The Official 2014 Black & White Ball Dress Code and Attire Questions Thread

Started by le_momo, March 12, 2014, 12:12:53 PM

Wabbit98

Quote from: jumbocrayon on May 01, 2014, 10:44:23 AM
Hi :)

I've been working very hard on an Elsa cosplay dress and would love to wear it to the ball, but I'm not sure about the slit height requirement, as it falls *slightly* above the top of my kneecap (but doesn't show much thigh!).  Would I be turned away for that?

Also, as far as the cape goes, should I detach it for the ball, try and bustle it, or just let it go?  I didn't see anything in the rules about long capes.

Thanks so much!!

Is it possible that you might have a picture of the skirt so we can get a better idea?

Capes : nothing in the rules against capes, but we just want you to be careful while wearing so that you or other people do not trip over it.
2010 - 2013 :Black and White Ball Staff

2014-2015 : Black and White Ball Department Second

2015 : Extravaganzas Division Second

jumbocrayon

Hi-

Here's a picture of the slit with my knee showing through, but in reality I made the skirt way too big, so it doesn't show my leg unless I'm posing for it.  You can see what I mean in this WIP shot: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3488591/.

Thanks for helping to clarify!
Fanime 2015 CosLineup:
Friday: PMMM Group (school uniform sayaka)
Saturday: Gunner Yuna (FFX-2)
Sunday: Mulan group
Monday Morning: TBD

Nina Star 9

jumbocrayon>
not an official answer here, as I'm not staff, but I've had experience with the same type of issue.

Last year, I wore a dress with a rather large slit up the side, and was able to safety pin fabric into the open area above my knee in order to pass dress code. My skirt was fairly tight, so I needed the extra fabric in order to get it closed, but you might be able to get away with safety pinning (or hand basting, etc.) it shut to below the knee, since there is so much excess. You can then just remove the pins or stitching later, once the ball is over.

That way, you'll be able to wear your cosplay but have no problems with dress code. It looks like an easy enough conversion to me. :]

As for capes and trains, I'd personally bustle those up or leave them off (if possible), even if there is no official policy, because the ball can get fairly crowded, and people will step on it, and possibly damage or rip it.

Wabbit98

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on May 02, 2014, 07:14:43 PM

Last year, I wore a dress with a rather large slit up the side, and was able to safety pin fabric into the open area above my knee in order to pass dress code. My skirt was fairly tight, so I needed the extra fabric in order to get it closed, but you might be able to get away with safety pinning (or hand basting, etc.) it shut to below the knee, since there is so much excess. You can then just remove the pins or stitching later, once the ball is over

Nina Star makes a very good point about slits.
2010 - 2013 :Black and White Ball Staff

2014-2015 : Black and White Ball Department Second

2015 : Extravaganzas Division Second

jumbocrayon

I didn't even think of safety pins! That's a great idea; thank you so much :D
Fanime 2015 CosLineup:
Friday: PMMM Group (school uniform sayaka)
Saturday: Gunner Yuna (FFX-2)
Sunday: Mulan group
Monday Morning: TBD

Elladancosplay

So I have some one with me who would want to be satans for the black and white ball.... Would that work? Ok change the bottoms

le_momo

Quote from: Elladancosplay on May 03, 2014, 07:15:55 PM
So I have some one with me who would want to be satans for the black and white ball.... Would that work? Ok change the bottoms

My apologies for the late response - I thought someone had gotten back to you already.

Satans from Dragonball? Or as a devil or some other cosplay? I am honestly not sure since I don't know what look they are planning on going for.

- Rebecca
2017-2024 Extravaganzas Head
2013-2024 Black & White Ball Head
2010-2012 Black & White Ball Instructor/Staff/Second
FanimeCon attendee since 2005

Ambigram

Hello! This is my friend here wearing the dress she would like to wear to the ball. She's wondering if the back of her dress is too low? There's about 3 1/2 inches of lacing from the top of the back.

le_momo

Quote from: Ambigram on May 18, 2014, 04:00:28 PM
[*IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/24bkntk.jpg[/img]

Hello! This is my friend here wearing the dress she would like to wear to the ball. She's wondering if the back of her dress is too low? There's about 3 1/2 inches of lacing from the top of the back.

That dress is definitely appropriate for the Black & White Ball! We have no rules about straps or low backs on dresses, so your friend shouldn't have any issues with that. :)

- Rebecca

Kell-chan

Hello, mods!

I've read over the dress code rather extensively, but I thought I might bother you lovely mods for a confirmation. I'll be in a cosplay outfit that fits all the requirements as I understand it. I'll be wearing a dress shirt under a vest, with a velvet dress coat, and dark green chino pants. I understand that khakis are allowed, but I wanted to double-check the pants.

I will be wearing traditional men's dress shoes with this. Thank you kindly in advance ~

le_momo

Quote from: Kell-chan on May 19, 2014, 01:25:39 AM
Hello, mods!

I've read over the dress code rather extensively, but I thought I might bother you lovely mods for a confirmation. I'll be in a cosplay outfit that fits all the requirements as I understand it. I'll be wearing a dress shirt under a vest, with a velvet dress coat, and dark green chino pants. I understand that khakis are allowed, but I wanted to double-check the pants.
[*img]http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2014/075/a/2/rwby__baking_with_ozpin_by_baconflavoredcosplay-d7ag0e2.png[/img]

I will be wearing traditional men's dress shoes with this. Thank you kindly in advance ~

The outfit in the pictures you've attached will be perfectly acceptable! Chino/Khaki pants are sort of interchangeable in terms, but chino pants are a bit dressier. You'll have no problems at the door with them. :)

- Rebecca

Kell-chan

ninagarnet

1) Will i be able to wear a dress above my knee caps if i wear sheers?
2) im going in formal cosplay, will i be allowed to wear my gun holster?
3) would a single, fingerless glove fit the 'gloves' category?
2014 Cosplay List! (Days tenative)

Fem! Carlos, Welcome to Nightvale -Friday
Fem! Sherlock Holmes, BBC Sherlock -Saturday
Fem! Jake English, Homestuck -Sunday
Fem! Canada (Matthew Williams) -Monday

Im Looking For A Fanime Buddy! c:

le_momo

Quote from: ninagarnet on May 21, 2014, 04:35:33 PM
1) Will i be able to wear a dress above my knee caps if i wear sheers?
2) im going in formal cosplay, will i be allowed to wear my gun holster?
3) would a single, fingerless glove fit the 'gloves' category?

Unfortunately, there are no exceptions for skirts/dresses above the knee caps. A dress/skirt that goes above it will not be allowed.

As long as a gun prop is not in said holster, yes it will be fine to wear.

Yes, a single glove is perfectly fine! :)

- Rebecca

somegirlkatie

Are there any restrictions on military service dress? I am in Air Force ROTC and I own my service dress.

princesskitty18

Quote from: somegirlkatie on May 22, 2014, 10:53:17 AM
Are there any restrictions on military service dress? I am in Air Force ROTC and I own my service dress.

off the top of my head i don't see why not. as long as the length of the dress is appropriate, then we're solid :)
Fanime attendee since 2006
2012 Black & White Ball volunteer
2013-now Black & White Ball Staff

Follow us on Facebook page and Twitter!
- https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
- https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/