 26, 2014, 10:49:20 AM

Decantus

Quote from: EJAY420 on May 13, 2014, 01:43:37 AM
What is this civic center we speak of? Explain explain.

The Civic Center is the building across the street from the Convention Center.  If you stand in front of McEnry and look straight across, that's the entrance to the hall that we're using.
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

swapmeet <at> fanime dot com

Decantus

Quote from: Anon on May 12, 2014, 08:10:46 PM
Quote from: Decantus on May 12, 2014, 07:39:40 PM
My options were, SJ Civic Center, Fairmont Hotel, or South Hall.  Fairmont is too far away, and all of your concerns apply more so to it.  South Hall we would close at 10:30pm so there would be no point having Swap Meet.

As for the release time, the best laid plans often go awry.  At this point, it's more important to be able to get everyone reg'd and not have an At-Con Snafu.

I don't know, for the past few years, things really slow down after the 10pm hour. If doors open to the public for sales at 6 or 6:30, 3.5-4 hours of sales pretty much gets all the major sales out the door, the only ones that come at the late night hours are the wishy-washy buyers who have mind battles with their bank accounts and credit cards. My point is would closing up at 10:30pm be such a bad thing? Or, by 10:30pm do you mean everything locked up and everybody, even sellers, are to be removed from the premises?

10:30 is when we would have had to be locked up, everyone out, clean up done, which means that I would have to start kicking people out at 9:30pm.  I would have no flexibility to extend it out another 30 minutes to an hour like we have been for the last 2 years.

From what I noticed, it's fairly consistent all of Thursday since people are filing in from the Pre-Reg line.  Friday, we tend to have a packed house most of the night and a few stragglers at the end when we have to kick people out.
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

Decantus

To be clear to everyone, if I could have had it in the main hall, I would.  The Main hall is the most convenient, has the most foot traffic, and has the most space.  Problem is that the space is being used this year by Dealer's, and I'm not about to start stepping on Dealer's Hall Seller's toes.

My first choice that I was trying for was Park Side Hall, where the Black and White Ball is held.  There's a ton of room in there, and easier access than the Fairmont.  Next Year, we'll see what we can do.  Since it will be my second year, and I hopefully won't have to re-do any of the reg site stuff again, I hope to find a place that's: easy to access, has plenty of room for growth, and can be our permanent home.
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

Decantus

Quote from: Ecchi ja Nai on May 12, 2014, 07:58:50 PM
Gotta admit, when I was thinking about the space available in the Civic Center, I was strictly thinking of it from a seller's point of view.  If we get anywhere near the crowds swap meet has been pulling the in last few years...

It's got a maximum seating capacity of 3036 people.  That number sounds like a lot, but the rooms wound up being crowded as all get out for a couple hours.  Plus when you factor in that the space that's going to be taped off for the sellers, just guesstimating, that would that bring it down to only about 1000 people walking around at a time?

This is going to be way early, but I'd like to put in my request for swap meet to be moved back into the actual convention center.  There's got to be space to accommodate everyone in there now.  Gaming doesn't seem to take up the entire far hall; I say move gaming to one of the new ballrooms.  Most people are sitting or standing still, so there shouldn't be much foot traffic.  Arcade cabinets and other machines could be put on to some type of surface that won't damage the carpet, I'm sure.  Let swap meet, plus some other function, take over the large hall on the Hilton side.

I don't always check out Artists Alley, and never participate there as a seller since I can't do the artz, but I actually really liked it at the South Hall last year.  I don't know if there were other issue that came up internally regarding that spot, or if the artists had problems with the location, but I thought there was plenty of room to walk from table to table, there were tons of people who were able to represent their craft, and it was very easy to walk from the convention center and back.  No need to cross any streets if you're already at the con.  All in all, I liked how it worked out last year, but if AA needs to be in the big hall at the convention center, find some way to get swap meet into one of the other main halls.

I know there's some concern that people aren't going to know where Swap Meet is being held, but I guarantee that we're doing everything we can At-Con to make sure that people know where we are.  We're going to have Signs at Registration, I'll have staff going to the Reg Wait line making announcements, Info Desk will know where we are, and hopefully the stream of people going to it is going to help as well.

As for going into Hall 3 (I think it's Hall 3 that you're talking about), If we have to share it with Gaming, that's not going to happen.  If gaming moves, maybe.  I'm not about to actively try to push them out.  Maybe the Auditorium in the Hilton where they usually have the Gainax Panel, I was thinking about that one too for next year.
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

ash

Any word on how many spaces are going to be available.

warbearer

what is the closest place to park in the civic center

keitoghostie

@Decantus, I know a lot is up in the air but will we be getting some significant advance notice (at least a day before) for swap meet reg?

Quote from: EJAY420 on May 13, 2014, 01:43:37 AM
What is this civic center we speak of? Explain explain.
Across the street from the convention center, where Masquerade is usually held.

Decantus

Quote from: ash on May 13, 2014, 05:53:48 AM
Any word on how many spaces are going to be available.

About as many as we had in the Fairmont.  Not nearly as many as Hall 2.
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

Decantus

Quote from: keitoghostie on May 13, 2014, 08:41:10 AM
@Decantus, I know a lot is up in the air but will we be getting some significant advance notice (at least a day before) for swap meet reg?

I intend to give 48 hours notice before Reg goes up.
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

keitoghostie

Quote from: Decantus on May 13, 2014, 08:52:54 AM
Quote from: keitoghostie on May 13, 2014, 08:41:10 AM

I intend to give 48 hours notice before Reg goes up.
Awesome! Much appreciated!

Pika1979

I know someone asked before but I did not see the question answered. What will be the cart rules for this location?

Decantus

Quote from: Pika1979 on May 13, 2014, 12:43:57 PM
I know someone asked before but I did not see the question answered. What will be the cart rules for this location?

No carts, rolling luggage ok.
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: Decantus on May 13, 2014, 02:01:38 AM
To be clear to everyone, if I could have had it in the main hall, I would.  The Main hall is the most convenient, has the most foot traffic, and has the most space.

I can understand why Swap Meet is in a place that's being used for other things later in the con, it didn't make much sense last year for the Swap Meet space to go unused for the rest of the con when space was at a premium due to renovations.

metapod100

1) For Swapmeet is it $30 for one day (Thursday or Friday)?

2) If I registered to pick up my badge at Clockwork Alchemy, can I still get the voucher for sellers?

warbearer

Quote from: metapod100 on May 13, 2014, 04:47:34 PM
1) For Swapmeet is it $30 for one day (Thursday or Friday)?

2) If I registered to pick up my badge at Clockwork Alchemy, can I still get the voucher for sellers?

regarding the first question, swapmeet is $30 per day

Hachimitsu

Quote from: Decantus on May 13, 2014, 02:01:38 AM
To be clear to everyone, if I could have had it in the main hall, I would.  The Main hall is the most convenient, has the most foot traffic, and has the most space.  Problem is that the space is being used this year by Dealer's, and I'm not about to start stepping on Dealer's Hall Seller's toes.

I SOO wanna hug you and thank you for continue having swap meet as an awesome event T_T!....
I know it sounds weird but seriously, it's one of the reasons why i love this con..

now I need to contact registration because I am having problems where to obtain the badge?
through registration? Artist alley? (I have a group of people with me)..ehh it's confusing and such O_O!...

Decantus

Swap Meet Registration will go live, Friday May 16th at 7PM PST.
Patrick Romani
Swapmeet Head

ash

GamerscloseT

Paying for our spots, is it going to be like last year where when we registered we payed online? Or like the year before when we payed as we checked in at the con?. Just asking so we know if we have to pay immediately on the spot.

Kiara

Just Awesome.

I will be in the middle of nowhere with no cell reception on a camp-out Thursday-Sunday. 48 hours is nowhere near enough notice. I've done the swap meet for the last 3 years, the 48 hour announcement is ridiculous.

Cosplayer/Photographer in the East Bay.