Additional AA information

Started by ewu, March 18, 2014, 03:46:55 PM

ewu

Here is some additional information:

Memberships:
The membership to attend Fanime is separate from the table purchase. You must be a registered member to receive a table. We're trying to make them combined in the future, but we're not there yet.

The room:
This year we will have about 275 tables. Last year we had 348 tables for artists. That's roughly 80% the capacity of last year. Each artist will be limited to one table. Half tables are NOT available however, two artists may share a table.

Your image submission and portfolio:
We are looking for images from your portfolio. Artists should have a portfolio, if not, this is a great opportunity to build one. We are looking for 3-5 images.This is not just one item in each photo, but you may put multiple items in each photo or one photo with all the items you want to submit for review. Anything is fine as long as we can make out the items (don't go an cram 300 things in a medium sized photo....).

We may request a link to your portfolio, if we need to delve deeper into your art.

The Jury:
We want to let you know we did not pick a jury selection willy nilly, but have put much thought into it. It was based on the reduced number of tables in the room and on general trends in the room.

The identity of the artists will not have any bearing on the evaluation.  We will have more than one or two judges looking at the work, roughly 3-5. This is so that we have a diverse group evaluate the submissions. We will primarily be looking at the works to ensure rule compliance and evaluate at a minimum bar. This is because of the lower number of tables and the high demand for table, that minimum bar may raise and lower depending on the number of submissions. We will not be doing a 'load balancing' based on art type or medium.

The image submissions must be online already. We are only accepting links in the application. We have run into substantial issues with emailed submissions. Email would be accepted but it would definitely have a negative impact on your evaluation.

The artists will be evaluated on a table-by-table basis and artists sharing a table will be evaluated together.  If one of the two artists has an issue we will let both know. If someone applies as a pair, we tell them both and they can decide to either not sell the items, drop themselves from the pairing, or the entire pair withdraws.

We are considering making the submission period 48 hours instead of a week. We are considering doing first come first serve instead of a jury system. Please stay tuned.

Temporary Sellers Permit:
Artists must have temporary sellers permits before being assigned a table. We suggest getting one now if you plan on applying. We will confirm all permit numbers before con without exception. Without a valid permit prior to the convention, you will not be able to sell.

Panelists:
If you applied as a panelist, will be much the same as last year. We will bypass membership check step if you are a verified panelist.

I will continue to check this page and the forums for additional questions.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: ewu on March 18, 2014, 03:46:55 PM
The room:
This year we will have about 275 tables

I guessed 260, so I was only off by 5%. Go, me.

The image submissions must be online already. We are only accepting links in the application. We have run into substantial issues with emailed submissions. Email would be accepted but it would definitely have a negative impact on your evaluation.

If anybody is looking for a good place to host their photos, I suggest Imgur.com

The artists will be evaluated on a table-by-table basis and artists sharing a table will be evaluated together.

What prevents artists from submitting only for one, but having two different artists at the table?

We are considering making the submission period 48 hours instead of a week. We are considering doing first come first serve instead of a jury system. Please stay tuned.

If you're doing a jury system, why does it matter how long submissions are open as long as you have a cut-off date?

Artists must have temporary sellers permits before being assigned a table. We suggest getting one now if you plan on applying. We will confirm all permit numbers before con without exception. Without a valid permit prior to the convention, you will not be able to sell.

Where does one apply?

phr34kish

Quote from: Admiral Donuts on March 18, 2014, 04:13:41 PM

Where does one apply?

Any local California Board of Equalization office or online: http://www.boe.ca.gov/info/reg.htm

List of office locations: http://www.boe.ca.gov/info/phone.htm

SquishyK

If you're doing a jury system, why does it matter how long submissions are open as long as you have a cut-off date?

This is because people thought having a long submission period would only further drag out finalizing the table list.

Where does one apply?

CA Board of Equalization but I assume AA will post more details later.
I sell cute and geeky polymer clay jewelry!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SquishyKreations
http://squishykreations.tumblr.com

Tested/MythBusters:
"Failure is always an option"
"Try again, fail again, fail better"
"Art is never finished, only abandoned"

SquishyK

Figures, I post a wall of text on one thread about the topic and they immediately start another.
I sell cute and geeky polymer clay jewelry!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SquishyKreations
http://squishykreations.tumblr.com

Tested/MythBusters:
"Failure is always an option"
"Try again, fail again, fail better"
"Art is never finished, only abandoned"

cowsrcute

Does anyone know what happens if you apply for a seller's permit but don't get a table? I normally apply for one after I get the table but not sure when "assigned a table" happens so I got one now like they said. Do you still have to do the taxes and stuff if you don't get a table?

LightandDarkSoul

How big are the tables this year?

ewu

Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

LiL Moon

Quote from: cowsrcute on March 18, 2014, 06:02:52 PM
Does anyone know what happens if you apply for a seller's permit but don't get a table? I normally apply for one after I get the table but not sure when "assigned a table" happens so I got one now like they said. Do you still have to do the taxes and stuff if you don't get a table?
No, you don't have to pay taxes for the permit if you are not selling. If you don't get in, you would need to contact the permit office and let them know so they can cancel it.

cowsrcute

LightandDarkSoul

Will raffling off personal art (like exclusive merchandise or exclusive prints) be allowed at Artist Alley? I plan to hold one at my table to raffle for an item I plan to make. I know some conventions don't allow this, but I'm wondering if Fanime is also one of these cons.

ewu

Quote from: LightandDarkSoul on March 21, 2014, 05:13:55 AM
Will raffling off personal art (like exclusive merchandise or exclusive prints) be allowed at Artist Alley? I plan to hold one at my table to raffle for an item I plan to make. I know some conventions don't allow this, but I'm wondering if Fanime is also one of these cons.

Sorry, no raffles. Raffles bring up too many issues.

Thanks
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

ewu

Hello All. Please see our newest post on the Fanime Website www.fanime.com regarding the Artist Alley: http://apps.fanime.com/2014/artistinfo/
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Hachimitsu

Hi i wanted to know if art gallery will still be there this year..
It's nice to know that we have 275 tables in total, but the same time i really am worried that Grand Ballroom C (huge guess here) will be occupied and there wont be any space for the art gallery.