2014 NEW Homestuck Gathering! 4/6

Started by BSaphire, March 06, 2014, 01:41:04 PM

octoberesque

Yeah, we kind of started the 21stuck thing BECAUSE all events tend to be "we don't want you DRINKING TYPES around NORMAL PEOPLE/underage folks," sadly. I do believe I am capable of having a drink to smooth over my social anxiety AND talking responsibly to folks who are not of age, and I have faith in most of my friends to do the same.

Acey, I'll send you a link on FB, I have mentioned it in the group before. It's been pretty dead in there lately though!

Nina Star 9

Just to clarify, the "no alcohol" rule for Dinnerstuck has nothing to do with people who are over 21 and may want to drink. I really don't care. (Well, unless someone got so drunk that it was a problem for the event and location.) I'll have a drink myself occasionally, and I'm sure that other people can handle themselves when they've had a drink. The issue is the liability of having a mixture of underaged and of age attendees in a setting where alcohol is being served, since it is difficult or impossible to monitor. I don't want there to be a situation where alcohol is accidentally or purposefully served to someone underaged, so it's safer to just ban alcohol altogether. It prevents problems from ever arising, rather than trying to deal with a problem when it happens. I feel like I'm being accused of judging people who choose to drink (in whatever amount), and I'm really not. It's simply that this is supposed to be all-ages, and that I don't want to have to deal with any potential underaged drinking.

As I've said, I've considered hosting Barstuck events myself, but have found it to be too much trouble for what I'd personally get out of it, so I'm glad that someone else has taken that initiative. I'm still interested in the info, even if my schedule might end up being too busy to attend, and even if I won't end up drinking anything myself. ;]

octoberesque

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on March 13, 2014, 04:35:17 PM
Just to clarify, the "no alcohol" rule for Dinnerstuck has nothing to do with people who are over 21 and may want to drink. I really don't care. (Well, unless someone got so drunk that it was a problem for the event and location.) I'll have a drink myself occasionally, and I'm sure that other people can handle themselves when they've had a drink. The issue is the liability of having a mixture of underaged and of age attendees in a setting where alcohol is being served, since it is difficult or impossible to monitor. I don't want there to be a situation where alcohol is accidentally or purposefully served to someone underaged, so it's safer to just ban alcohol altogether. It prevents problems from ever arising, rather than trying to deal with a problem when it happens. I feel like I'm being accused of judging people who choose to drink (in whatever amount), and I'm really not. It's simply that this is supposed to be all-ages, and that I don't want to have to deal with any potential underaged drinking.

As I've said, I've considered hosting Barstuck events myself, but have found it to be too much trouble for what I'd personally get out of it, so I'm glad that someone else has taken that initiative. I'm still interested in the info, even if my schedule might end up being too busy to attend, and even if I won't end up drinking anything myself. ;]

Oh no, *I* should clarify that this was not directed at you! I'm 30 and tired of 18-yr-olds in the fandom implying that I am a bad person because I actually need to take the edge off before interacting with people. You can see it in the rules of most meetups, a weird kind of "alcohol and drugs are bad in every situation ever" vibe. Conversely, I *could* be super sensitive to it due to my anxiety and the specific coping mechanisms I've evolved.

My specific feeling on your event is that the venue would be responsible, not the organizer, but I wouldn't hold a mixed meetup for drinking purposes either! The only other thing is a sad shrug that it is yet another event I will not be able to attend due to my stupid brain. I truly hope it is a success, and the next time we do a 21stuck gathering, I will pm you details!

CielloRegalo

Hey fellow Stuckies. This Gathering is my priority for Fanime. I will be Sollux, my boyfriend will be Karkat. If you need to fill those Assistant and Photography "Yellers" I am happy to help since I am more interested in taking pics then being in them.
Also I noticed the photo line up lacks Ancestors and I request they be added. Thanks and let me know what I can do to make this happen.

octoberesque

Quote from: CielloRegalo on March 15, 2014, 04:36:22 AM
Hey fellow Stuckies. This Gathering is my priority for Fanime. I will be Sollux, my boyfriend will be Karkat. If you need to fill those Assistant and Photography "Yellers" I am happy to help since I am more interested in taking pics then being in them.
Also I noticed the photo line up lacks Ancestors and I request they be added. Thanks and let me know what I can do to make this happen.

Ancestors, I assumed, go under Trolls by Blood Color. Or do we need a whole separate grouping? If so, we'd need to add Dancestors as well. I've also requested to remove the Video Game Characters category, since (afaik, I'm not a supporter of the game) we don't know what the characters even look like yet. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I know there was one character design released to supporters but I don't think we need to add the game in, probably until next year.

CielloRegalo

Quote from: octoberesque on March 15, 2014, 09:40:44 AM
Ancestors, I assumed, go under Trolls by Blood Color. Or do we need a whole separate grouping? If so, we'd need to add Dancestors as well. I've also requested to remove the Video Game Characters category, since (afaik, I'm not a supporter of the game) we don't know what the characters even look like yet. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I know there was one character design released to supporters but I don't think we need to add the game in, probably until next year.
I feel strongly that the effort that goes into the Ancestors cosplay ( Summoner, Psionic, Mindfang, Condes, all the others as well of course) is a LOT of work and should be acknowledged. I have always had the Dancestors be separate as well (alpha trolls and better trolls just like the alpha and beta kids) at other conventions. Obviously this requires a LOT of different groups to come in and out for the photoshoots but Hussie keeps making characters! -_- And we love them all. I would suggest having troll groups called in Alpha and Beta as oppose to Low Blood and High Blood. We could do both too but the time frame honestly for all the groups and 'couple shots' that might be requested would take several hours. (I spent 3 hours in the sun in Sacramento at a Homestuck Gathering at Sac-Anime and boy did I get sunburn!)
I have always experienced a role call of the kids individually as well as Alpha, Beta groups and then 'prospit and derse siblings' for John/Jade and Rose/Dave and then the flip ship of Rose/John and Jade/Dave but that could take waaaay too much time. I am not certain what the gathering area size is or if it will for sure be indoors or out (I missed Fanime last year but the year prior there was a mass gathering at the park across the street is more then enough room.)
As far as a video game the only one I am aware of is Namco High which is released and the only characters in it are Davesprite, Jane and Terezi and only Terezi has a slightly different outfit then usual; sporting a red hoodie. This I would assume to be acceptable with all other Terezi/Pyrope/Teal-Bloods called up for photos.
I really do hope this is of help and I am happy to continue assisting. I may suggest since most Gatherings are an hour in length, tops that we have an unofficial gathering to continue at the said park across the street where we can have request photos (Scourge Sisters, ships, special requests, ect) and have general hang out time for those whom desire.
EDIT: I noticed after the fact that the meet up IS INDEED at the park. Sorry I didn't notice that before posting.

octoberesque

I think I responded to you via pm, but there will be no shipping poses or the like. I've requested that "video game characters" be swapped out for "ancestors" and "dancestors" due to the lack of common knowledge of the video game! Just a note, the "Homestuck video game" was a Kickstarter project and the current reason for the Gigapause; I am referencing this and not Namco High when I say "video game characters." I will have to check out TZ's sweet new hoodie, though...

CielloRegalo

Oh I didn't know you were referring to the Kickstarter :D! I have a huge request/suggestion. I am entering the masquerade and there might be other Homestucks that are too. The Gathering starts exactly when the Masquerade does :( Because we do not get to pick the time slot that is given to us for the skits. So if anyone else has a request for the time to change please speak up since at this point I might have to either miss the Homestuck Gathering (which is my priority except this is the first con I am participating in a skit so it will have to be priority) or part of it :(
I do not expect the time or day will change but I wanted to express that the time starts exactly when the Masquerade does just in case some people were unaware. Thank you.

octoberesque

From past years, I expected that date and time to be a sort of placeholder. I am not sure that is the officially scheduled date and time. BSaphire, is this the case, or can we expect the schedule to shift a little as we get closer to the event?

Nina Star 9

I've put up the official Dinnerstuck post on Tumblr, and leaving a link here, along with the basic information about the event. The link has all the rules and everything, but it's a bit much for a forums post. ;]

http://fabrickind.tumblr.com/post/81416731995

The basics:
Date: Saturday, May 24th
Time: 6:00PM.
Locations: Meet at the Quetzalcoatl Sculpture at Cesar Chavez Park; walk to the Old Spaghetti Factory. (51 N. San Pedro)
Cost: $10~15/person (menu found here)
Includes vegetarian + gluten-free options, message me if any other health concerns or dietary restrictions
Size: 20 people (18/20 slots currently open)
All-ages, alcohol free
RSVP required

To RSVP, message me either here or on tumblr with your (user)name and how many other people you expect to bring, and their (user)names if possible.
(I don't have any other social media sites to post this to, sorry. :[ If someone finds this post who doesn't have an account either here or tumblr, message me on anon on tumblr and I'll figure out a way to add you to the list)

Any other questions, feel free to message me. :]

BSaphire

I updated the first post and I hope I did the listing right. Please let me know if there are changes.

@ octoberesque: Thank you for handling the Can Town Project, but please let me know who is assisting you.

@ NinaStar9: Updated the DinnerStuck info.

@ CielloRegalo: I understand your concern about performing at Masquerade and the gathering being at the same time. Many of the Homestuck cosplayers also do other cosplay and or plan on attending the B & W ball. That was the concern as to why 4 pm worked last year so well and by having special events on other days it helps those that can't make it to one part still hang out with other Stuckies :P

This gathering had about 300 people last year and if an organizer tries to accommodate everyone then it will fall apart. The best I can suggest is that you could move it to 3 pm an/or alter the photographer order so that the groups needing to leave early for their performance do have a chance to have group pictures with the gathering. My suggestion would be to adjust your photography order so that the group that is leaving will have time to be a part of the gathering. The gathering will be at the park for at least 2 hours (going off of what I saw last year) so this accommodation would be easier to do for such a large group than altering the time. Time alterations loose larger amounts of people in a gathering than just adjusting your photo order. Talk to octoberesque about the photo order since she will need to provide that soon for Confirmation.

Squidges
B
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

IneloquentFormalties

Good luck with the Gathering this year you guys! I'll be there cheering you on from the sidelines! <3
Tumblr::IneloquentFormalities
Facebook::EloquentArtistry

octoberesque

WOW GUYS WE ARE GETTING CLOSE TO ONE MONTH OUT! How did this happen???

For those of you who have expressed interest in volunteering/helping out at the gathering, I am looking for a few individuals over the age of 18! There will be a mandatory organizational meeting on Monday, April 28th at 7pm. If you cannot make it to downtown San Jose for any reason, you are invited to Skype in, or pm me here to discuss a rescheduling. However, Mondays are my only day off, so I cannot be as flexible as I would like...

The organizational meeting will take place near the light rail and public transit, at the Starbucks on 3rd and Santa Clara. If you have any questions, please let me know. I look forward to meeting you all!

crossposted to tumblr, facebook, etc.

octoberesque

Just a reminder that the organizational meeting for this gathering is TONIGHT. If you need my Skype info and a link to tonight's agenda, be sure to check in with me before 6pm PST today!

I look forward to seeing those of you that can make it!

Nina Star 9

Bumping this a bit, and adding new info about Dinnerstuck.

I am still taking RSVPs, so if you want to attend but haven't messaged me yet (either here or on tumblr), please do so! The cutoff date has been extended to next Saturday (the 17th), and I won't be able to accommodate any RSVPs after that time because I'll have already made the reservation at the restaurant.

Also, there has been a time change due to an event conflict, so the new meeting time is 8:15PM. The meeting place and day are the same, it's just the time that has changed. Since it will be dark/getting dark, I'll be bringing lighted devices for safety.

I hope to see y'all there. :]

keitoghostie

Hello Homestuck fans! Happy day zero eve!

My name is Kate, and I'm one of the assistants who will be friendleading the gathering!
All of the organizers and assistants have been working hard behind the scenes to make this gathering fun and successful

We are now confirmed for 4pm on Sunday and we ask you to please plan to arrive promptly so we can kick things off as soon as possible, allowing for a swift and smooth running gathering. If you arrive late, there is a chance that you may miss your photo group, so please pay attention to the photo lineup in the first post.

If any altercations or concerns arise, I - as well as the other gathering friendleaders - will be happy to assist with any issue we are able to handle.
We plan on wearing bright green sashes or similarly obvious markers, so keep a lookout for us! We want this to be the best gathering we can manage!

I wish you all an awesome FanimeCon and hope to see you there!

Imperial

is there any interest in doing this gathering this year?

Nina Star 9

Quote from: tjimmy2 on February 03, 2015, 01:46:32 PM
is there any interest in doing this gathering this year?
I am not interested in running or helping run the gathering, but I am certainly interested in attending. I think that this will still be a popular gathering, despite some dwindling interest in the comic generally. I hope someone steps up and helps run it!

(I should be doing another Dinnerstuck, though, if anyone is interested. Running a large gathering like the main HS gathering is too much for me to handle, especially since I usually wear one of my most difficult to wear cosplays to this gathering [Condesce].)