Artist Alley info??

Started by skyfish, February 28, 2014, 11:32:02 PM

skyfish

My friends and I are from Canada and we were considering coming over to Fanime.
Generally when does artist alley registering start? (I hear it wasn't until a month before that it started last year...) Or maybe if staff is available to answer, is there an estimate this year when it will start? How many tables are available? How competitive is it for tables? Traffic? Any suggestions for print quantities? Etc...

If there are any other out-of-the-country attendees, your input would be very very welcome.

Admiral Donuts

Yay, fellow Canadians.

Registration will probably be the same time again this year, a month before, like you said.

As for being out of country, I recommend bringing your passport to registration (then keeping it someplace safe for the rest of the con) Also wait until the Loonie is doing a bit better to get some American cash...

skyfish

If it's going to be 4~5 weeks before artist alley reg.... then it might be hard to find a flight T____T why

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: skyfish on March 01, 2014, 01:21:44 PM
If it's going to be 4~5 weeks before artist alley reg.... then it might be hard to find a flight T____T why

Are you looking at flying into San Jose or San Francisco? There's more (and often better) options for flying into San Francisco. I used to live in Victoria and they had an awesome direct flight there.

skyfish

Quote from: Admiral Donuts on March 01, 2014, 03:52:22 PM
Are you looking at flying into San Jose or San Francisco? There's more (and often better) options for flying into San Francisco. I used to live in Victoria and they had an awesome direct flight there.

I live in Toronto, looking for a flight from Buffalo to San Jose. It's on the other side of the continent and I'd really rather not travel around so much...

Hachimitsu

2013 it was on april 5th
2012 it was on January 28th  (but the approval link was made during in april)
2011 it was on march 25th

...I am starting to see a pattern here........
nope just random dates..
yeah I recommend you continue watching the twitter updates / facebook updates when they will announce artist alley.

skyfish

So hows the traffic here? Also, my friends who've gone to AX say that the taste in Anime in the US is more mainstream?

Admiral Donuts

You mean people tend to like more mainstream Anime, or that Anime itself is considered mainstream?

skyfish

Tastes in Anime tends to be more mainstream, like big 3, or whatever.

cowsrcute

I'm flying in from Toronto too! Just moved here. =D I will be going regardless since I spend time with my sisters for the week but I really hope they open it soon. I'm an artisan crafter so it's not like I can make bulk stuff only to find out I didn't get a table and be stuck with a lot of it.
        As for your questions, I like flying into San Francisco since there are options for one plane with no layovers. It would also suck really bad if you get delayed on one layover. I got delayed before on my first flight for a 3 flight trip because the first officer forgot the passport. Took him an hour to get it but it delayed me for 2 days since I missed the third plane. That wasn't for fanime though. Also, there is a bus that will take you to San Jose from San Francisco for 20 dollars on a nonstop trip. You can also take the bart which is cheaper.

Generally when does artist alley registering start?
     No clue. It's random I think
How many tables are available?
     It depends on the location. Last year there was a lot since we were in a big area but with construction done, they might not put us there again so there would be less that last year most likely if that happens.
How competitive is it for tables?
     Pretty competitive I think =T Last year sold out fast I think
Traffic?
     If we get put in the main building, traffic is good but less tables. If we get put in the south hall again, lots of tables but less traffic (unless they put up more noticeable signs to direct people). Somewhere else, I don't kno but I would say it depends on the signs. Really depends on location.
Any suggestions for print quantities?
     Artisan crafter so can't help you there. =(

skyfish

Wow thank you so much for the info!
I just wanted to ask, when you say it sold out fast, how fast is fast? I'm used to Anime North table sign ups and they're crazy competitive. When it used to be half FCFS, it sold out within a second @___@

phr34kish

It's been close to 10-15 minutes in the past. Maybe a bit shorter/longer since I don't have the official times, but 15 minutes usually when things sell out and move to waitlist. So... really really fast.

keitoghostie

Quote from: cowsrcute on March 08, 2014, 08:40:13 AM
there is a bus that will take you to San Jose from San Francisco for 20 dollars on a nonstop trip. You can also take the bart which is cheaper.
Public transportation fairy here!!

If you're flying into SFO I'd recommend taking the BART to the Millbrae CalTrain station, then the CalTrain down to Diridon Station.  If you're arriving on a weekday and staying near the convention center there's a free shuttle that goes around downtown and stops at the train station and convention center!
Or if you're staying near the San Jose airport, take CalTrain (from Millbrae) to the Santa Clara station and take a different free shuttle towards the airport. This one runs 7 days a week!

Either way it's roughly $11!

kookiekween99

Quote from: keitoghostie on March 08, 2014, 02:51:18 PM
Quote from: cowsrcute on March 08, 2014, 08:40:13 AM
there is a bus that will take you to San Jose from San Francisco for 20 dollars on a nonstop trip. You can also take the bart which is cheaper.
Public transportation fairy here!!

If you're flying into SFO I'd recommend taking the BART to the Millbrae CalTrain station, then the CalTrain down to Diridon Station.  If you're arriving on a weekday and staying near the convention center there's a free shuttle that goes around downtown and stops at the train station and convention center!
Or if you're staying near the San Jose airport, take CalTrain (from Millbrae) to the Santa Clara station and take a different free shuttle towards the airport. This one runs 7 days a week!

Either way it's roughly $11!

Couldn't they also take BART from SFO to Fremont and take a bus from there?
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

Anix

From Fremont Bart they can take the 180 Express, but it lets off at 2nd and Santa Clara and then you have to walk up to Market and San Carlos, about 5 blocks. 5 blocks isn't bad but your going through a "lovely" area with your bags exposed.
We are a little mad here.
The question is are you going to use your powers for good or for awesome

keitoghostie

Fremont -> San Jose buses don't run very frequently in my experience, so it would depend on timing - plus it's about $4 more to do so

cowsrcute

yea, fast was like 15 mins I think for last year. Atleast that is what I heard. And I normally take the one way bus for 20 because it is a one trip thing so it is a fast ride with no stops. Also, you don't have to walk around as much which is helpful if you are planning on bringing luggage around. With the bart it is 11 something so you are saving money but it cost time and more effort. I rather take the bus since I hate being tired from a plane to have to take a bus, then bart, then bus, then w/e to get to where you are staying. If you do take the bart though, there is a little slip that will let you transfer on the bus for cheaper or free depending if you are a student or your age or something. I forget. It's a little machine with a green button that is near the excalator so grab the slip from that if you go the bart way.

skyfish

Wow 15 minutes that makes me really relieved :') How soon can we know if we got a table or not, after applying?

cowsrcute

It was pretty fast last year but I am not sure how long it was for people who were waitlisted.

skyfish

Quote from: cowsrcute on March 10, 2014, 07:55:03 PM
It was pretty fast last year but I am not sure how long it was for people who were waitlisted.

A day? Within an hour?