Winter Fanime.

Started by ash, February 27, 2014, 06:18:53 AM

ash

Fanime has become pretty huge, so why not have two cons
I'm pretty sure a ton of people would love for there to be a second fanime even if its not as big. What are your thoughts.

Hachimitsu

Quote from: ash on February 27, 2014, 06:18:53 AM
Fanime has become pretty huge, so why not have two cons
I'm pretty sure a ton of people would love for there to be a second fanime even if its not as big. What are your thoughts.
I am pretty sure there are two different conventions at the same time of fanime! (Clockworks alchemy=steampunk/victorian) but i think i know what you meant (kinda like comic con and ape con (maybe wondercon?)..
butt point is I don't know if it's possible because you need to have a date where everyone is on vacation....(something similar to memorial day weekend.

ash

That's y I said winter since everyone is on winter break plus it doesn't have to run 5 days maybe just 3 days

Dracil

They can barely organize one con and get guests/hotels/etc. up in a timely manner.  Two cons would just end up making both cons a complete mess.

cutiebunny

Quote from: ash on February 27, 2014, 09:35:52 AM
That's y I said winter since everyone anyone who doesn't have a job is on winter break plus it doesn't have to run 5 days maybe just 3 days

Fixed that for you.

Many people who have their degrees and have jobs in the real world attend FanimeCon too  ;)

And regarding your inquiry, I agree with the above poster.  Fanime has a hard enough time getting their act together to put on one convention a year.

echoshadow

Quote from: Dracil on February 27, 2014, 10:34:52 AM
They can barely organize one con and get guests/hotels/etc. up in a timely manner.  Two cons would just end up making both cons a complete mess.
Agreed.

Also there are a few other cons during around winter.  Sacanime, PMX, ALA. So if you really want to go con hopping fly to other parts of the U.S. 
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

Tsu

Quote from: echoshadow on February 27, 2014, 10:46:53 PM
Agreed.

Also there are a few other cons during around winter.  Sacanime, PMX, ALA. So if you really want to go con hopping fly to other parts of the U.S.

There's also Otakon Vegas that just started this year. It's in January (thus far).
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019

cutiebunny

Not to defend Fanime or anything, but Otakon has its own share of problems as well in terms of organization.  Ask anyone who went to the Kanno concert and lined up for autograph tickets at Otakon last year.  I also don't feel comparing Otakon Vegas to Fanime is a fair comparison; Otakon Vegas brought in 2K in attendance, whereas Fanime has 25K.  In terms of logistics, there's a big difference.

Technically, Fanime is two conventions - Fanime and Clockwork Academy.  I don't know how related these two conventions are, but since admission into one gives you admission into the other, I'd say there's at least some connection.

As foester mentioned, there are several winter conventions that you can attend.  I've been to PMX a couple of times and I enjoy it for what it is. SacAnime is nice as well.

Anix

If there was to be a second con it might do better in late fall. Possibly Halloween. Now that Yaoicon is gone from SF.
We are a little mad here.
The question is are you going to use your powers for good or for awesome

Admiral Donuts

I would love an excuse to visit California in the winter.

heeroyuy135

Quote from: Anix on February 28, 2014, 11:26:14 PM
If there was to be a second con it might do better in late fall. Possibly Halloween. Now that Yaoicon is gone from SF.
I thought they were supposed to bring back Yaoicon sometime this year or next year.
If anything, this would be a perfect time to spin-off Clockwork Academy during September/October/November and put it at the San Jose Convention Center.

cutiebunny

Yaoicon's website says that it will be in San Francisco in September.

kyunaHARU

lol this is pretty much what i was gonna say

CatToy

This would be a fantastic suggestion for a convention staff that had their collective act together.

Kahluah

Quote from: CatToy on March 09, 2014, 03:23:27 AM
This would be a fantastic suggestion for a convention staff that had their collective act together.

This was a topic on another thread, but they are unorganized because the management for the past 3 years wanted to put that he was able to run two cons at once on his resume.

I think Clockwork would be great in the fall, it would also give people a chance to enjoy both cons to the fullest instead of picking one over the other.

Firefury Amahira

Quote from: ash on February 27, 2014, 09:35:52 AM
That's y I said winter since everyone is on winter break plus it doesn't have to run 5 days maybe just 3 days
I know somebody else already pointed out that people who aren't in school don't get winter break, but it bears repeating. In addition, a convention placed to try and take advantage of students with said break is going to be in direct competition with already expensive winter holidays and New Years. So you're looking at an event that would most likely only draw a local crowd with very few people traveling any great distance to attend, whereas in May you get a lot of people able to arrange time off around the long weekend to travel from out of town. I know my group couldn't afford to attend a second San Jose con, so we'd no doubt stick to the main event instead of an uncertain secondary winter event. Plus more people take vacation time during the summer months than the winter months, so you've got a larger pool of potential attendees if you set an event during summer break rather than winter break.

Plus you have to factor in the logistics and costs; doing a second, likely smaller Fanime in the winter or fall probably would cost nearly as much as putting on the main event in May, and being smaller, it would be less likely to make enough to offset those extra costs. And as others have mentioned, Fanime logistics has enough trouble with the one main event, nevermind trying to juggle a second one.

While it's not as directly an issue, bad weather could also affect the turnout of a winter event; if it's going to be cold and rainy, you're going to have fewer cosplayers, fewer places for cosplay photos, and just fewer people wanting to make the trip, period. Some out-of-towners could (and likely do) fly in for May, but if the parking lots are anything to go by, a lot of people drive to the con. The weather in winter can make certain routes impassable or make that drive take much longer than it already takes, also potentially limiting the reliable con attendees to those already local to the area.
"Fandom should be fun!" - Firefury Amahira
--
Looking for help writing fanfiction?

otakuya

While it's not Fanime, there are other anime conventions in the Bay Area. The next closest thing would be AOD, Yaoi-con, and Japan Expo. AOD is usually in January so that counts as winter. There are also mass cosplay gatherings in a park that I see sometimes through Facebook.

megamanjoe415

As mentioned before, if Fanime were to have 2 cons for both summer and winter, the quality would go down. Now if they did this: have Fanime and Clockwork Alchemy separate,  then that will increase the probability of Fanime itself to be more organized. The Funds/Staff/Volunteers will be way more organized and willing to work at what con they want.

XiAoZeY

Actually, not necessarily. It has been mentioned by staff before that Clockwork Alchemy is run by their own staff and volunteers with their own funds. Either way though, Fanime is still very unorganized for a con of its size and having a winter Fanime would be a pretty bad idea.

Eri Kagami

technically, fanime already has two cons - main Fanime and Clockwork Alchemy. Plus, the Bay Area has a ton of events in the winter like Animation on Display...