Panels will be in the Fairmont?

Started by InsaneChan, March 09, 2014, 12:27:27 AM

InsaneChan

The Fanime splash page has just been updated with a link to panel information. Apparently panels will be held in the Fairmont this year. Personally, this seems like a huge hassle, but being optimistic I hope it will work out. I wonder what the rooms in the Marriott will be used for now though? Or will they not be used at all?

Love. Life. fANIME.

Admiral Donuts

...has the badge discount always been a thing?

InsaneChan

Quote from: Admiral Donuts on March 09, 2014, 12:55:50 AM
...has the badge discount always been a thing?

It has actually. But you only get it if you register at-con.
Love. Life. fANIME.

keitoghostie

Last year there were a FEW panels in the Fairmont (one of them I was co-hosting) and it was kind of weird and out of the way.
The rooms were nice but the experience was definitely different from hosting one in the Marriott.

What surprises me is that they're holding panels away from the convention center even with the increase of space from last year, but hopefully that means the space will be used for hella exciting things!
I doubt they'll let close-proximity spaces go to waste, to be honest.

InsaneChan

Quote from: keitoghostie on March 09, 2014, 03:04:48 AM
Last year there were a FEW panels in the Fairmont (one of them I was co-hosting) and it was kind of weird and out of the way.
The rooms were nice but the experience was definitely different from hosting one in the Marriott.

What surprises me is that they're holding panels away from the convention center even with the increase of space from last year, but hopefully that means the space will be used for hella exciting things!
I doubt they'll let close-proximity spaces go to waste, to be honest.

Yeah, one of the reasons I dislike staying at the Fairmont is that it's a hassle to go back and forth between the convention center and there all weekend. But it seems it doesn't really matter now. I'm staying at the Hilton, which makes me even further away now x-x

That's the main thing I was thinking of as well....a big new con center, but apparently no room for panels? It seems very strange. But, as you said, I'm hoping that means they have some exciting ulterior motive! [Although, knowing this Fanime staff...=_= that seems like a bit of a stretch]

Love. Life. fANIME.

Admiral Donuts

Don't forget that swap meet space wasn't used for anything other than empty space once it was over last year  :-\

CeruleanRogue

I hosted my panel at the Fairmont last year.  I loved the room, it was HUGE (and I filled almost the entire space)!  However, is Panel Ops still at the Marriott?  That was the big hassle for me; my boyfriend and I stayed at the Fairmont (called while on the stairs up to Ops to check in, dratted stairwells and no reception), so I had to scurry over to the Marriott to check in, then scurry back to the Fairmont to set up and get ready.  I was still able to make it with time to spare, but it was a colossal hassle.  =\

keitoghostie

Quote from: CeruleanRogue on March 17, 2014, 08:46:54 PM
I hosted my panel at the Fairmont last year.  I loved the room, it was HUGE (and I filled almost the entire space)!  However, is Panel Ops still at the Marriott?  That was the big hassle for me; my boyfriend and I stayed at the Fairmont (called while on the stairs up to Ops to check in, dratted stairwells and no reception), so I had to scurry over to the Marriott to check in, then scurry back to the Fairmont to set up and get ready.  I was still able to make it with time to spare, but it was a colossal hassle.  =\

I had a similar experience (loved the size of the room, disliked having to scramble from place to place) and I would REALLY hope that the Panelist Lounge is also in the Fairmont!

Angelx624

With them being in the Fairmont this year, I also really hope Panel Ops is also in the Fairmont. Running back and forth like that would definitely be a hassle.

And I am curious as to why they're having panels at the Fairmont when they have all this new con space. I do hope you guys are right in there maybe being some new exciting stuff!! But we won't know til the staff decides not to be so hush hush about things......
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)

ashimada

The Panelist Lounge (base of panels operations) WILL be in the Fairmont this year. No running back and forth.

Larger panel rooms were not available to this department in the main Convention Center, so we chose to move to the Fairmont.
The capacity of the rooms are significantly larger than what they have been in previous years.

-Alisa S.
Panels Second
FanimeCon 09-14
Alisa S.
Panels Head '15
FanimeCon 09-15

Glitch

What most concerns me is how much this affects attendance. People are mostly walking around the convention center, so I think that would be a boost to some panels attendance number.
Now I'm wondering how much this is cut down by having attendees walk a further distance.

Of course I could be wrong. But I'm still gonna promote my panel like hell to be safe.

InsaneChan

At least the lounge will be near by, but I'm still not looking forward to walking back and forth so much this year.
Love. Life. fANIME.

Firefury Amahira

Quote from: Glitch on March 18, 2014, 05:44:09 PM
What most concerns me is how much this affects attendance. People are mostly walking around the convention center, so I think that would be a boost to some panels attendance number.
Now I'm wondering how much this is cut down by having attendees walk a further distance.

Of course I could be wrong. But I'm still gonna promote my panel like hell to be safe.
While I don't have hard numbers to show it, I'm fairly certain that the panels in the Fairmont last year did likely average lower numbers than the ones in the Marriott. On the other hand, if ALL the panels are in the Fairmont, in theory there's going to be higher traffic over there anyhow, and no panel is going to have an unfair advantage due to distance over another like existed last year.

Still, kinda holding out hope for panels to get shifted back to the main con center area and/or the Marriott, though this late in the game I imagine it's unlikely for this year. I mean, sure, the rooms might be nicer and bigger, but that distance from the main center of all the convention activity is a serious issue for something that comprises a pretty large chunk of the con's actual content, y'know?

Alisa, just curious, but who would you suggest we aim our feedback at to try and ensure that the Panels department gets decent rooms closer to/actually in the con center, if not this year, then for next year? Or should we hold off and just drop that into the post-con feedback form after this year?
"Fandom should be fun!" - Firefury Amahira
--
Looking for help writing fanfiction?

keitoghostie

Last year I hosted one in the Marriott and one in the Fairmont and there was a notable difference in audience size - one other factor was that the one in the Fairmont replaced a cancelled panel, so nobody was really expecting us to be there. We still had a turnout which was nice.

All in all I think that if people set their mind to attending a panel then they're going to make time for it! I think there may be a slight decrease due to the convenience factor but I think it won't be an incredibly significant difference.

Also, I'm glad to hear that the lounge is near the panels, thank you!

Admiral Donuts

I think if they put the bigger popular panels at the Fairmont it won't be as much of a problem since people will actively seek them out. Does anyone know if the Fairmont has a better set-up for lining up?

Don't forget that overall this means more space = more panels = more fun!

ashimada

In past years, some of the most popular Panels have filled up very quickly, leading to people being turned away at the door due to the restrictions of room capacities. We are hoping that having rooms at the Fairmont will ensure that everyone who wants to attend a panel will be able to attend.

If you are concerned about attendance numbers at your panel, we always encourage Panelists to advertise their panels ahead of time. We have information about it on our info page (http://apps.fanime.com/2014/panelinfo/#advertising) including how you can get a time-slot at Stage Zero to help spread the word, something that has been very effective for Panelists in the past.

If you want to provide feedback about the move, we would encourage you to submit it to the convention and panels after the convention, after the actual experience of presenting your panel in the Fairmont.
Alisa S.
Panels Head '15
FanimeCon 09-15

Angelx624

Well, good to know the panelist lounge will also be in the Fairmont! Saves us time having to run back and forth.
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Kagome (Inuyasha)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)